Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: General Preparedness Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 17 2014 at 10:05pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

You will get more "dust" from using a wood stove and/or fireplace. But if the chimney draws well you should get very little smoke into the house. My choice would be to try it out on a day when you could open up all the windows to clear out any smoke. Learn how to build a fire so that it'll draw up the chimney right away (I like using a bit on the higher end of the amount of paper to start kindling because that immediate heat of the paper burning does help with the draw). But there are times when the chimney won't draw well.. really windy days or sometimes inversion layers and such. You could always burn just a crumpled paper to see if it's going to go or not.

It's been a long time since I used a fire place but you want high flames in a fire place rather than the low slow burning that you can get in a wood stove. A lot of the heat from a fireplace is radiant heat from the flames.. so that the air may not get as warm but people and things in front of the fire will still feel warm.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 17 2014 at 10:16pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Servant2theKing wrote:
Marilyn, I recently purchased Herbal Antivirals and Herbal Antibacterials, after being very impressed with the first book, which I'd borrowed from our local library. Nutritional Healing has always been my go to resource when seeking alternatives to pharmaceuticals, but the two books you mentioned offer an even greater wealth of information. The author seems a little "out there" in some respects, especially if you visit his website, but the information he shares in both books is incredibly well researched and I especially appreciate that he continually offers the scientific basis for his recommendations, as well as tips on where to find many beneficial herbs and how to make many of your own herbal remedies. I'm slowly building a supply of herbal and homeopathic remedies for regular use and in case of emergencies.

Servant - I would love to hear what herbal supply you are building up. Today I made a batch of elderberry syrup - HUGELY cheaper than buying Sambucus (which i cannot afford for so many of us). I also keep ingredients for the ginger tonic. I am thinking of making echinachea tincture.

Where do you buy your herbs from?

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 17 2014 at 10:27pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Marilyn I use herbalcom.com they have both culinary and medicinal herbs.. great prices.. beware.. the smallest amount is 1 lb... have you ever seen a pound of dried parsley?

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

millermom1110
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 18 2014 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote millermom1110

I just got an order of elderberries and rose hips in to make some syrup. I've never made it before...does anyone have a particular recipe that they love? I'm also blessed to have some raw organic honey from DH's uncle's hives...I think that's usually used in elderberry syrup, right?

I've been eyeing this book on Amazon called Herbal Healing for Children.

Regarding preparedness in general, I think it's such an amazing experience to find these everyday herbs and "weeds" growing in our yard (plantain comes to mind), that have amazing medicinal and healing properties. Every time I learn of a new one, I'm in awe of how God has taken care of us and provided in the most obvious places...we just have to look for it.

www.growpraybuild.com
Back to Top View millermom1110's Profile Search for other posts by millermom1110

millermom1110
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 18 2014 at 7:49am | IP Logged Quote millermom1110

JodieLyn wrote:
wow. It was 14 yrs ago but ours was only about $3000 for the stove and chimney pipe and hearthpad and installation, single story but no previous equpiment (so had to cut the holes into the roof). The labor part was only $500.

Oh! I wish! We would have put a stove in when we first bought this house 2 years ago if we could get it done at that price. When we were saving up to buy, we'd set aside money from a tax return because we wanted so badly to have a wood stove. Totally took the wind out of our sales when we got those quotes because it was way beyond what we could afford! Thankfully my grandfather had decided that he didn't want his pellet stove anymore. He gave it to us, we found a hearth pad on Craigslist for $80, and spent about $250 on supplies to install it in about 2-3 hours. It's not exactly what we wanted, but it has been a great blessing in reducing our heating bill about $100/month including the cost of pellets. We have an old 1890's farm house...to say that it's not well insulated is a massive understatement!

www.growpraybuild.com
Back to Top View millermom1110's Profile Search for other posts by millermom1110

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 18 2014 at 8:06am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Here is the elderberry syrup recipe that I use. It does not turn out as thick as the store bought. You do need the honey as elderberries are rather bitter.

2/3 cup organic dried elderberries
     3.5 cups of water
     Fresh ginger root
     1 tsp ground cinnamon
     A few cinnamon sticks
     1 tsp cloves
     1 cup raw honey

Place berries, water, and spices in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 45 minutes. Smash the berries to release remaining juice and strain the mixture. Allow liquid to cool and stir in honey. Will last for 2-3 months stored in the fridge

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 20 2014 at 5:25am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

I've been wanting to make this syrup so thanks for the recipe Marilyn! Where do you get the elderberries? We don't grow them and I don't see them in the store. Farmers Market? I would love to plant a couple of elderberry bushes but we just haven't done that yet. If you grow your own, are they difficult?

If you grow your own, what other medicinal plants do you grow? I have half an herb garden dedicated to culinary herbs and the other half empty. My goal was to plant medicinal herbs but our kitchen remodel consumed our entire spring and fall so nothing much got planted.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 20 2014 at 5:33am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Here's a recipe for "fire cider" that also looks like a good one for cold and flu season. (Found it on Pinterest) I've never tried it, so this will be an experiment. I don't know how hot it would be for the kids. I've found several other natural remedies that I've pinned on my pinterest board if anyone is interested.

millermom1110
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 20 2014 at 11:37am | IP Logged Quote millermom1110

Becky,

I've read that they're fairly easy to find out in the wild. Might make for a fun nature walk adventure! I tried walking some of the trails around my area and didn't find any. I DID find a bunch of pokeberry growing in my own yard. I thought for certain it was elderberry. Apparently they're commonly confused, but once you look at a basic field guide, they're actually very easy to tell apart. Disappointing for me...but oh well! Fun lesson anyway.

I ended up ordering some from bulkherbstore.com. The price was good and the shipping cost was better than what I've found elsewhere. I'd be interested to hear where other people have found them as well.

I'll have to try that fire cider recipe. I feel like I'm preparing for battle getting all of this stuff ready before cold/flu season.

www.growpraybuild.com

DianaC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 22 2014 at 3:36pm | IP Logged Quote DianaC

Does anyone have any experience with the wood stove inserts? Something like this

Our fireplace is basically useless - ALL of the heat goes up the chimney. Our living space is very open, so I’m wondering if this would be able to heat the space. I am looking into this because we are completely electric and if the power goes out, we have no heat source.
Back to Top View DianaC's Profile Search for other posts by DianaC

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 22 2014 at 5:18pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Oh yes inserts work very well. Be sure and check with installing them.. because they get much hotter you usually need to put a lining in your chimney.. or if the chimney is maybe not in the best shape.

-Sir Walter Scott

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 22 2014 at 5:20pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

millermom1110 wrote:
Becky,

I've read that they're fairly easy to find out in the wild. Might make for a fun nature walk adventure! I tried walking some of the trails around my area and didn't find any. I DID find a bunch of pokeberry growing in my own yard. I thought for certain it was elderberry. Apparently they're commonly confused, but once you look at a basic field guide, they're actually very easy to tell apart. Disappointing for me...but oh well! Fun lesson anyway.

I ended up ordering some from bulkherbstore.com. The price was good and the shipping cost was better than what I've found elsewhere. I'd be interested to hear where other people have found them as well.

I'll have to try that fire cider recipe. I feel like I'm preparing for battle getting all of this stuff ready before cold/flu season.

Easiest way to find elderberries is to scout them out when they're in bloom and then make note of where they are and come back when the berries are ready. Although you can use the elder flowers also.

-Sir Walter Scott

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 24 2014 at 8:58pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Becky Parker wrote:
I've been wanting to make this syrup so thanks for the recipe Marilyn! Where do you get the elderberries? We don't grow them and I don't see them in the store. Farmers Market? I would love to plant a couple of elderberry bushes but we just haven't done that yet. If you grow your own, are they difficult?

If you grow your own, what other medicinal plants do you grow? I have half an herb garden dedicated to culinary herbs and the other half empty. My goal was to plant medicinal herbs but our kitchen remodel consumed our entire spring and fall so nothing much got planted.

Sorry to be so late getting back to you Becky. I buy Frontier organic dried elderberries from Vitacost
I think that Amazon sells them too.

I don't grow any medicinal herbs (yet) but I am doing a lot of reading of the Herbal Antiviral and Herbal Antibacterial books and making notes.

Mountain Rose herbs is another vendor of elderberries, herbs, beeswax etc - prices are ok, shipping is high..

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 24 2014 at 9:03pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Becky - I thought that you might like this article by survival mom

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 25 2014 at 6:17am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Thanks Marilyn. I printed that article. I actually bought her book when I first started looking into prepping. I need to go back and finish reading it!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version