Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living and Loving Numbers
 4Real Forums : Living and Loving Numbers
Subject Topic: resources for teaching time Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
countrymom
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 12 2015 at 8:25am | IP Logged Quote countrymom

My 5 year old can tell time better than my poor 9 year old. She is completely confused by it. Does anyone have any ideas for free online resources or any programs to buy that deal with this subject?
Back to Top View countrymom's Profile Search for other posts by countrymom

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 12 2015 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Can she skip-count by 5 confidently (I ask this because my 11-year-old has JUST really mastered this, and trouble with skip-counting/multiplication was part of it)?

Practice helps as much as anything. If you don't have a large-ish analog wall clock, you might pick up a cheap one and just practice moving the minute hands around while skip-counting (so "5" is on the 1, "10" is on the 2, and so on). Then hang it somewhere really prominent and get her to tell you the time periodically throughout the day.

MEP Year 3 also has some good time-telling exercises in the first practice book -- it's free online, and you could just scroll through and print out only those pages. There are word problems for figuring out all kinds of irregular-but-real-world time questions, plus clocks to look at, etc. There's lot of practice with making the connections between, say, "half past" an hour vs "that hour:30." And dealing with quarters of an hour. The link is here -- you just have to scroll down to Year 3 and choose pb1 (Practice Book 1). You might scan through the accompanying lesson plans for activities as well.

I've really come to see that mastering time-telling goes hand in hand with 1. multiplication, and making the connection that reading a clock is really doing multiplication by five; and 2. fractions, especially halves and quarters. So anything that helps with those things will also help with telling time, for a kid who just doesn't "see" it instinctively.

Sally

Aagot
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 12 2015 at 10:40am | IP Logged Quote Aagot

Right start has a great Clock Games Kit
http://store.rightstartmath.com/clockgameskit.aspx

Back to Top View Aagot's Profile Search for other posts by Aagot

countrymom
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Jan 12 2015 at 1:23pm | IP Logged Quote countrymom

thank you so much ladies
Back to Top View countrymom's Profile Search for other posts by countrymom

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 13 2015 at 12:58am | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

I shared this with my local group a few months ago:

We have used these resources to learn time for all the kids and it is great and quick. I like to use it in between math books/levels and just skip any time lessons in their regular math books. The wooden clock is very kid-friendly and easier to use than an analog one. Because the hands move accurately - the hour hand moves with the minute hand - the kids grasp the concepts of time quickly.

TellingTime with the Judy Clock Workbook

Judy Clock

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version