Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Language Arts Come Alive
 4Real Forums : Language Arts Come Alive
Subject Topic: Remedial Phonics? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
millermom1110
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 24 2014 at 4:19pm | IP Logged Quote millermom1110

I have a 7 year old DS who was doing very well with his reading, but we've suddenly hit a wall these last few weeks. It seems to me like he needs to go back and review some rules of reading and phonics. He's also hit this stage where he feels like sounding words out is only for babies, and that it's an insult to his intelligence if he can't guess a word by quickly glancing at the first two letters . It's become a pretty big point of frustration in our day.

He's my oldest (so this IS my first rodeo). So I feel like it would be helpful to me to have some sort of resource to guide me as I review these rules with him. I should mention that we never did an actual phonics program. He started reading pretty early on, so I just let him fly with it. But now there's a few gaps that I think need to be filled in. I'm doing 100 Easy Lessons with my 6 year old son and I'm seeing that some of these gaps could have been avoided if I'd done this program with his older brother! But because it's kind of a unique system, I don't think it would work out well to put DS1 through the same book at this point.

www.growpraybuild.com
Back to Top View millermom1110's Profile Search for other posts by millermom1110

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 24 2014 at 7:16pm | IP Logged Quote jawgee

Does he like workbooks? My boys don't, but my girls do, and Explode the Code has been great for them. I checked the Table of Contents of each workbook online to determine which level they should be at before I ordered the books.

I've found it to be helpful for their reading and I've noticed that they are more familiar with spelling rules, too.

My 8YO is a good reader, but I think he would have benefitted from a more concrete phonics program when he learned to read.

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

millermom1110
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Oct 24 2014 at 9:16pm | IP Logged Quote millermom1110

He does like workbooks. I only have one workbook for him at the moment (RightStart math), so he'd actually be excited for another one. He asks me to buy him word searches so that he can have more "workbooks." I've heard good things about Explode the Code here and other places on the internet. Thanks for the recommendation.

www.growpraybuild.com
Back to Top View millermom1110's Profile Search for other posts by millermom1110

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 25 2014 at 6:42am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

It's not a workbook but I use Sound Beginnings for a very thorough review of phonics rules. It's mom intensive but very effective, imo.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

millermom1110
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Oct 25 2014 at 6:53am | IP Logged Quote millermom1110

I have heard of Sound Beginnings and was looking into it. It seems like a really fantastic program. It's a bit out of my budget range at the moment. Though it is something I'll be considering for the 4 younger kiddos.

www.growpraybuild.com

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version