Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Last of the Mohicans Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
sunny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 18 2014 at 4:48pm | IP Logged Quote sunny

We are doing American history so I thought we should watch the movie, Last of the Mohicans. I have seen many recommendations posted here, but my husband said he remembered it being very violent. There are 2 versions: the older with Randolph Scott and the 1992 with Daniel Day-Lewis.   Which do you think is being touted here and for what age do you think it is appropriate?
Thanks, ladies!
Back to Top View sunny's Profile Search for other posts by sunny

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 19 2014 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

The 1992 movie is pretty violent. Haven't seen the older one, but I think I'll check it out. We're about due for some kind of movie day!

Sally

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 20 2014 at 4:54am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Agree-
1992 is pretty graphic. My ds is twelve, and I would never have him watch it- it would give him nightmares.   I think it is well done, though, and really brings the story to life. I still remember clearly some of the scenes, and I have not seen it in years.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 20 2014 at 10:12am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Depends on ur kids and their ages and maturity. The 1992 version IS excellent and IS violent- but it was also a violent time. I let my kids watch it mostly because the movie somehow gave my brother strength and fortitude when he was dying of brain cancer-he watched it repeatedly and was important to him. Later -influenced by all that-my ds 10th grade decided to research James fenimore Cooper and was reallybswept up in the book, the genre, and Cooper's insight. We found an old leatherboundbset in Goodwill and ds treasures it

Ironically, *I* had to keep putting the BOOK down because it was such a gut-wrenching cliffhanger-Theyd ALMOST escape, then get captured... So many almosts i cdnt take it! Movie is equally exciting but indeed violent. U shd perhaps watch it yourself, first.

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 20 2014 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Haven't seen either, but am intrigued by the discussion and did some searching.

Trailer of the Randolph Scott. Clip would indicate it is more of the 1930's melodramatic type violence.

And the whole Scott film (with Spanish subtitles)

Earlier version - 1920, a silent film (whole film here 1+ hours)

Apparently there is a old TV series (circa 1957) that is "loosely" based on the book.

And speaking of TV, I found there was talk last year that FX was developing a miniseries based on the book (same screenwriter as 1992 movie but relying more heavily on source material of the book). Can't find any updates as to if that is happening.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 20 2014 at 10:22pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Well THAT wd be interesting-tho Daniel Day Lewis did such a great job in the 1992 movie-hard to beat.

Kids and I traipsed thru "mohican" territory a few years ago, lake George etc-didnt get to visit the reconstructed fort there but i believe it figured prominantly in the book and movie. I will say the movie and book both really made that whole era come to life for us. We capped it off with a visit to Deerfield, MA and the old cemetary there where so many victims of the Deerfield Massacre -also of that epoch-are buried. One of my kids had read -and absolutely LOVED-the oop book "Boy Captive of Old Deerfield" so we all enjoyed exploring that bit of on-site history as well.

Kelly in FL

Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version