Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: You don't have to be perfect! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 22 2014 at 3:09pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Love this article

"cause you know, some days you just can't find grass fed, hormone free organic beef or get around to making another special feast day cake or
printing put a special birthday banner for your kids. And somedays you don't even want to try ( at least I don't). I say bring on the pizza and sheet cake.

And here is another great article about dressing simply:
Why Successful People Wear The Same Thing Every Day.
I could totally get into this.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 22 2014 at 9:23pm | IP Logged Quote jawgee

SeaStar wrote:
"cause you know, some days you just can't find grass fed, hormone free organic beef or get around to making another special feast day cake or
printing put a special birthday banner for your kids. And somedays you don't even want to try ( at least I don't). I say bring on the pizza and sheet cake.

My DS is turning 9 and I wrote cake mix and a jar of frosting on the grocery list for this week. I had to force myself. I was saying, "Oh, I should just make it from scratch. It'll taste better," but I convinced myself it doesn't really matter. He'll be happy either way.

About the clothing - I remember being distracted by the nuns at mass earlier this year. I was struck by the functionality and ease of their habits. I wished that my wardrobe were that simple and functional. I'm not into fashion at all, but I do want to look presentable...

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 24 2014 at 11:45am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

jawgee wrote:

My DS is turning 9 and I wrote cake mix and a jar of frosting on the grocery list for this week. I had to force myself. I was saying, "Oh, I should just make it from scratch. It'll taste better," but I convinced myself it doesn't really matter. He'll be happy either way.

Sooo...you don't consider using cake mix still a homemade cake????   

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 24 2014 at 11:51am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

SeaStar wrote:

And here is another great article about dressing simply:
Why Successful People Wear The Same Thing Every Day.
I could totally get into this.

Ummm...WOW...I must be amazingly successful!!! Here's my choices: black, gray or brown elasticized stretchy pants (although somewhat dressy so I don't look like a complete slob ). If it's hot, it's capris and if it's cold, they're fleece lined. And then do I wear a short sleeve, long sleeve or fleece pullover (about 3-5 colors each are my choices)? That's pretty much my attire. I do have the occasional jeans and of course church wear.

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 24 2014 at 12:25pm | IP Logged Quote jawgee

Kathryn wrote:
jawgee wrote:

Sooo...you don't consider using cake mix still a homemade cake????   

Like I said in the other thread, I'm a "color in the lines" type. Perfectionistic, black-and-white, you know the kind.

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

countrymom
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Jan 08 2015 at 7:43pm | IP Logged Quote countrymom

thank you so much for the perfect mom article. I struggle with this, and right now I am pregnant with #8 and feeling like the biggest looser...and not in the weight category!

I do the simple clothes thing. I have 5 dresses and leggings to go under them with some sweaters to wear in winter. I have an indoor pair of shoes and my outdoor shoes. Easy, no worries
Back to Top View countrymom's Profile Search for other posts by countrymom

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2015 at 12:57am | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Love that article- I think of the days when my brothers and I ate frozen pot pies after school and watched Dr. Who and Rocket Robin Hood while my mom unwound. I might try the chicken fingers and the cocktail (make mine a Caesar!).

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2015 at 7:12am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Well I've been trying to do the homemade organic thing but I have 3 children that have food issues. When I do get pizza or chicken strips they call it a "party"! Now, talk to me about working out daily and having a perfect house and you will see that I am definitely NOT a "perfect mom". God knows me though, and entrusted these kids to me to raise so I guess, with His help, I wont mess them up too much!

For some reason my computer wont let me open the article about how successful people dress. I would definitely say I have a "uniform" though. The great thing about that is when my dh is buying a gift for me in the clothing department he knows exactly what I would like!
It seems like there was a thread about that some years back...

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 09 2015 at 7:38am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

This time of year, subtle depression kicks in, and the effort it takes to do basic things amplifies. So, making a meal feels huge, leaving the house, gargantuan. I had read the article about simple dressing and decision fatigue before, but in rereading it this morning, it made me wonder if that isn't part of what amplifies feelings of depression when every action becomes a choice instead of something you just do.

Becky, I hear you about the food thing!

I think that one thing that the Modern Moms article doesn't address is how no one is doing ALL those things. We see the person with the pretty home, the one with the healthiest meals, the one with the most disciplined artists or musicians, the ones that read all the time, the ones that are incredible hostesses, etc... and create this ideal that doesn't actually exist anywhere in real life.

I readily admit to my tendency to be a mile wide and an inch deep, and with all things in moderation, I can have a somewhat lovely home with somewhat accomplished children who are fairly well rounded and eat rather healthily. Though, I haven't managed to add moderate exercise or exceptionally tidy to the list

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version