Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: New Christmas Books - Published 2014 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 04 2014 at 2:25pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

St. Ann wrote:
Thank you, Mary.
I was just worried how the man and woman were introduced and wondered why nothing of "husband and wife" or "married" came up.
I was wary of sneaky political correctness creeping it's way into the story...

Hey, Stephanie, getting back to this. I didn't hone into this when I read the book, so after your post had to go back and read with those new eyes.

It didn't strike me as strange when I read it initially because so many of the gingerbread man stories start something like "Once upon a time there was a little old woman and a little old man, and they lived all alone. They were very happy together, but they wanted a child and since they had none." so that was what I was hearing in my own head while reading it. (And Galdone's version) In these folktales where these children are created by childless folks, sometimes there is a "man and his wife", sometimes just an old man, sometimes just an old woman (but they always seem to be old.... ) but often just the couple reference.

But you are right that first few sentences really is an awkward way of saying that - "Once there was a woman and a man who had been together for many years. They got along well and loved each other very much. Their only sadness was they they did not have a child." I think the storyteller didn't want to say little old man and little old women but adding they had been together for many years adds the age element in a different way.

So while author might have a personal agenda and chose that wording (because I have no idea), there is nothing else in the story to further that. I think there is always an assumed marriage when children read these folk or fairy tales about "little old women and little old men together". Anyway, that is my take on it - reading the story I just had a sense of old folktale couple with the "created" child.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 04 2014 at 3:04pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

MaryM wrote:
A couple others came in as well and I will post on them soon.
The Yule Tomte and Little Rabbits

Got it but hadn't been able to review. It is a a cute story, if you like talking forest animal stories. Ties in the Swedish tradition of a tomte bringing gifts at Christmas. There is nothing related to the faith or the true meaning of Christmas so it is kind of funny to refer to it as an Advent story. But for someone looking for a read aloud, just for fun, way to count down the days until Christmas, it would fit that criteria.

I also read Winter Candle which is the PC/cultural awareness entry for the year. Follows the adventures of an inner-city apartment where an old lumpy candle is passed around and used for various celebrations - Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, St. Lucia Day, Kwanza - then to help a tenant find his way home. Not even a Christmas use, if you can believe it. Not a keeper.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 04 2014 at 5:19pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Oh and forgot to include this one - really a compilation book from old sources so not new - yet is new.

Everything I need to Know About Christmas I Learned From a Little Golden Book

Have you seen any in this new series? They are really cute. It is the second one I have seen - another published next month. It is a compilation of illustrations from different Golden Books woven together to tell a new story of important lessons in life. This one is specifically about Christmas and what to do and what happens. It does include some of the religious themed Golden Books. It is cleverly done and if you love all the vintage illustrators of Golden Book's golden era you should enjoy it.

Our Domestic Church

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 04 2014 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
Oh and forgot to include this one - really a compilation book from old sources so not new - yet is new.

Have you seen any in this new series? They are really cute. It is the second one I have seen - another published next month. It is a compilation of illustrations from different Golden Books woven together to tell a new story of important lessons in life. This one is specifically about Christmas and what to do and what happens. It does include some of the religious themed Golden Books. It is cleverly done and if you love all the vintage illustrators of Golden Book's golden era you should enjoy it.

I haven't seen the Christmas one, but Melinda sent me Everything I Need to Know last year and we just loved it.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 04 2014 at 6:11pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
MaryM wrote:
A couple others came in as well and I will post on them soon.
The Yule Tomte and Little Rabbits

Got it but hadn't been able to review. It is a a cute story, if you like talking forest animal stories. Ties in the Swedish tradition of a tomte bringing gifts at Christmas. There is nothing related to the faith or the true meaning of Christmas so it is kind of funny to refer to it as an Advent story. But for someone looking for a read aloud, just for fun, way to count down the days until Christmas, it would fit that criteria.

I checked this out from our library. It's long...so now I understand it's supposed to last through Advent. I agree with your assessment, Mary.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 15 2014 at 9:08am | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

Suzanne, thank you for mentioning Jan Brett's book tour. Several of my friends were able to see her in Leavenworth on Sunday. I wouldn't have known about it if you hadn't mentioned it. :) Hope your trip over to Spokane was fun.

A favorite new Christmas book this year is A Treasury of Wintertime Tales. Published by Taschen, this is a BIG book of older picture book reprints, most of which I've never seen before. Here is a list of the included stories/illustrators.

1. The Cowboy's Christmas by Joan Walsh Anglund
2. A Trip to Gingerbread Land by Einar Nerman
3. Winter and the Children by Hilde Hoffman & Beatrice Braun-Fock
4. Nine Days to Christmas by Marie Hall Ets & Aurora Labastida
5. Marilyn and the Snow children by Sibylle von Olfers
6. The Friendly Beasts by Laura Nelson Baker & Nicolas Sidjakov
7. The Night Before Christmas by Moore/Smith
8. The Red Horse by Elsa Moeschlin
9. The Twelve Days of Christmas by Ilonka Karasz
10. Moy Moy by Leo Politi
11. Too Many Mittens by Florence & Louis Slobodkin
12. Children of the Northlights by the d'Aulaires
13. The Ballad of the Snow King by Tadeusz Kubiak & Zbigniew Rychilichi

A nice variety of sacred & secular stories for Christmastime.

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2014 at 10:55pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

LeeAnn wrote:
Suzanne, thank you for mentioning Jan Brett's book tour. Several of my friends were able to see her in Leavenworth on Sunday. I wouldn't have known about it if you hadn't mentioned it. :) Hope your trip over to Spokane was fun.

A favorite new Christmas book this year is A Treasury of Wintertime Tales. Published by Taschen, this is a BIG book of older picture book reprints, most of which I've never seen before. Here is a list of the included stories/illustrators.

1. The Cowboy's Christmas by Joan Walsh Anglund
2. A Trip to Gingerbread Land by Einar Nerman
3. Winter and the Children by Hilde Hoffman & Beatrice Braun-Fock
4. Nine Days to Christmas by Marie Hall Ets & Aurora Labastida
5. Marilyn and the Snow children by Sibylle von Olfers
6. The Friendly Beasts by Laura Nelson Baker & Nicolas Sidjakov
7. The Night Before Christmas by Moore/Smith
8. The Red Horse by Elsa Moeschlin
9. The Twelve Days of Christmas by Ilonka Karasz
10. Moy Moy by Leo Politi
11. Too Many Mittens by Florence & Louis Slobodkin
12. Children of the Northlights by the d'Aulaires
13. The Ballad of the Snow King by Tadeusz Kubiak & Zbigniew Rychilichi

A nice variety of sacred & secular stories for Christmastime.

LeeAnn, thank you for the heads up on this! Some of those titles are treasures indeed and there are others I've never heard of. It'd make a lovely gift...

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 25 2015 at 5:48pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I have figured out that my library system gets all their new Christmas books in February

So, from 2014 I recently had a chance to read A Little Women Christmas.

It's a retelling of the Christmas when Mr. March comes home (finally) from the war. Beth has been sick, and Jo has just cut her hair to help raise money for expenses.

Knowledge of the Little Women story line is helpful here, but even without it, the story works, and I can't think how the story could be better illustrated. The period details are there, along with all the love the March family has for each other. I especially like the use of light- windows, firelight, etc.

May have to give this one to dd next year.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 25 2015 at 8:54pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

So glad you added A Little Women Christmas, Melinda. It's crazy - I thought I had posted about it. I guess intending to and actually doing it is a different thing... . I just took it back the library this week. I did enjoy it, I thought the illustrations were lovely. I wasn't sure how purists would like it - it is very abridged (as it likely has to be for a picture book) and I didn't think the language does justice to the original. But over all a nice intro to a younger crowd.

Our Domestic Church

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 03 2015 at 5:32pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

St. Nicholas and the Mouse of Myra

This is a graphic novel for kids... not technically a picture book, but I was not sure where to put it

Wondering if anyone had a chance to see a copy of this. Amazon is the only place I have seen it.

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 05 2015 at 6:54pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

MaryM wrote:

I finally got to read through this one- just love all the pictures from the LIttle Golden books!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version