Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: Planning has hit a concrete wall Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
pumpkinmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 03 2014 at 7:13pm | IP Logged Quote pumpkinmom

and I feel like I'm standing her hitting my head against it, repeatedly!

I want to scrap it all and start over! There is no time or money for that idea!

I just need to settle on a few more things (easy stuff too), get it all to fit into the week and fill in the student planner. I know I will find changes after the first week and I'll adjust for the second week. I'm just not feeling the excitement of the new year. Something is missing or is it fear and anxiety?

Something isn't right though and it's stopping me from finishing. So I sit here banging my head on the wall (and praying too!) and figure out what is stopping me from feeling the love of our new school year! Quickly, hopefully, as I want to start on the 15th!

It's a shame too as there has been so many wonderful new e-books and blog post out there with inspiration lately.

Back to Top View pumpkinmom's Profile Search for other posts by pumpkinmom

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 03 2014 at 7:23pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Can we help you brainstorm, Cassie? I happen to be planning right now, too. I've finished our Morning Basket, 1st grade plans, and I'm just wrapping up 4th grade tonight.    Moving on to 8th grade tomorrow and that gives me the weekend to do a little shelf refreshing and tidying!    

So...I'm sitting here at my laptop and I'm happy to help...ask questions...suggest ideas...if it helps re-invigorate your planning juices. My help will be intermittent since I'm planning...but I'm willing to try and I'm sure others would chime in, too.

Definitely DON'T scrap what you've got! Let's work with it!

First...back off and give yourself permission to have a little treat! Cup of coffee? Tea? Bowl of ice cream? Give yourself permission to take a little mini-refresher break! Go wash your face with a fun little baking soda scrub. (I don't know why...but that always invigorates me! ) Get the kids to bed. Then come back and we can visit what you've got!

Where are you stuck?
Have you finished a grade? Any subjects?
Can you identify WHERE you're "stuck?"
Is the whole thing just sorta falling flat?
Do you have booklists and just can't whittle it down to the details?
Are you feeling like some of the books you had planned are maybe not a good fit in terms of reading ability?
Maybe just backing off a few books will allow things to just settle into place?

Take your mini-refresher...I'm going to do the SAME THING! And then if you'd like to brainstorm - do come back and let's see if we can jump start this for you!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

pumpkinmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 03 2014 at 8:18pm | IP Logged Quote pumpkinmom

I'm struggling on putting my planning down in the weekly plan. I have the booklists made, the game plan (or lesson plans) for the books, and I've already cut back and changed out a few books (I could see they wouldn't work).

I think it's history. I have my boys doing two different time periods. I know this is a mistake (I've tried it before).

As I was siting here pondering this (moved to a new location-outside in hoping a change of scenery would help) I've had some ideas come to me. I'm struggling in typing them up though. I really need to totally revamp our school day. Earlier this year we made some good changes. I need to use those that worked with us and do some more rearranging. It's hard as we are comfortable in our way even if they don't work.

I feel like I spend way too much time in planning and I'm burned out now! Of course the deadline is fast approaching. I'm feeling pushed towards the end now. This will pass though.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 03 2014 at 8:41pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

pumpkinmom wrote:
I have the booklists made, the game plan (or lesson plans) for the books, and I've already cut back and changed out a few books (I could see they wouldn't work).
     This is great! Over half the battle!

pumpkinmom wrote:
I've had some ideas come to me. I'm struggling in typing them up though. I really need to totally revamp our school day. Earlier this year we made some good changes. I need to use those that worked with us and do some more rearranging. It's hard as we are comfortable in our way even if they don't work.

Right - I know! We get into a habit and even when it's not working...it's still a rail to run on, isn't it? The bad thing is, we derail. So...you're doing great! Sounds like you've got some good ideas to run with, and it sounds like it's not really the meat of your day, it's how your day is flowing that might have you a bit stumped.

I'm cheering you on, Cassie...and if you want to brainstorm - I'm around! But it sounds like you've got some good ideas and it's time to just get some things on paper - not perfect, but workable - and then just live it a bit and see how it goes.

My days had to get a total revamp, too. It's hard to believe that one child has graduated and is now working full time out of the house. It's great - I'm really thrilled for her - it's just....different. It sorta messed with the chemistry of our days. Everything...from morning prayer forward I had to rethink. It was a little challenging, too, I think because the general personalities and chemistry of the kids I have in the learning spaces is entirely different now, too. It's a little but it's mostly great - just made me have to TOTALLY RETHINK the rails/habits/routines in our day! So, like you, I'm sort of piecing this puzzle together as I go this year. Every year has its challenges, doesn't it! I've always felt so much freedom in giving myself 4 weeks to live-it-revamp-it-work-it!

pumpkinmom wrote:
I feel like I spend way too much time in planning and I'm burned out now! Of course the deadline is fast approaching. I'm feeling pushed towards the end now.

Oh dear!!!    Hang in there! You're really VERY CLOSE!!

Focus on your goal.
Give yourself permission to run with a trial version if you need to. (That's way better than stalling or burning out!)
Make sure you're getting good sleep and staying faithful to your daily prayers (even just a quick Memorare for your intentions is a boost!).
And make sure you pepper these last few planning days with lots of little breaks and little-bitty-rewards.

Cheering you on...and around for brainstorming if you need to!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

pumpkinmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 03 2014 at 8:53pm | IP Logged Quote pumpkinmom

Jen, Recommendations for 8th grade Ancient History? I have The Story of the World 1 for my youngest and I may do that as a family read aloud. I have independent books for my youngest. I have nothing for my oldest. (I don't like my plans I have for him!-This is my history change.) This is an easy fix because he is not a history lover and doesn't want much.

Mackfam wrote:

My days had to get a total revamp, too. It's hard to believe that one child has graduated and is now working full time out of the house. It's great - I'm really thrilled for her - it's just....different. It sorta messed with the chemistry of our days. Everything...from morning prayer forward I had to rethink. It was a little challenging, too, I think because the general personalities and chemistry of the kids I have in the learning spaces is entirely different now, too. It's a little but it's mostly great - just made me have to TOTALLY RETHINK the rails/habits/routines in our day! So, like you, I'm sort of piecing this puzzle together as I go this year. Every year has its challenges, doesn't it! I've always felt so much freedom in giving myself 4 weeks to live-it-revamp-it-work-it!   

We have a week off scheduled 5 weeks into the year. I can rethink the schedule and plan a new one if needed! I just need something easy to test drive. That personality and chemistry of the kids is an ever changing thing!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 03 2014 at 8:56pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I quickly re-read your original post and read this:

pumpkinmom wrote:
I'm just not feeling the excitement of the new year. Something is missing or is it fear and anxiety?

Be careful here. Don't put too much weight in a "feeling." Now, your intuition is good and valuable, so if you've intuited that something isn't quite right, which is what I think you were communicating, then that's great. Pay attention to that! But...if you're concerned because you don't *feel* excited - here's permission to dismiss that. Yep - I've had years that I just didn't feel excited about. Not always fun, but it's a feeling, and sometimes it's the Holy Spirit stretching me toward self-discipline without the consolation of feeling all motivated and excited about it. Those kind of years were really hard for me because I'm a naturally motivated person...so when I don't *feel* motivated, it's a cross. I still see needs very clearly in those years, I just find them daunting and BIG...and digging in takes an extra measure of willpower.

Anyway...

feeling....vs...intuition

Don't give feelings an overly weighted portion of your thoughts because they can sometimes yank the rug right out from under us.

Go with your gut.

pumpkinmom wrote:
Something isn't right though and it's stopping me from finishing.

This sentence makes me think that you meant intuition - and in reading your second post, it sounds like you're intuiting that need to re-work how your day moves and how that looks on paper....and that idea might require a big shift.

Ok...I'm rambling and probably not being at all helpful! I'm going to dive back into polishing daily plans for 4th grade and then reward myself with something...that looks a lot like peanut m&m's.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 03 2014 at 9:14pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

We were cross-posting!

pumpkinmom wrote:
Jen, Recommendations for 8th grade Ancient History?

** The Book of Ancient Greeks Dorothy Mills (read S-L-O-W-L-Y across the entire year...it can be dry, but it's a worthwhile read.)
** Augustus Caesar’s World by Genevieve Foster (our favorite of the Foster books!!! Don't miss this one in the lineup!)
** The Tale of Troy by Roger Lancelyn Green
** String, Straightedge & Shadow by Julia Diggins (excellent!)
** The Riddle of the Rosetta Stone by James Cross Giblin (very appealing to boys!)
** Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare (not to be missed if you haven't already read it! Makes a fantastic family read aloud, too!)
** Hittite Warrior by Joanne Williamson (a favorite)
** Famous Men of Greece is a good option, too.

And then there are a lot of FANTASTIC options from the Yesterday's Classics ebooks set. The above is just what we used.

pumpkinmom wrote:
I have The Story of the World 1 for my youngest and I may do that as a family read aloud.

We have always really liked SOTW, and I'd use it with my 8th grader, too. If you feel like you need one, cohesive spine, that's how I'd use SOTW.

pumpkinmom wrote:
I have nothing for my oldest. (I don't like my plans I have for him!-This is my history change.) This is an easy fix because he is not a history lover and doesn't want much.

Ok....so do you have any of the books I listed above? If I had to recommend 3 (one for each term) that would be almost certain hits for a boy, I'd recommend using SOTW as a read aloud for both your kids and then for the 8th grader:

Term 1 - 3: Augustus Caesar's World
Term 1: Riddle of the Rosetta Stone
Term 2: Bronze Bow
Term 3: Hittite Warrior

...and plenty of great Ancient History documentaries. Archaeological digs, pyramid discoveries, etc. Boys like that stuff usually.

Since I REALLY want to help you plan with what you've already got, or can get at the library, let me know if you don't have any of these books, or if you'd like to brainstorm from the Yesterday's Classics set in ebook. I have those, too, so I can recommend some of those for you if you like.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 03 2014 at 9:20pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Oh yeah - my boys REALLY like Usborne books. My girls INTENSELY dislike them. But...since we're talking about a boy here, and one that isn't a HUGE fan of history, an Usborne book could be a really good fit!

Usborne Ancient World (we have a really old non-internet linked version) - my boys REALLY like this book.

But, I would throw it in the lineup only if you have it already and because (1) he can spend his time enjoying the pictures and blurbs as you move him slowly through the book - take the year with it, and (2) it will likely flesh a few ancient history ideas out for him, and (3) I wouldn't ask for narrations from the book. I'd ask for narrations from the other living books though.

pumpkinmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 03 2014 at 10:22pm | IP Logged Quote pumpkinmom

Thanks Jen! Lots to ponder and keep in mind regarding feeling....vs...intuition.

I completely forgot that I had Augustus Caesar's World until you mention it. I also have Hittite Warrior. I had the Bronze Bow on my 10 yo's list and plan to purchase it later on. I've already purchased SOTW.

I'm already liking this booklist better than what I originally planned! It fit better.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 03 2014 at 10:34pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

pumpkinmom wrote:
] I'm already liking this booklist better than what I originally planned! It fit better.

Oh good! Well...sleep on it...and see how things settle onto paper tomorrow.

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 08 2014 at 8:21am | IP Logged Quote Angel

Cassie, has your planning been going better? 8th grade is a tough age to plan for. They're ready for high school in some things and maybe not so much in others. With my daughter, who doesn't like history either, I've tried to focus more on historical fiction for history (which she does like) and then beef up the literature offerings, because she's a good reader.

I was going to suggest Padraic Colum's The Children's Homer, which all my kids have liked, but with an 8th grader, if he's a good reader, you might just want to go to the real thing and read The Iliad and The Odyssey. You could spread them out over the whole year. (I'm hoping that we can listen to the Odyssey on audio in a few weeks when we take our big cross-country vacation; it's the version read by Ian McKlellan, which I hear is good.)

My daughter also liked Olivia Coolidge's books. (I didn't actually know she had written so many books until I did this search.) She read Greek Myths and The Trojan War.

Last year my older kids read Padraic Colum's Great Myths of the World. They read it for a high school course, but an 8th grader could handle it.

We read a great book last year -- one of the highlights of the year, actually -- which came about because the kids wanted to include ancient Africa in their survey of ancient history. Finding books about ancient Africa is *really* hard, so we kind of finagled this one in, since it's actually set in about 600 AD. It's historical fantasy, set in the Aksum civilization of ancient Ethiopia. The name of the book is The Lion Hunter, by Elizabeth Wein. It's about a thirteen year old boy who has a terrible accident with a lion and how he recovers, but it's much more than that: there's spying, and links to King Arthur, and the relationship between the boy and his little sister is something you really don't see in much fiction today. It's a middle book in a series, but you can read it without reading the first one... however, the ending will make you want to find the third book! (I haven't read it yet, but it's on my list.)

Anyway, I'm probably just overwhelming you by throwing in more possibilities, so I'll stop here. Jen's list is a good one!

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

pumpkinmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 08 2014 at 9:11am | IP Logged Quote pumpkinmom

8th grade has been hard to plan! He is not ready for high school work yet, and I'm really trying to beef it up so that he will be, but I don't want to overwhelm him either. I think this is mostly my fault as I tend to plan the same for each boy when in reality they are three grades apart and there should be a big difference. The boys have me trained well in making things equal!

I made changes to history, Morning Basket, and I'm still working on the schedule (which I think we are just going to have live a couple of weeks and make some changes after that). I feel much better about the school year now.

I do appreciate the book suggestions as I left some blanks for later in the year to see what I can find!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version