Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: Book List 2015 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Booksnbabes
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 29 2015 at 4:48pm | IP Logged Quote Booksnbabes

I just finished "Upstairs at the White House: My Life with the First Ladies" by J.B. West, which tells of his years as Usher and Chief Usher at the White House from 1941-1969. Now I want staff! Overall though I was rather appalled at the expense that goes into catering to the president and first lady. No wonder people fight dirty to get the job.

I also read "Sword and Serpent" by Taylor Marshall. Intended for probably a middle school audience, it is an enjoyable fiction about St. George (with a whole cast of other saints making their appearances), how he comes to do battle with the first dragon. I might make this one a read-aloud this winter. There are heavy topics in it--murder, revenge, battling demons, etc., so I wouldn't say it is for young children.

"Angela's Song" by AnnMarie Creedon was an ok novel about a woman widowed young and her subsequent remarriage. It contrasts her first marriage (not sacrament-centered) with her second (very sacrament-centered), especially with regard to her growing understanding of Theology of the Body. A little forced, but overall an enjoyable read.

Mysteries are my favorite genre, and I just stared the Albert Campion series by Margery Allingham. Cozy British mysteries, not quite as good as Lord Peter Whimsy in my opinion, but enjoyable enough. I'll likely read more. I also began the Peter Shandy mysteries by Charlotte MacLeod. Despite having more objectionable material in it than Campion or Whimsy or Christie, the first one was highly entertaining. Shandy and Helen are delightful, and the books are clearly not meant to be taken too seriously, making them nice, light reading.

I read Anton Chekhov's "Ward 6" and Sigrid Undset's "Ida Elisabeth" for Well-Read Moms Club. I found Chekhov's story thought-provoking, if not exactly enjoyable. I didn't care for Undset's book. I can't exactly put my finger on why, but I did not care for Ida Elisabeth, and her husband's family...ugh. I know others really enjoyed it though, so don't let my dislike deter you!

I listened to "Master and Commander" by Patrick O'Brian--I am so glad I did as I was considering it as a listen-aloud for the family and it is definitely NOT one my crew is ready to hear! All of us have been listening to "The Complete Sherlock Holmes" and have been enjoying them. The oldest two have added Doyle to their reading lists. We are also listening (again) to "The Chronicles of Narnia."

I also listened to "The Great Escape" by Paul Brickhill--I enjoyed this one thoroughly!!! Not for the kids yet, but I could see this being a high-school read in a couple years. Amazing how they were able to work on the tunnels, heartbreaking how those who made it out were treated.

Right now I am working on "It Starts with Food" by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig. This is the first book written by the Whole30 couple, and our family is contemplating trying it for Lent. We could definitely use a change after the last few weeks of multiple holiday and birthday indulgences! It was brought up at the last Well-Read Moms gathering I attended, a couple of them having done it or being in the midst of it.

What has everyone been reading lately?

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 29 2015 at 6:39pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Thank you for this update! I have been wondering about a couple of Taylor Marshall novels... have been eyeing them for read aloud as well.

Can I ask what version of Sherlock Holmes you are listening to? I have been trying to find the complete set for the car, but our library here oddly has very little to choose from, so I am thinking about buying second hand set.

I am just finishing up Along the Shore, which is a collection of short stories by LM Montgomery. I can't say it my favorite book from her, but the last story is quite hilarious.

Also did the Thirty-three Days to Morning Glory consecration and enjoyed the book very much.

I just started Teaching From Rest. With dh traveling so much lately, I feel like I need to pare down and streamline academically for the spring so I can keep everything (house, meals, puppy, laundry, activities, kids and school) going.

In the car, we just finished up listening to these three new Star Wars books- retellings of the original three but very well done and fun to listen to, especially the second one, which includes Jedi training exercises:

Star Wars: A New Hope The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back So You Want to Be a Jedi?
Star Wars: Return of the Jedi Beware the Power of the Dark Side!

Favorite read aloud this year so far has been The Gate by Nancy Belanger. It really drew the kids (and me) in.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 29 2015 at 8:37pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I read "Upstairs at the White House" when it was first published (yes, I was a kid ). Great book.

My Christmas gifts included SPQR, which I am reading now, an interesting book about drug sentencing and its effects on African-Americans, The Outlandish Companion Volume II (can't start that until I have some time off work!), and a book about the building of the Statue of Liberty. I am really looking forward to the last one - I love books about building things. I've read a couple of books about the Panama Canal this year, and David McCullough's book about the Brooklyn Bridge was fascinating. (Yes, I am the daughter and granddaughter of engineers!)

I have done a lot of reading for classes I teach, too. I love A Long Walk to Water by Linda Sue Park (for teens who can handle a story of the Lost Boys of Sudan). My history students loved Code Talker and were surprised by how much they liked The Dreamer (about Pablo Neruda as a child - his somewhat unconventional adult life is not part of the story). I also read Oliver Twist for the first time...the first Dickens story I've ever enjoyed reading!

John Steinbeck's The Moon is Down, a novella from the WWII period, is one of the best things I read this year. My students liked it, too, even though it is sad.

I may have mentioned in another thread that I read Brooklyn (now a film that I don't intend to see) by Colm Toibin. I disliked it, so I read it again, thinking I had missed something that everyone else saw. Apparently I missed it again, as I wound up actively disliking the main character. I hope you liked it better than I did if you read it this year!

Booksnbabes
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 30 2015 at 8:44am | IP Logged Quote Booksnbabes

guitarnan wrote:
I have done a lot of reading for classes I teach, too. I love A Long Walk to Water by Linda Sue Park (for teens who can handle a story of the Lost Boys of Sudan). My history students loved Code Talker and were surprised by how much they liked The Dreamer (about Pablo Neruda as a child - his somewhat unconventional adult life is not part of the story). I also read Oliver Twist for the first time...the first Dickens story I've ever enjoyed reading!

John Steinbeck's The Moon is Down, a novella from the WWII period, is one of the best things I read this year. My students liked it, too, even though it is sad.

Thanks for these! I am always looking for books to keep in mind as the oldest grows older. This whole balancing preschooler through soon-to-be high-schooler is a bit overwhelming!

Booksnbabes
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 30 2015 at 8:46am | IP Logged Quote Booksnbabes

SeaStar wrote:

Can I ask what version of Sherlock Holmes you are listening to? I have been trying to find the complete set for the car, but our library here oddly has very little to choose from, so I am thinking about buying second hand set.

We are listening to this version from Audible. Simon Vance is a fantastic narrator, in my opinion.

Booksnbabes
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 30 2015 at 8:51am | IP Logged Quote Booksnbabes

DH and I also did 33 Days to Morning Glory (consecration on the 8th of Dec.), and we will start Consoling the Heart of Jesus next week. The Sisters at our parish are spearheading the study, but none of the group times work for us, so we will do it independently, as did we Morning Glory.

Rediscovering Jesus by Matthew Kelly will be my Lenten read.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 5
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version