Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Philosophy of Education
 4Real Forums : Philosophy of Education
Subject Topic: Banned Books Week Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 23 2014 at 2:34pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

Long time, no visit here to the group.    When I saw this I instantly thought of this group where so many value good, quality books. In case you've missed it, this is apparently the week to celebrate "Banned Books".     When my teens were tots, I had a friendly debate with another mom b/c she believed that reading ANY book had value and I argued that I'd rather my child read nothing than an unworthy book. I understand that can be a subjective view as to what's worthy and I have my opinions and others here probably share my view, but there may be others that don't, but I find this topic intriguing.

Anyway, my real questions is that I am teaching a Five in a Row class at our local co-op to kids aged 7-9. So, while I value (what I consider?) high quality picture books, living books, books that elevate us to God's truth and beauty...how could I concisely confer that information to that age level? I've talked about it on/off with my teens but now dd #3 is 7 and with all the hoopla surrounding the promotion of what I consider (sometimes) vile, filthy and unworthy books, is there a concise way to teach young children how to differentiate between the good and the bad?

Thanks,
Kathryn

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 24 2014 at 5:35am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Great question Kathryn! Sometimes, if I find my kids on a questionable website or watching a show that I'm not thrilled with I simply ask them if this is something they would watch with Jesus or Mary. Maybe that approach would help with a 7yo?

I know it's difficult. Over the years there have been books that I don't allow my kids to read and they question it, get angry with me, resent that I'm not letting them read what their friends are reading ...
But until they are old enough to make the decisions on their own, I just feel like I have to protect them from books (or shows or websites...) that will have a negative affect on their mind or even their soul.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version