Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Special Blessings
 4Real Forums : Special Blessings
Subject Topic: Transition Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mom3aut1not
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 11 2014 at 6:32pm | IP Logged Quote mom3aut1not

Although I have older kids with special needs, my little guy is the first one where it is quite clear at this point (beginning of high school) that he will not be independent (unless a miracle occurs). I have not worked explicitly on transition (from high school to adult life) before. Has anyone? When do you recommend I start on this? What exactly did you do for a child who can't go to college? Did you get access to any of the services available to kids in ps that are not part of school? (Work programs, etc.)

Thank you.

In Christ,

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 11 2014 at 9:32pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Deborah, there are some good programs in our state for young adults transitioning just as you describe. One of my local homeschooling friends has explored these programs in depth; some offer training, others offer assessments so you and your child can determine what level of independence is possible and desirable. You have lots of time before he could participate in these programs, so you can gather information and talk with people about them.

I have a zany life just now, but I will try to remember to ask my friend for specific program names and points of contact.

mom3aut1not
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 11 2014 at 9:45pm | IP Logged Quote mom3aut1not

Nancy,

Thank you.

In Christ,

Anneof 5
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 17 2014 at 9:08am | IP Logged Quote Anneof 5

I am following this thread as well. I have one who may need more assistance/supervision as she transitions. I know in my state one needs to be connected with social services in the county and possibly connected with the school district to best take advantage of these sorts of services. So far we have avoided social services and currently have an IEP but not getting services this school year. Still have to figure out what to do there and whether we want to continue with that!
Back to Top View Anneof 5's Profile Search for other posts by Anneof 5

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 17 2014 at 7:31pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I talked with a friend and, in our state, you need to sign up for high school to adult transition services a few years early. Wherever you live, it's worth a call to your Department of Education to find out how to start this process.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version