Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Free Alternatives to Microsoft Office? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 31 2015 at 8:16am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Does anyone use one of the free alternatives to Office? Another of my guys needs a laptop - and getting another license for Office is really expensive. I am looking at Open Office - there is google drive, and microsoft online - but they can only be used with internet. I would love to know if you can do the following with OpenOffice:

1. Open Word documents that someone else sends you

2. Create documents that can be read by Microsoft Word - he will have to submit papers to a professor with Word

3. Can definitely be used without internet

Thanks so much.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 31 2015 at 9:33am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

For a time, a few years ago, we didn't have Office and used Open Office. It was recommended by the tech guy at dh's work. I don't know if something better has come along since then or if it has changed since then, but as long as you weren't trying to do fancy formatting, it was perfectly fine. For a college student's needs, I would think it would be sufficient.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 31 2015 at 8:34pm | IP Logged Quote ekbell

We use open office and yes, documents can be opened and saved in word format and no you do not need to be hooked up to the Internet. My oldest dd used it for highschool classes with no problem, whatsoever.

The only thing to watch out for is that sometimes very complicated documents change just a bit in conversion, normally not enough to be a concern but it can be annoying. The forms I need to fill out for our school board are emailed to me in word and what with the graphics, columns, checkboxes and different fonts ... things don't always line up properly.

This isn't normally a problem for a simple essay with perhaps a few footnotes and a picture or two inserted.
Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 02 2015 at 6:20am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

The guys who were working on Open Office stopped working on it so it's no longer supported.

Switched to LibreOffice because of that.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 02 2015 at 8:21am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

stefoodie wrote:
The guys who were working on Open Office stopped working on it so it's no longer supported.

Switched to LibreOffice because of that.

Thanks for this information Stef. Libreoffice looks great - just what we are looking for. I need to spend time looking at it in detail, but I have a couple of questions for you:

1. If my son prepared his semester reports in Libreoffice - will I be able to open them in Word (all the rest of us have Word)

2. If I send my son documents in Word - will he be able to open them.

3. When he gets an email with a word document, will the document automatically open when he clicks on it, or will he have to convert it into some other format.

4. Will he be able to convert documents into pdf? Right now, we often convert word documents into pdfs so that more people can read them.

Thanks so much for your help.

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 02 2015 at 9:36am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

No idea about Word. Will need to ask hubby and sons :) I'll come back later when I have answers. :)

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

mylonite
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 02 2015 at 10:06am | IP Logged Quote mylonite

Marilyn, I don't know about the word questions but I know that he would be able to convert Libreoffice documents to PDF. There's a button that does it, I do it all the time.

Mama also to four in Heaven
Back to Top View mylonite's Profile Search for other posts by mylonite Visit mylonite's Homepage

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 02 2015 at 10:45am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

What about Google Drive as an app on the computer? There is an internet component, obviously -- documents are stored in Drive -- but you can access them offline via the app on the computer. Google Drive will create new documents (via Google Docs), convert them to docx -- you can also use an app called Cloud Convert to convert them to pdf.

I do a good bit of sharing via Google Drive/Google Docs. With my Homeschool Connections students, I've started uploading their writing into Google Docs, making my editorial comments, and sharing it with them via a link that gives them editorial access, too, so that they can rewrite. All of that takes place online, but documents are also saved to Google Drive on my computer, so that I can access them even offline. When I'm back online, the app syncs with the Google Drive cloud, so that things are backed up and updated there as well.

That may be more online functionality than you're looking for, but if you wanted a way to share and edit, plus have your son able to access his work on the computer offline, that's one way to go.

I have to say -- a couple of weeks ago my son was writing college scholarship application essays and sending them to me to edit in Google Docs (he was just creating and writing in Docs, then sharing with me). At one point, as I was finishing up an edit of an essay, I could see him coming along behind me and making changes on the document. In the sidebar comments I asked him, "Are you actually revising this right now as I watch you?" He said, "Yep." At the time, I was at home in my kitchen, and he was on campus at the Abbey. It was amazing that we were collaborating on his essay, in real time, at that distance.

I may need professional help for my love affair with Google . . . :)

Sally

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 02 2015 at 12:50pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

IIRC, documents will be fine -- it's spreadsheets that get trickier going from Google Spreadsheets to LibreOffice to Excel, etc.

mom to five

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 04 2015 at 8:48pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Yes, spreadsheets are trickier. I have Apple Numbers on my new laptop, and I really like it, because it has a checklist form PERFECT for lesson plans to give kids. But it does not translate happily into Google Sheets. Alas.

But documents are great.

Sally

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2015 at 7:55pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Thank you all for all the suggestions and advice. I will be looking in more detail at them, and maybe have a couple more questions. Life is just really busy right now - getting all the first semester graded and tidied away and reported, and then getting ready for Lent...

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version