Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Language Arts Come Alive
 4Real Forums : Language Arts Come Alive
Subject Topic: Copywork and the "distracted learner" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
pumpkinmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 27 2014 at 9:57am | IP Logged Quote pumpkinmom

I happened upon this article from All About Spelling and I about starting laughing because it so describes my 10 yo ds.

It reads, "Teaching spelling through copywork may not be ideal for distracted learners." I've been using copywork with him to teach writing skills and handwriting and we have made no progress in the last year or more. Just stuck in this spot and I feel like I'm wasting my time. I know he can write neatly when he slows down (to a turtle pace) and concentrates and I can't get him to do that during copywork (even standing next to him and coaching him). He had to fill out raffle tickets with his name and phone number last week and I said if they can't read it they will draw a different winner. This was the best I ever saw him write. It took him a long time though.

Now the article gave no recommendations on how to fix this because they are trying to sell their spelling product. So, I'm asking you! How do I get copywork to work for a "distracted learner"?

Back to Top View pumpkinmom's Profile Search for other posts by pumpkinmom

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 27 2014 at 9:54pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Good question Cassie. I also have a distracted learner and I need to rethink how I am doing things. I appreciate the question because it's causing me to put some thought to it!

I'm thinking maybe something that will engage him beyond just the copywork. For example, if you want him to focus on finding the nouns, maybe as he copies he can write the words that are nouns in red. Or if it's a particular spelling pattern, like "ing" he could write that in a different color.

I know for my ds, he will just mindlessly copy, and not really get the point of the exercise. I guess I can't just assign it, I need to discuss it with him first. (As long as I can get him to pay attention long enough to discuss it with me!)

Hoping you get some more ideas!

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 29 2014 at 10:17am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I don't know. I can tell you that I would have (hmm probably still would) DETEST copy work. Oh sure a bit if you're working on handwriting, I could see the point but I hated having to write anything. (I've seen one of the traits that is included in ADD diagnosis is over-gripping the writing utensil, which makes writing uncomfortable. And the concentration needed to change that basically meant you couldn't think about what you were writing so copy work for learning something other than writing is fairly ineffective) I was the child that when given a spelling list and told to put them in sentences could manage to get 20 spelling words into 2 or 3 sentences.. because figuring out how to do that was way way better than having to write more sentences.

I like Sequential Spelling both for the way it's set up and the fact that it's not asking for so much writing.. I love the idea that you could learn to spell without having to write sentences or write each word five times etc.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Sept 29 2014 at 11:46am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I'm not familiar with the All About Spelling program, so I need to be up front about that.

The purpose of copy work is penmanship; not spelling.

Copywork =PURPOSE= Penmanship
Dictation =PURPOSE= Spelling/grammar

For distracted learners, of which I have a few, I keep copy work lessons very short - sometimes as short as 1 - 3 words. Best effort. Slow writing. Correct formation. There is no *set* length that a copy work selection should be for a given age. The length is determined by the student's attention span and ability - which means there can be many right answers here...one student may be able to write two average sentences, or one entire poem stanza, or one student's best effort may be two complete words. Fine. The goal is good penmanship and best effort.

The best language arts method for teaching spelling is not copy work, it is the studied dictation, and it takes a completely different approach. A key part of a dictation lesson involves visualization of letters in the correct order - and to encompass every learning style, you can write the word in the air, trace it in sand, build it with legos. Again though, I keep the dictation selection and the lessons very short...especially with my boys. For a student beginning dictations in 4th grade (or around 10 yo) the selection is one short sentence and there would only be one word that would require mental effort for spelling practice.

pumpkinmom wrote:
How do I get copywork to work for a "distracted learner"?

** Remove as many distractions as possible - if there is a squeaky chair, remove it. Poor quality pencil, replace. That kind of thing.
** Start thinking of one word - not one paragraph - for the copy work selection. All good habits are built starting with very small steps and building.
** Model SS-LL-OO-WW writing so that your student sees what you mean when you instruct him to write slowly.
** Copwork lessons take place when you can give YOUR full attention, too. Don't throw a distracted student a pen and piece of paper and expect successful copy work. Sit the student at the table, remove visual distractions, do this at the quietest part of the day or involve other students around the table, model the writing pace, and then ask the student to write. ONE word if needed. Keep this lesson EXTREMELY SHORT!!! Build on your success from there.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 29 2014 at 1:09pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Mackfam wrote:

Copywork =PURPOSE= Penmanship
Dictation =PURPOSE= Spelling/grammar

Thanks for the reminder Jen. I know this to be true yet I find it is helpful for my ds to do his spelling dictation first as copywork. Maybe it is wishful thinking but my hope is that it will help him to grasp not only the spelling, but also things like punctuation, capitalization, etc. In your opinion, do you see where this would cause problems instead of being helpful? I don't want to continue something that is potentially causing more problems!

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Sept 29 2014 at 2:15pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Becky Parker wrote:
I find it is helpful for my ds to do his spelling dictation first as copywork. Maybe it is wishful thinking but my hope is that it will help him to grasp not only the spelling, but also things like punctuation, capitalization, etc. In your opinion, do you see where this would cause problems instead of being helpful? I don't want to continue something that is potentially causing more problems!

If it is helping with the studied dictation, then don't fix it. Technically speaking, it is NOT a part of a studied dictation lesson...that is, normally you wouldn't have your student write their dictation selection as copy work. BUT!!!!! I have done this and it was effective. With my oldest son he needed the extra practice of writing his selections, which were already very short. When I asked him to write his studied dictation selection as copy work I didn't assign extra copy work on top of that. The way I worked it was to teach the dictation selection first - identify challenging words, talk about them, talk about simple grammar/mechanics as part of the dictation selection, visualize challenging words, end the studied dictation lesson. Afterward, I would ask the student to write that selection as their copy work. So...we're sort of stepping outside the studied part of the dictation lesson at that point. I don't rehash spelling or mechanics, it's copy work time now. I remind the student to write slowly and exactly as they see the selection. And that was that.

By the way, this student (who used dictation selections as copy work) is one of my very distractible students. I have other VERY easily distracted students, but not to dictation level yet. They are doing copy work and those selections are crazy-short, but have been building nicely and steadily through the year as habits of attention are growing and stretching.

So, the answer is that you'll just need to be watchful. Since we adjust based on the child and individual needs, there isn't one right or wrong way. There is knowing that the basic purpose of copy work is penmanship, and the basic purpose of dictation is to teach spelling. Within that, I adjust for the child. And within those adjustments, there can be many different right answers depending on a given child, their needs, abilities, and where they need to grow and stretch into good habits. The point is that in building any good habits sometimes we have to start UNBELIEVABLY SMALL in order to build on success and slowly stretch from there.

Hope that helps, Becky!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

pumpkinmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 29 2014 at 10:01pm | IP Logged Quote pumpkinmom

Jen, you have told me this before and I haven't listened or either I just got it now. He needs to do this subject with me and we need to cut back to just a few words at a time. We will go from there.

Thanks everyone!

Back to Top View pumpkinmom's Profile Search for other posts by pumpkinmom

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 29 2014 at 11:02pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

My distracted ds11 does MUCH better with dictation than with copywork. With dictation he is thinking and writing, but not having to look back and forth so much. Works for him. Copywork is like pulling teeth- dictation is like brushing

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version