Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: Faith crisis? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 10 2014 at 10:43pm | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

Ds is ttrying to figure out what he really believes. He knows the faith but is almost 17 and well, I understand as I went through the same thing. I am looking for ways to support him, besides prayer because that is my all day job at this time
I gave him a Peter Kreeft book. I am not sure he is even reading it. I am going to get more CDs from Lighthouse to listen too on our way to co-op classes. He did enjoy the last one we listened to by Peter. It has to be entertaining and funny to engage him at this time.
He even asked if he should continue to go to communion . Of course I encouraged him to continue unless there was a serious reason not too that he needs that Grace for this tough time. I see him so confused and sad.
We just moved and I do not have a handle on the resources here yet and would try to find a priest to talk to him but am so overwhelmed with the move, selling the old house, dh's work and travel schedule, my moms upcoming surgery, etc. I am trying to do it all and this just cannot fall off my plate.
I am looking for book suggestions(maybe we can carve out some reading time together?), videos, CDs to listen too, any other ideas ladies. I cannot be the only one who has a high schooler trying to figure this all out.
Thanks.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 10 2014 at 11:57pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

You might try the resources at Life Teen. I've been very happy with the program's contents and my teens have them on their facebook pages so they see various articles that are posted on their blog and somehow I think it's just less intimidating to be able to read a bit about different teachings of the church when they're written with teens in mind. Less scholarly I guess and more every day sorts of stuff.

Anyway, there's different categories for the blog. And they're written by a variety of people. Stuff posted on face book comes from all the categories.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 11 2014 at 5:31am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

This may or may not appeal to a 17 yo, but I love The Journey Home (on YouTube).

If you are not familiar all of the guests are converts or sometimes reverts to the Faith. I lean a lot listening to everyones journey.   One things that comes up fairly often is how the Early Church Fathers was instrumental in the persons conversion. If they are honest, they can't justify what the early Church believed or how they Worshiped (i.e. the Mass) with their own Protestant Faith 2000 years later.

cvbmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 11 2014 at 9:14am | IP Logged Quote cvbmom

A really good resource is Decision Point. It is free, you just pay shipping, really. You don't expect to get such high quality for free, but it is a ministry and is very well done. It says it is a Confirmation program, but you can use it any time. It is about deciding to be Catholic, giving good examples and reasons.

God bless,
Christine

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 11 2014 at 9:17am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

If he likes conversion stories then Surprised By the Truth series is good. The author/editor Patrick Madrid even has his own story.. not of conversion but of "reversion" after falling away as a young man. I'm pretty sure it's in the second book.

But I think a lot of it may depend on where he's struggling. It's not much help to give him stuff on how to live Catholic if he's struggling with the existence of God, you know. And there may be more specific resources if you know what exactly he's struggling with. The Surprised by the Truth books are nice because there's all sorts of conversion stories including from atheists and agnostics.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

Aagot
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 11 2014 at 9:51am | IP Logged Quote Aagot

Why Be Catholic: Ten Answers to a Very Important Question by Patrick Madrid sounds really good. Also, anything from Catholic Answers at Catholic.com
Back to Top View Aagot's Profile Search for other posts by Aagot

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 11 2014 at 12:02pm | IP Logged Quote jawgee

I like the Prove It! series and have read several of them.

Is he asking for help working through this?

I can't give specific advice because I haven't been through this, but is this the time to step back and let him figure it out? This is the age when lots of teens/young adults go through a crisis of faith as the faith goes from something their parents handed down to something they own and choose for themselves. If he is asking for your help, great. If not, though, I wonder if he would feel bombarded and actually pull away more.

Prayers as he works through this.

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 11 2014 at 12:29pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

At this age (and I've had 2 go through it) mine need me to point them to resources that are not *me*. They need to know what *The Church* says not what "mom says the church says".

But it can certainly depend on the person what exactly they need.

-Sir Walter Scott

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 11 2014 at 5:13pm | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

Thank you all for your input. I was actually able to speak with him some and did get some information. He does believe in a "higher being." He really does not want my help-he needs to figure it out and I am just going to throw Catholic stuff at him, he says. He, from what I gather, is trying to figure out the religion thing. Why and what is up with Jesus. He knows it, just trying to figure out all the WHYS. Why did the church reject so many other views and only take those 4 gospels? type stuff.
He wants to read and learn the other points of view and make his own decisions essentially. "I want to read Cicero" and some other names I don't remember.
I get it. I am a bit sad but trusting in my prayers and mother Mary to look out for him. I am glad he at least knows the Catholic church I guess at this point all I can do is love him and pray for him. Gosh, being a parent can be so hard.

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 11 2014 at 8:11pm | IP Logged Quote jawgee

mom2mpr wrote:
He wants to read and learn the other points of view and make his own decisions essentially. "I want to read Cicero" and some other names I don't remember.

This is exciting - he wants to learn and understand for himself. I'm sure it is difficult to trust at this big crossroads, but know that you have prepared him well for this time in his life.

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2016 at 4:43pm | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

Updating this-a few years later. He is still researching. He has taken to getting books out of the library He has many Christian friends and they discuss. A lot. I have steered him to different things, but not pushing. Our parish has a FORMED membership and there are some good resources there.   I donated my Douay-Rheims bible to him. He studied Latin so was excited to have it. He goes in spurts doing his research.
God has kept him close. He plays piano for 2-3 masses every Sunday He also plays for Lifeteen and has made some friends there and finally enjoys attending. We are still on that "road" but I am at peace and pray every morning to his guardian angel, St. Michael, and his mother, Mary. Off to college in the fall and while I am a bit nervous about that, I will continue to pray. He believes in God and knows The Church. What more can a mom do?   
I put this here to hopefully encourage anyone else who might be struggling with teens and their fatih. At some point, we have to let them fly....

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 07 2016 at 6:20pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Wonderful to hear this update.

If he has not checked out the videos by Fr. Mike at Ascension Presents, definitely send him the link!

Fr. Mike works on a college campus; he is funny and totally in tune with the young Catholic mind. HIs take on Batman vs. Superman is right up the teenage boy alley, and he always has a great point to make or explanation to share.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 08 2016 at 9:59am | IP Logged Quote jawgee

What a fantastic update!!! Thanks be to God!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version