Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Morocco Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Katie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 24 2006 at 2:42am | IP Logged Quote Katie

My dh will be travelling to Morocco in the summer. Unfortunately we won't be able to accompany him, but last year when he travelled to Thailand we had a lot of fun studying Thailand and making a Thailand lapbook. I'd like to do the same for Morocco this year.

I ordered a couple of coffee-table type books from bookcloseouts.com, which will be fun to delve into, but I was wondering if any of you had any ideas for children's books about, or set in, Morocco. Picture book and chapter book ideas are welcome.

Also, any neat ideas on making our study fun would be truly appreciated.

Thanks!

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 24 2006 at 11:25pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Hey Katie,
   Although I haven't read these books, here are a few titles that might work for your Morocco unit:

"Ibrahim" by Francesc d'A. Sales child in Marrakesh, longs for life of the desert nomad

"The Storytellers" by Ted Lewin. Takes place in Fez, involving a boy and his grandfather

"The Children of Morocco" by Jules Hermes from that series, "World's Children"

"Traveling Man: The Journey of Ibn Battuta" by James Rumford, about the explorer as he travels all over the Islamic world from his home in Africa

The old Time-Life books on individual countries, including Morocco, are usually full of interesting pictures that the kids like to peruse

"The Sahara and Its People" by Simon Scoones---about North Africa and the Sahara

You might take a look at some of the interesting cities of Morocco, especially Marrakech, Fez, Meknes, Tangiers (Tangiers IS in Morocco, isn't it??? )

Also, wasn't St. Monica, mother of Augustine, from Morocco?

Oh yes, you can also watch "Casablanca"!!!

Kelly in FL

Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 24 2006 at 11:35pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

I *knew* there was another book nagging at the edge of my memory: "King of the Wind" by Marguerite Henry, about the original Godolphin Arabian, the great granddaddy of all thoroughbreds! Although the book apparently takes some poetic license, it's a great kid's read, about the horse, and his mute Moroccan stable boy.

I recently saw the movie of this with Richard Harris, (er, that is, I saw the movie that features Richard Harris...I didn't see it WITH Richard Harris, though I would have liked to! )Anyway, my children and I really liked the movie. It begins in Morroco, takes place during the days of Louis XIV.

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

Katie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 29 2006 at 1:20am | IP Logged Quote Katie

Kelly,

Thanks so much - now I'm off to Amazon!!!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version