Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: How would you finish off this history? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 22 2014 at 3:20pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

We are on the last chapter here of "From Sea to Shining Sea", which we use as a spine for history. The book ends at the end of the 1800's. The next book in the series, "All Ye Lands" goes back to ancient times. By the time the series gets back to American history, it is at a high school level, and I have grades 4-6 th here currently.

My dc- ds in particular- want to keep going through the world wars. I need a spine or some kind of plan for that. RC Connecting with history uses "An Introduction to the First and Second World Wars".   It gets great reviews but is over 200 pages long.

My other option is to use SImply Charlotte Mason's "Stories of America Volume 2"- we like this series but I find it lacking in detail. We usually use these books as a supplement. I could use it with a lot of supplemental books, but I would rather have a core text of some type that's a little meatier.

Any suggestions? I need to cover from the late 1800's up through WWII, possibly Vietnam/Korea on a 4-6th grade level. I also don't want to buy another text and use only the last few chapters. Is there any hope for me?

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Aagot
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2014 at 3:51pm | IP Logged Quote Aagot

How about this from Beautiful Feet Books. It covers from 1860 to the present and looks great.

Here is the description:
For the first time since 2009 Beautiful Feet Books is introducing a brand-new study! The American and World History study will cover the American Civil War up to modern day for 5-8th grade students. It will be a perfect follow-up to those who have already completed our Early American intermediate course. This new study will utilize the second-half of A Child's First Book of American History by Early Schenck Miers as well as a host of new and classic literature. Characters studied over this year-long course include the Wright brothers, Teddy Roosevelt, Gladys Aylward, George Washington Carver, Frederick Douglass, Sergeant York, Jackie Robinson and a host of others. Your student will come to appreciate and understand the most tempestuous period in history through award-winning literature. The full-color study guide includes recommended supplemental literature, resources, activities, comprehension questions, and web links. This guide will take you and your intermediate grade student from the year 1860 to modern day while covering the Civil War, Reconstruction, the turn of the century, WWI, WWII, Civil Rights, Korean War, Vietnam War, and contemporary America. Organized into easily followed lessons, students (and parents!) will learn the modern history of our nation along with corresponding Christian principles, poetry, geography, character studies and much more!

For a limited time order this pack and receive a FREE American and World Modern Study Guide, in addition to the print-version included in the pack.
Back to Top View Aagot's Profile Search for other posts by Aagot

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2014 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Hmmm that's a tuffy. Do you have Story of the World modern times. U cd easily pick up there in the 1880s or whatever to provide a spine-of course that's World History not American only...

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

pumpkinmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2014 at 4:07pm | IP Logged Quote pumpkinmom

Seton my have what you are looking for. They have an 8th grade book that goes all the way to current time. I know they have others in the lower grades too. We haven't used them so my recommendation doesn't mean much.

Back to Top View pumpkinmom's Profile Search for other posts by pumpkinmom

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 22 2014 at 4:35pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Kelly wrote:
Hmmm that's a tuffy. Do you have Story of the World modern times. U cd easily pick up there in the 1880s or whatever to provide a spine-of course that's World History not American only...

Kelly in FL

This was my plan, at least for my younger set, when we do a year of modern history.

Have you seen Mater Amabilis' 20th Century History? It organizes a lot of materials into a plan but the key text is Peter Jennings's book The Century for Young People.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 22 2014 at 7:04pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

These are all great ideas... gives me several options.
I am off to check them out- though I suppose I should have been on the ball with this sooner .   I just checked and my library does have SOTW vol. 4, so at least I can get my hands on that quickly, probably by tomorrow, so I will definitely be able to carry on with history into the modern age if we finish STSS this week ( we take it slowly, so that probably won't happen).

Thanks!

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 24 2014 at 1:09pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

This was my plan, at least for my younger set, when we do a year of modern history.

Have you seen Mater Amabilis' 20th Century History? It organizes a lot of materials into a plan but the key text is Peter Jennings's book The Century for Young People.[/QUOTE]

I really appreciate the note that MA has at the top of this plan- about how
most history books stop at the end of the 1800's. Texts that cover the 1900's are generally only suitable for high school age, leaving a big gap for the preteen group.

Yes! That is exactly how I feel. I am still researching my options. "This Country of Ours", which I have as an e-book, does cover some of this time frame...up to the end of WWI, so that is something, anyway. The library is being slow getting SOTW for me

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 24 2014 at 2:30pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I am serial posting...

Today at a used book store the owner recommended "America the Beautiful"
by Charlene Notgrass as a good book for US history. It is in two volumes, and the second one covers everything up to the 9/11 and the Twin Towers.

The author is Protestant and includes some bios about missionaries, etc, but other than that I really liked the format of this book. It has a conversational tone, lots of pictures, and covers many interesting topics, such as the national park formation, that are usually only given a passing mention. There is a special focus on how God has made our country beautiful, so there are many pictures of natural wonders, landmarks, etc.

It is set up as a full year's curriculum- I would only use the main text, though. Oh- and it is all linked to living books- lots of lists of suggestions.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has seen or used this book?
I would have to skip over the Protestant material, but other than that, I felt an instant kinship with this book

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version