Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Can we talk purses? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 30 2014 at 11:01am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

I would love to hear about your favorite purse.

For years I have used a backpack type purse as it is easier with children, and also I can never lose it when distracted. For a while I have used this Jansport mini which is practical but not really large enough. (and not very pretty)

I am looking for a larger purse which is organized - that is has a lot of pockets and compartments. Also whilst I like to have a lot in my purse to be prepared for all situations, I don't want to end up with neck and back problems with carrying too heavy a purse. I would love to find some kind of ergonomic purse.

Any thoughts? pictures of your perfect purse?

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 30 2014 at 11:38am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I am a pretty low maintenance purse person and just use a small purse for wallet essentials, phone, etc..., and usually grab a bigger bag for anything else I might need.

But, in your description of what you want, I remembered a bag I looked in a store once, and while it was more purse or bag than I could really justify, it sounds like it might just be what you are looking for. The brand is Baggallini, and if I recall, they are most popular with airline stewardesses and those who travel often.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 30 2014 at 12:24pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I've actually moved away from a purse that has everything even when I had children in diapers. I've found a bag in the car with extras is great and then I just carry essentials in a purse. Because the bag in the car can be anything.. it can even have room to drop my purse into it if I wish to carry it with me when we're somewhere. But when I'm running into the store or such I don't have to carry all that with me.

I've found a shape of purse I just LOVE.. it was one we were given and is black.. and then I just happened on a dk red one in the same shape at a yard sale.. for just $1   

I can't find an image.. but it's not tiny but it's not wide.. it's a bit tall and it stands up on it's own and has 2 straps like a handbag but is long enough to put on your shoulder. Because of the structure of the purse what I've found is that it actually STAYS on my shoulder very easily so that I'm not having to work at it so much. But it's also possible to carry it over my arm or in my hand.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 01 2014 at 5:44am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Reading with interest! I need a new purse and I would like to get one that lasts more than a year. I go through purses like crazy!

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 02 2014 at 7:55pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

JodieLyn wrote:
I've actually moved away from a purse that has everything even when I had children in diapers. I've found a bag in the car with extras is great and then I just carry essentials in a purse. Because the bag in the car can be anything.. it can even have room to drop my purse into it if I wish to carry it with me when we're somewhere. But when I'm running into the store or such I don't have to carry all that with me.

I've found a shape of purse I just LOVE.. it was one we were given and is black.. and then I just happened on a dk red one in the same shape at a yard sale.. for just $1   

I can't find an image.. but it's not tiny but it's not wide.. it's a bit tall and it stands up on it's own and has 2 straps like a handbag but is long enough to put on your shoulder. Because of the structure of the purse what I've found is that it actually STAYS on my shoulder very easily so that I'm not having to work at it so much. But it's also possible to carry it over my arm or in my hand.

Is it a hobo style? I love the hobo style...

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 02 2014 at 8:29pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Yes! It's the hobo style but the sides are smooth (no pleats) and it's "stiff" not floppy.

Thanks

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 06 2014 at 2:13pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

I used to just use diaper bags. 2 birds, 1 stone, kwim?

But dh has been buying me Coach purses at designer outlets when he is on long business trips or for a special occassion every couple years. My fav is I *think* a hobo styled one wig an open top and huge pockets. I carry everything in it and can still find what I put in it. And they can take a beating. And if they fall apart, you can return them for repair or replacement.

No, they aren't as cheap as my diaper bags, but I'm not buying a new one every 6 months or so either. If I collected purses, it be way out of finances, but for a classic purse/bag that will last year's and years, it's not a bad price. I've seen people spend a whole lot more for a piece of luggage they use once a decade.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 06 2014 at 11:27pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

I, too, always used hobo style bags when my kids were still so small that i was holding hands-and strollers- incessantly. Once the children got bigger, however, i yearned for the tiniest little "essentials" kinda clutch with a long shoulder strap that i cd find. One that would still hold a checkbook, lipstick, fone & $. Dh really went gung ho for me on a business trip overseas & got a microscopic louis vuitton -woo hoo- i wouldnt normally care about or mention the silly brand -im not a "brand" kinda person at all, have never even owned a pair of designer jeans in my life but this darn purse has earned a hat-tip: it is made of IRON! I have used it DAILY for over four years and it looks like new. It has set the record for durability for any purse I have ever had-and I am HARD on purses!!!! It has been a great present and has earned its keep!

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 07 2014 at 5:27am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Ok, so now I'm going to google Coach purses and Louis Vuitton! I'm so out of style it isn't funny and I really need a purse that wont fall apart. I usually buy one at Walmart or similar type places because I don't like to spend a lot of money on them, but I end up needing a new one each year because they fall apart. I'm the same way with shoes!

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 07 2014 at 6:22am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

I love the idea of a smaller and fashionable purse (and so does my back!) -but I feel more inspired by a SurvivalMom type of purse which is prepared for everything. Still searching....

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 07 2014 at 12:02pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

It sounds like you need something like a backpack style purse Marilyn! I've often thought I could use one like that. The problem is that it doesn't really fit my every day style. I'm more of a traditional style so the backpack would probably look out of place on me.
Right now, my purse that needs to be replaced is a tote. It works great for carrying all kinds of things - an extra diaper, a bag of wipes, a sippy cup, I even have a pocket with a mini-flashlight, lighter, birthday candles, band-aides, and a few other survival type items.

I think I would replace it with another tote but I would just like to find one that lasts longer and doesn't cost quite so much as the beautiful Coach bags I was just drooling over!

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 07 2014 at 12:44pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

One I carried when my oldest kids were little was great.. I actually went with a carry on luggage type.. it had 2 big pockets and then smaller front pockets.. so I could use one of the big pockets for diaper bag type of stuff and the other ones for my purse stuff. And since it had a long shoulder strap and was a leather look it looked nicer than just a backpack (though there are some cute backpack purses now) and I never cared for carrying a diaper bag.. I think because of how open they tended to be and I like a bag that contains everything.. that and they tended to be pastels (like the baby was going to carry it) and that's not really my cup of tea.

-Sir Walter Scott

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 07 2014 at 1:24pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

JodieLyn wrote:
and they tended to be pastels (like the baby was going to carry it) and that's not really my cup of tea.

I feel the same way, Jodie! For my last baby, the hospital sent me home with a free diaper bag. It was actually black and quite attractive! It eventually fell apart but I was so happy with it. At 47 years old I just knew a pink or baby blue bag with a bear or something on the front just wasn't going to do!

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 09 2014 at 7:00pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

LOL. Yeahhhh. I never cared for the care bear fashion either, even when I was in elementary.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version