Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: 9th Grade plans Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 11 2014 at 12:12pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Could we start a 9th grade planning thread?? I need inspiration!

So far...

Religion: The Orthodox Way, spiritual reading, icons workshop

History: MODG Ancient History Syllabus (he has read the Aenied and Odyssey and a bunch of the plays so we will make some subs. here)

English: Easy Grammar Complete
        Writing With Skill 2 (??)

Language: Henle 3-5, Visual Latin, reading in Lingua Latina, Duo Linguo (occasionally for French)(didn't get to Latin much this year in the second half- may do Latin sort of half time with grammar)

Math: Complete Jacob's Geometry and move onto Foerster's Algebra and Trigonometry

Science: Biology- not sure what to do here. I have and like Apologia (as far as its 'usiness' goes) but might use Science Shepherd as it is less wordy for my techy son.

Music: orchestra

Composer, Artist, Shakespeare: tbd and done as it fits!

Art: I always drop the ball on this one! Perhaps art classes and pottery classes.

Phys-ed: Whaaaaa! (crying emoticon). We need FOUR credits in highschool, which was fine for dancing daughter, but a real drag for my booky, musical sons! He wants to curl and I figure I may have to start counting trips up the stairs

All of this is bound to change I am sure, but I know this child LOVES to know what is next and has little patience for the fly by the seat of your pants plans the older two survived on! I am hoping the MODG plans are a good fit- but I have to find an alternate base text which may make it difficult.

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 11 2014 at 12:13pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

On the very positive side it looks like I don't have to purchase anything (unless we use Science Shepherd)!

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 11 2014 at 5:00pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Kristie - my guys are just finishing up 9th grade this year. I thought I would share - they did Kolbe and it worked really well. They chose this and they liked it - it was very rigorous - but they did well.

They did Chemistry this year (outside class) - but they are doing Kolbe Biology for 10th. I looked at a lot of Biology - and we chose this. I really like it, and I like the Kolbe plans which give it a Catholic flavor.

We will be doing Foersters Algebra 2 and Trig for 10th - I looked at Lials but decided to go with Foersters.

For PE could your son go to a local community center and work out in the gym, or take a fencing class, or run a 5K for charity (would mowing the lawn count?!!!)

I will share some of my fine arts plans later - did not do much for 9th (except for piano performance)

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 11 2014 at 6:51pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

My dd did the Foersters Algebra 2 and trig for 9th and part of 10th (it is a long book. It was hard but she liked it- we used the Math Without Borders disc which was invaluable. She was VERY well prepared for first year calculus at the university.

Good to remember about Kolbe- I will look at their bio again (and dig up the ancient plans which I used with my first)

A Walk in the Woods

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 11 2014 at 6:54pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Thanks for the heads up on the Math without Borders dvds. I was on the fence about them - I guess I will go ahead and get them.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 11 2014 at 9:58pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

Very little time tonight but working on DD's plans for 9th grade and looking into some of the Homeschool Connections classes.

I'll be back next week with my plan.

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

Maria Rioux
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 11 2014 at 10:16pm | IP Logged Quote Maria Rioux

On the math thread, consider CTC Math. Cathy Duffy has a pretty thorough review. Wait for the sale. :)
God bless, Maria
Back to Top View Maria Rioux's Profile Search for other posts by Maria Rioux

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 12 2014 at 6:18am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

On PE... Here in FL u cant JUST exercise for sports-it has to involve some aspect of "intellectual" Learning About Health. W my eldest son, we covered it by getting his Physical education badge in Boy Scouts. The little badge booklets u can but for a buck or 2 on just about ANY subject are a WEALTH of info (not just for PE but for any topic u want to study, they include projects and skill assignments appropriate to the subject, as well as backgroun info. U can probably pick up the old ones for pennies in ebay) The BSA Phys Ed booklet is very thorough!

For PE badge one of the assignments they require for the badge (which is also an assignment that is coincidentally required by FL virtual school PE course) is a semester of keeping a daily log of Physical activities, along w some self-assigned exercise-running x amout, lifting x amount of weights -whatever appeals to ur kid. Thus u have an actual record of something for PE as opposed to just "soccer team practice" or something (tho thats good to put on the daily log, for sure!). Should also include a fitness goal, and show some progress, shd include weight at outset and conclusion, cd include measurements... Can make more or less detailed, but shd be daily.

I think its good to add some sort of reading assignment too-could be a nutrition book or really a book on any type of exercise that ur kids might like-james fix's "Running" book comes to mind... Or there is a info book/workbook out there somewhere called "50 lessons to Nutrition" or something-i think I got it from Christian Book Distributors. I use that for my eldest daughter and am about to break it outta mothballs for my middle daughter. Very good forthis sort of thing-emphasis on healthy eating, explodes silly eating myths. Will look up exact title...

In my own "course description" which I append to my kids' highschool transcripts, i basically used the description of the requirements for the phys Ed badge as listed in the handbook. In the end, was a pretty thorough course -in fact, probably a whole lot better than most schools' useless PE courses or so-called "health" courses that often include inappropriate and morals-free sex education components.

Ok off to do MY "daily log" of exercising haha

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 12 2014 at 6:25am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

PS what I MEANT to say at caffeine-deprived beginning of my PE post is that in FL, a Phys Ed credit has to include more than just participation in a sport.

Movin' a little slow here...

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 12 2014 at 3:22pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Luckily it is a lot more loose in Manitoba! As long as we are giving an 'acceptable education', they don't get involved    So far my kids have just put the hours in (110 per year)- but it is the course I am loosest with! After my oldest ds's incredible living books education I wasn't going to not graduate him for his lack of physical ability

A Walk in the Woods

MicheleB
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 20 2014 at 7:06am | IP Logged Quote MicheleB

Nervous wreck about this!    Still working on it - so far

Great Books ala the Well-Trained Mind for History & Lit: in brief - find the dates of the work and author in Timetables of History and record around 8 dates (in Book of Centuries) on either side of the work. Some dates must be from other places in the world. Use history resources to write a history context page for the work. Read the Work. Discuss the Work. Write about some aspect of the Work. (Listen to Teaching Company Lectures if available.)
Plan to be amended as we go on.

Our Goal and Our Guides for religion and individual studies in the Ignatius Study Bible.

Math: oy veh

Science: an online biology with elemental Science - new this fall.

Art: - dd has been exploring sculpting this summer, this book, and I hope she continues. She claims to intensely dislike drawing and painting.    Also 10 + hours of dance (mostly ballet and pointe and technique) will do for P.E.
Art History with the Annotated Mona Lisa

Continue violin and piano

And other things I have forgotten...

http://thestripedrose.blogspot.com/
Back to Top View MicheleB's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleB Visit MicheleB's Homepage

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 20 2014 at 9:33am | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Sounds super Michele- violin, piano and all that ballet! Wow!!

Funny, math is always our easy one- it is writing and history that are hard to organise!

A Walk in the Woods

MicheleB
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 20 2014 at 9:39am | IP Logged Quote MicheleB

I grew up watching the show "Fame!" I'm not inclined to let my girls watch it, but I always think that I am running a fine arts academy.

http://thestripedrose.blogspot.com/
Back to Top View MicheleB's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleB Visit MicheleB's Homepage

Wheatheartaca
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 30 2014 at 8:36am | IP Logged Quote Wheatheartaca

I want to join in too but I have to run my kids to swimming lessons. I will be back later to post. :)
Back to Top View Wheatheartaca's Profile Search for other posts by Wheatheartaca

Wheatheartaca
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 12 2014 at 9:05am | IP Logged Quote Wheatheartaca

9TH GRADE PLANS:

English:
1. Writing. Something by IEW but idk which one since   
     it is our first try with this. Also considering
     Write Guide.
2. Literature: idk. She finds it all boring. But I
     want it to be from Catholic perspective. I need to
     find some type of online Catholic discussion class.
3. Grammar: English Grammar by Seton.

Math: Review with Key to Series then Teaching Textbooks Algebra.

Science: Still deciding, she is allergic to Science. She wants a textbook instead of online.

History: North American History: From Columbus to the 20th Century with Homeschool Connections Online.

Foreign Language: Spanish. We were going to with Homeschool Connections Online but it conflicts with history class...bummer. Will have to find another online class.

Religion: R.E. classes at parish, confirmation preparation at home with Decision Point dvds & workbook, Defend Your Series online class with Homeschool Connections Online. Seton 9th grade Religion.

Fine Arts: piano lessons, voice lessons, Orff 3 Choir with performance, church cantor.

P.E.: competitive soccer, travel basketball.

We need to finalize our plans today since we are beginning next week.

Back to Top View Wheatheartaca's Profile Search for other posts by Wheatheartaca

Aagot
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 12 2014 at 10:04am | IP Logged Quote Aagot

You could combine writing and lit with iew's Windows to the World.

Or use the US History based writing with the connections class although they may have writing incorporated in the class.

The Elegant Essay would also be a good choice.
Back to Top View Aagot's Profile Search for other posts by Aagot

Wheatheartaca
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 12 2014 at 5:37pm | IP Logged Quote Wheatheartaca

@Aagot: I like the idea of combining writing and lit with Windows to the World. She has never done IEW, would this be to difficult to jump into in 9th? Same question with Elegant Essay. Which should be done first? Would it be from a Protestant worldview?

Aagot
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 13 2014 at 12:37pm | IP Logged Quote Aagot

All of the references I have seen from IEW about world view seem in keeping with Catholic thought (love your neighbor, keep the commandments, respect authority etc). I have never seen anything anti-Catholic.

In Windows to the World, the author does discuss different world views and how they impact our thinking. She does emphasize that God's laws are for everyone, everywhere and are not dependent on culture. Knowing the truth is critical. She does say you can find the truth in the Bible. She does not mention apostolic authority but she also doesn't say anything against it. She also talks about the need to understand what the author's presuppositions are so we can recognize if we are being exposed to truth or not.

What are you hoping your daughter will learn this year in writing and literature? The Elegant Essay is really just dealing with writing an essay. What kind of writing experience does your dd have? Does she have experience summarizing what she has read, writing down key words, and then re-creating the story/article from those key words? Has she written introductions, conclusions etc. If not, I would have her do the Student writing Intensive for one semester and then the Elegant Essay for the second. IF she has had writing experience but needs to polish it, I would just do EE.

If you think her writing is already pretty good and she feels comfortable with it, I would move on to Windows to the world. This is really literary analysis. So it combines analyzing with writing about literature but it does not teaching writing structure directly. According to the introduction, all that is really needed, writing skill wise, is to be able to write "an understandable paragraph with a topic sentence and a clincher (concluding) sentence."

Windows to the World does not have a lot of literature (no novels for example). It takes short pieces and uses them to teach analysis. If you are looking for more of an emphasis on literature, Excellence in Literature by Janice Campbell may be what you are looking for. The plus for you is that this is directed at the student and there is no teacher's manual (the text does include grading info and other helps though). I would look at her American Literature book.

Another option would be to do Elegant Essay one semester, Windows to the World the next and sprinkle a couple of books in each semester.

I am sorry if this is too much. Ask more questions if you want.
Back to Top View Aagot's Profile Search for other posts by Aagot

Wheatheartaca
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 13 2014 at 1:05pm | IP Logged Quote Wheatheartaca

@Aagot: too much info?? No way! Beautiful, thank you for your time. :) I don't have time to respond now but I will be studying and mulling over your post. Ty again. :)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version