Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Patron saint for ADHD? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 17 2014 at 6:00am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

My ds in 8th grade is really struggling right now with his ADHD. I know this is a difficult age for many kids. My husband feels like we should enroll him in school . He is a sweet kid, but his distraction makes our day unmanageable.

Recently my DH talked to Daniel about how to deal with his distraction. One of the things he mentioned was that my ds could pray a short prayer to a saint asking for his intercession to help ds calm down and refocus. Any suggestions on who might be a good saint for this purpose?

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 17 2014 at 6:14am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

St. Francis de Sales comes to mind because he once had a extraordinary temper and conquered it to the extent that he was known for being meek. It isn't quite the same thing, and his hurdle was not physiological, but I often ponder his example of conquering self.

St. Therese comes to mind because just that short, ejaculatory prayer for help seems like a "little way." She also had a difficult time focusing her attention in prayer and would rely on these little prayers in her private prayer life.

St. George might work for the imagery of battle and your son fighting his own dragon.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 17 2014 at 6:24am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Thanks for the ideas Lindsay! I didn't know that about St. Francis. I think I'll pray to him for my 3yo! Talk about a temper!

Pilgrim
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 17 2014 at 8:43am | IP Logged Quote Pilgrim

St. Augustine comes to mind, I wouldn't be surprised if he had ADHD/ADD.

Mary Queen of Peace?

I would second St. Francis de Sales, he has such awesome writings.

St. Francis of Assisi also comes to mind as he was quite full of energy and I would say ADD-ish behaviors from some descriptions of his partying ways as a youth and turned to be such a representation of peace now.

St. Clare Heirloom Seeds coupon 4Real 20% off

St. Clare Audio
Back to Top View Pilgrim's Profile Search for other posts by Pilgrim Visit Pilgrim's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 17 2014 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

St. Anthony of Padua is the first that comes to mind for me. Patron saint of lost seems like forgetfulness and distraction is losing one's concentration and focus.

I would second St. Therese, too, and also big St. Teresa of Avila, who needed a book to help her through meditation.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 17 2014 at 11:50am | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

I second St. Anthony. For parents, St. John Bosco, whose patience with struggling boys was exemplary.

I remember that age being particularly difficult for our sons with ADD/ADHD. I attribute it to hormone changes; have hope, things eventually level out. Increased physical activity can be helpful, along with healthy diet and supplements (if he'll cooperate, otherwise it's not worth a battle).

Praying for Daniel, and all of you, with much empathy!

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 17 2014 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

FWIW...I have an 8th grade ds that is not ADAH and I am going insane with him this year. I assigned him a patron Saint of St. Francis De Sales!!! Much empathy for you and your ds.    

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 18 2014 at 5:25am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Thank you for the great suggestions. I already pray to St. John Bosco, Servant! I think he should be the patron saint of our family since we have 5 boys!

I found a novena to St. Francis de Sales here, and I love this novena to St. Anthony of Padua. I think those will be a good place to start!

Servant and Betsy, I know it has to be partly the hormonal changes he's going through, although this ds has always been a challenge. Playing football has helped some because I know he really needs the exercise. Servant, you mentioned supplements. Do you have any recommendations? I already give him fish oil.

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 20 2014 at 6:08am | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Becky, it's been quite a while since I researched supplements and all our sons are past the stage your son is currently going through (and we actually survived!). We have a houseful right now, with seventeen of us floating about the house ~ so not much chance of my getting back anytime soon. Best I can recall regarding supplements are the fish oil as you mentioned (Sam's sell a version called Omega 3-6-9 which is a good, reasonably priced combination), as well as Calms Forte (Walmart carries it, or I've also purchased it online from Amazon and Vitacost). I know there were several others we used at one time, though it was difficult with some of our sons to actually get them to take them. You might have some luck googling natural supplements for ADHD. I've also noticed some family members with ADHD seem to experience worse symptoms when blood sugars are off, usually from lack of protein or too many carbs. Balancing those seems to help them stay better focused. Continuing to pray for your son and the entire family!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version