Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Where to stay in Rome? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 23 2014 at 4:18pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

My husband and I are doing some research as to whether we can visit Rome as a family. Next year, my dd will be in Rome for a semester, and our 25th wedding anniversary is not far away. We have always said we would visit Rome for our 25th - but we are not sure we will be able to afford it.

Right now we are researching safe and affordable accommodation for 7 of us (my dd will be in college accommodation) I would love to hear from anyone who has visited Rome with their family - if you can recommend a hotel. Also - are there "maximums" per room or suite - here in the US we always have to get 2 suites or rooms, which makes it very expensive.

We would prefer to stay right in the center of Rome.

Also if anyone has hints for affordable air fares. When I last went with dh - the airfare was $199 - certainly will not be that now!! We have saved American Airlines miles for the last 20 years - but AA is not great with international flights - eg they might stipulate only one free passenger per flight etc. We have enough for free flights, but they are also claiming exorbitant taxes.

Anyway - right now this looks like just a dream - but if you can give us any hints as we research, I would be so grateful.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 23 2014 at 4:32pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Italian hotels do often have maximums per room/suite. You might want to consider apartment rentals to get around this problem.

Italians like to have some kind of contact (phone, for example) with the people who are booking rooms, and I have found that it is best to call to ask about availability. Many times I've tried to book online, been told there were no rooms, then called and learned that rooms actually were available. (Translation: If you find a place that looks good, call them.)

Airfares don't drop until November, because October is still high season in Rome and the rest of Italy. High season picks up again in early April (depending on when Holy Week begins).

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 23 2014 at 5:13pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Thanks Nancy - that is useful information. We are looking at fall 2015, and it is good to know that it would have to be November. My husband speaks fluent Italian so he can do the talking thing. My Italian is very rusty.

Do you know how to find apartments?

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 23 2014 at 5:46pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

My colleague has these resources:

Apartments in Rome

I don't know how many she's visited/stayed in herself (she has a place in Tuscany and usually stays there), but it's a place to start. Be sure to Google reviews of each place, and consider also looking them up on Trip Advisor to read more reviews.

Here's some info about vacation rental scams, too.

Hopefully someone here has some apartment info to share. Last time we went to Rome we stayed in Frascati at a family-owned hotel very near the train station. We had a great time.

ETA: Full disclosure...yes, I'm a travel writer.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 23 2014 at 6:32pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I have a friend who had her whole family in Rome--8 children. She used apartments that are often used by families of priests or seminarians. Some priest friends who frequently traveled to Rome helped her with the connection.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 23 2014 at 8:01pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

guitarnan wrote:
My colleague has these resources:

Apartments in Rome

I don't know how many she's visited/stayed in herself (she has a place in Tuscany and usually stays there), but it's a place to start. Be sure to Google reviews of each place, and consider also looking them up on Trip Advisor to read more reviews.

Here's some info about vacation rental scams, too.

Hopefully someone here has some apartment info to share. Last time we went to Rome we stayed in Frascati at a family-owned hotel very near the train station. We had a great time.

ETA: Full disclosure...yes, I'm a travel writer.

That is so cool Nancy. I didn't know that you were a travel writer. Thanks for the links too.

Well...you are a great person to ask travel questions

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 23 2014 at 8:04pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Nancy - how long ago did you stay in Frascati? Would you recommend the hotel? If so please send me info - we may have stay outside of Rome.

When dh and I went before kids - we stayed in this real dive somewhere in the center of Rome. We went in Advent - and the hotel was freezing with no hot water!! But it was cheap enough for kids just out of college.

When I went around Europe as a student - we stayed in youth hostels or cheap hotels.

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 23 2014 at 8:07pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

JennGM wrote:
I have a friend who had her whole family in Rome--8 children. She used apartments that are often used by families of priests or seminarians. Some priest friends who frequently traveled to Rome helped her with the connection.

Jenn - that is a fantastic idea. Last night we had a priest friend from Rome visiting us for dinner - he stays at the Franciscan friary but he may know of apartments. We have another friend at the NAC.

Thanks again. Sometimes this looks like a pipe dream - but maybe if it is the will of God it will happen....

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 23 2014 at 8:31pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Another route is staying in monasteries. It might be harder for a large family, though.

[url= http://italytravelista.com/where-to-stay-in-rome-convent-and -monastery-accommodation-in-rome-travel-to-italy/ ] http://italytravelista.com/where-to-stay-in-rome-convent-and -monastery-accommodation-in-rome-travel-to-italy/ [/[url]

http://www.monasterystays.com

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 23 2014 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Yes...there's actually a travel guidebook called Good Night and God Bless, all about monastery and convent stays.

My husband suggests you contact your dd's school in Rome and ask for lodging suggestions. Can't hurt. Italy's all about relationships - if you know someone, sometimes things work out, KWIM?

We stayed in Frascati in 2012. I will PM you with details. My kids think it was one of the best hotels we stayed at in Italy, and since we toured the entire country with them from 2002-2004, in between ship deployments and DH's watch standing, that is saying something.

cheesehead mom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 24 2014 at 10:02am | IP Logged Quote cheesehead mom

Marilyn--SO funny we too have a dream of going to Rome next May with 7 kids for our 25th as well! I have been watching airfares--looking into alternative airports as well, outside of Rome. Thanks for the November tip as I will look then. There does seem to be some affordable housing options with VRBO as well as the great suggestions above....but the airfare is daunting. Will enjoy following this thread!!

Laura
Back to Top View cheesehead mom's Profile Search for other posts by cheesehead mom

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version