Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Hello to all! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
spadyjudy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 19 2014 at 4:24pm | IP Logged Quote spadyjudy

Hello everyone,
I am new to the forum. I have homeschooled my 2 boys (9 & 12) for 3 years now and have not used much Catholic curriculum but I have decided I want to start. I am a cradle Catholic and my husband is Lutheran. We were married in the Catholic church and both boys have been baptized and receive first communion.

My homeschooling journey has grown closer to God over the years and, for that, I am blessed. The first year, I wanted things to be completely secular; however, we spent a short time each morning reading the Bible (we read Genesis and Revelations). The 2nd year we used the "Who is God?" textbook and we all, thoroughly, enjoyed it. This last year, we read the Gospels and my youngest did a unit study on the Sacraments. We have in-depth discussions during our Bible time and love it but I have realized that it needs to be the CENTER of our homeschool lifestyle instead of just a part of it.

This year I have been researching Catholic curriculum and want to use it for some important classwork like History and Science. I use an eclectic style because the package programs are just not my style.

I am thinking I'm going to use Marcia Neill's "Creation to Present" history book but it's expensive. Does anyone know where I can turn to find used Catholic materials?

Thank you and I look forward to getting to know everyone!
God Bless,
Judy Spady
Back to Top View spadyjudy's Profile Search for other posts by spadyjudy

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 11:57am | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Welcome, Judy!

I just popped on here for a quick peek at something so will come back later and try to answer some of your questions. Although, I am sure others will have good answers for you. We don't necessarily use Catholic materials for all subjects, but definitely use Catholic friendly stuff. I find used materials at Catholic homeschool conferences and local parish used book sales at annual fiestas and and things like. I think there is a Catholic Swap type site, but I don't know much about it. You could try a search on this forum.

Not very helpful, but welcome! You have found an amazing group of women here!

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 12:41pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Hi, Judy!

I definitely recommend CathSwap.
It is a Yahoo group, free to join, and it is a great place to buy/sell used.
I have also found books through our local homeschool group and even through Paperback Swap and BookMooch.

Amazon is also good- you never know that you might find. If I am looking for a particular book, I often find it there.

For science and history with a Catholic view, I like the history books from CHC to use as a spine. The CHC science program has also been reworked over several years, and the Behold and See series is very good.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 5:44pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Welcome!

You might also like some of the book selections at Mater Amabilis. They're not a bookseller, but a free online Catholic Charlotte Mason curriculum -- even if you don't buy into the whole CM philosophy and method, the booklists are definitely worth a perusal for high-quality Catholic reads for all ages and levels, short of high school (and that's in development!).

The history reading is especially good, IMO -- my 12-year-old son is enjoying The World's Story, which we began this week and will read this year and next, when he'll have to share it with his 10-year-old sister, who's doing British history and Ancient Rome this year, per the Mater Amabilis schedule. We own The World's Story, which is really pretty reasonably priced for a book that size and quality, but we also make use of lots of free Kindle books, to keep to a pretty slim budget.

Again, welcome!

Sally

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 9:32pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Judy

Welcome
Looking forward to getting to know you

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 22 2014 at 10:29am | IP Logged Quote ekbell

If you are willing to use e-books Heritage History is great source of engaging history books for pre-twentieth century history.

All of their books are free to read online. Individual books cost $1.99 to download (in mobi, epub and PDF formats) but if you register with them you can buy a $40 'library pass' good for three years which allows you to download and keep any or all of their hundreds of books.   The books are well-formatted and proofed which isn't always the case with books converted from paper to digital.

They have a fair amount of highly recommended Saint books plus a handful of properly labeled Catholic Church history texts (plus properly labeled Protestant texts) in their Christian Europe library.

For reference
-green titles are for children fluently reading chapter books or as a read-aloud for younger children
-brown about grades 5 to 8 or middle school
-red high-school to adult
Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version