Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Language Arts Come Alive
 4Real Forums : Language Arts Come Alive
Subject Topic: Calligraphy for a 7th grader Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 20 2014 at 8:32pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

I have an artistic 7th grade boy who has the best handwriting out of my whole crew. I was thinking instead of another year of just simple cursive again for him, I thought he might enjoy calligraphy.

Any good sets for his age, things I should look for? Maybe this is a no brainer???

Just thought I'd start with you ladies first

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 21 2014 at 1:37am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Sounds like a great idea, Kacky.

Hopefully some of our knowledgeable calligraphy ladies (Jenn, Juliana) will join in. I thought this thread had some good recommendations for pens and resources.
Calligraphy resources?

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 21 2014 at 7:37am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Oh thanks I'm a horrible searcher!!!!!

Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 25 2014 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I have some ideas...and will share the previous threads. I think this is a great idea.

I will be back tomorrow or Friday.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 28 2014 at 10:48am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'm back a day later than I planned.

There are several basic calligraphy alphabets on which most all the hands are based:
  • Roman Capitals

• Uncial (Celtic or Irish hands based on this)

• Gothic

• Foundation or Roundhand

• Italic

• Copperplate

That is only a bare bones summary, and many scholars might disagree with that...I am not trying to claim to be a scholar or start a disagreement.

The simple answer if you are using calligraphy as a substitute for everyday handwriting, go for Italic writing at first.

Another option could be a pointed pen scripts, which are the older style handwriting: Spencer, Copperplate, etc. This is usually done with a dip pen, and might be discouragingly messy at first.

With the Italic, he could use a cartridge fountain pen. Most stores carry Manuscript or Sheaffer cartridge fountain pens.

These are easy to use, easy to clean. They are not high-quality, but durable enough for beginners and not expensive to replace.

There are several choices for Manuscript, but if he's trying Italic, all he will need is the inexpensive Italic Calligraphy set to begin.

But, if he's like my son, he'll want to experiment in different hands, and so you may way to expand later into the different sized nibs if he wants to try Uncial or Bookhand or Roman or Gothic or other alphabets.

Sheaffer has been around for a long time, as that was my first set at age 11 and taught myself calligraphy and was hooked ever since. I graduated from the pen, but I do have fond memories. I still have mine, plus other newer pens for my sons.

And I still love the beginning booklet that comes with the larger set. I think it might have been written by Tom Gourdie (without credit) who is one of the "greats" in calligraphy (some of his books are very hard to track down due to popularity).

I now recommend Eleanor Winters' books for beginners. In particular, her

Many of the books overlap with similar information, so it just depends on which appeals to your son.

Margaret Shepherd's Learn Calligraphy: The Complete Book of Lettering and Design is one of the books I used as a beginner

And Fred Eager's books were also ones I used at the beginning.

Here are the main threads discussing calligraphy. There are many threads that talk about handwriting and usually mention calligraphy, but I didn't have time to peruse them all.

4Real Threads:
::Beginning Calligraphy Kit
::Calligraphy Book/Set
::Calligraphy, Manuscripts and Bookmaking
::Calligraphy Resources

Helpful Websites:
::The Calligraphy Pen (this is my favorite blog...very wonderful instructions and detailed photographs)
::Dancing Pen Calligraphy
::Calligraphy for Beginners
::Lessons in Calligraphy (these are pointed pen lessons)
::Beginner Calligraphy Essential (browse her blog for further tidbits)

Supplies:
For beginners, the typical big box craft stores will have some basic supplies. AC Moore has the weakest selection locally, Michaels is better, but I think Hobby Lobby carries the best selection if you have one locally....but you can also buy online. If you have a local art supply store, they will usually have better selections. DickBlick and MisterArt will have more selections, and then the best specialized online sources are
::John Neal Bookseller
::Paper and Ink Arts

Just getting their catalogs and newsletters helps keeps you on top of new items and ideas and books. These two shops also work with professional calligraphers, and sell DVD workshops. I haven't used them, but the latest newsletter from JNB has made me consider trying them, especially for my boys.

Just a few more notes.

A Word about Felt Pens

These can be very good tools at the beginning, because it is important to get the slant angle for the tip correct, and at the beginning metal nibs if not held correctly will form to the incorrect angle and then not work correctly once the angle is correct.

The problem with felt tip is you need to find a narrow nib for Italic practice. It is the nib size that makes the size of the letters. You can't write small writing for looseleaf lines, for example, with a 2.0 tip.

But for the initial practices, understanding the basics of calligraphy versus regular writing, a larger tip might be helpful to really see the contrast. You would just need larger lines for practice.

At the beginning felt tips will do, especially at the beginning. I am embarrassed to say I have many different brands of markers. I use them for quick projects or for calligraphy on the go, but I'm always frustrated at the limitations of size.

Here are some of the brands I have used:
  • Itoya (has double side 3.0 and 1.5 mm)

• Elegant Writer (1.3, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0 and 3.5)

• Staedtler (3.5 and 2.0 mm)

• Sharpie Calligraphy Pen (about 1.75 mm)

• Manuscript Italic Markers set with Fine, Medium, Bold and extra Bold sizes

• Zig Calligraphy Markers (1.0, 2.0, 3.0 mm). These are probably the best quality, depending on which kind. They should be permanent and archival, which is important particularly in the red color if you ever laminate)

• Y&C Calligraphy marker (2.0, 3.5, 5.0)

• Marvy Black (2.0, 3.5, 5.0)

• Sakura Pigma (1.0, 2.0, 3.0)

Personal Pens

It is really important once a person starts using a metal nib that everyone respects it is his personal pen. No one else will write in the same manner, and it will ruin the tip if the pen is shared.

Felt markers will also get ruined, but not in the same way as metal nibs.

Inks

The ink cartridges that come with the fountain pens are not light or fade resistant nor are they water proof. There are some wax protection you could put over the ink if you were lettering envelopes, but eventually you will want to graduate to finer inks.

Except Calli ink, there are no permanent inks that should ever be used in a fountain pen. The ink will destroy the pen. If you need a waterproof ink, then a dip pen will usually be necessary.

Nib care

Clean the nibs and pens often. Dried ink, even water based will clog the nib and ruin the pen. Estimate you will use a cartridge a sitting, and clean the pen immediately after use. I cannot tell you how many times I "thought" I was going to return right away and didn't and my pen dried up.

Paper

You need to invest in some better paper that can handle marker and inks without bleeding. and the paper needs to not shed, so it doesn't clog the nib. It doesn't have to be expensive, but it will help the learning curve and frustration.

So these little tips are to help at the beginning. Care for the nibs, awareness of ink and paper can really help jump some of those beginning hurdles.

As you can tell, I love talking calligraphy, so please ask away for more help. Juliana is also a profession calligrapher, so I hope she has time to chime in.

Oh, one more thing. If you have an opportunity to take instruction from a good calligrapher, jump at the chance. That is my regret that we don't have much in our area, but I did have one teacher for a short time and it was so helpful!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 28 2014 at 9:40pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

This so beyond amazing Jen...thank you so so much!!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 22 2014 at 2:42am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Anyone ever use one of these?
Magic Cloth for water writing practice - Chinese calligraphy. Found it while researching the Buddha Board. Looks really cool.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version