Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Math Picture Books Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 26 2014 at 5:43pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I decided we needed an official living math picture book thread to add to our picture book index, so here goes

Today we read Mysterious Patterns: Finding Fractals in Nature
This was a great book! I knew nothing about fractals, but the pictures and the simple explanations walked us through it. I did not even realize this is supposed to be a tough concept until I went back and read the Amazon reviews . I will never look at broccoli the same way again

Last week we read It's Probably Penny, another Loreen Leedy book which was very fun, especially since we are Boston Terrier fans. This was another book about probability that made the topic very approachable.

Past threads:
Seeing Symmetry
That's a Possibility
The Boy Who Loved Math
Blockhead: The Life of Fibbonaci

Planning a living math curriculum
Living Math books for Multiplication
Math Picture Books

Please feel free to add your own favorite living math books into this thread!

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 25 2014 at 7:23am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

ZooKeeper for the Day: Real World Math By Wendy Clemson

My library has the older edition of this book, from 2007, but it looks to be about the same as the newer release.

I picked this one up because dd is animal crazy; I knew she'd enjoy it.
The story has the reader following a zookeeper's schedule for the day, including all kinds of activities from feeding zoo babies to giving medications to shoveling dung and cleaning cages.

The pictures are terrific- very engaging, And the math activities truly are "real world": calculating medications, how many ounces to feed the baby kangaroo, etc.

There is a wide range of math skills involved here: everything from simple addition/subtraction to logic, measuring, graphs and mult/division.

Most of the problems were fairly easy for ds (6th grade) and a little more challenging for dd (grade 4).

But they both hugely enjoyed the book. I had planned to split up the reading over two days, but they wanted to continue, so we spent a whole 45 minutes working through it.

Definitely give this one a . I will look for more in the series.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version