Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Need advice on my 6th grade plans (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
nightgalaxy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 22 2014 at 12:42pm | IP Logged  

I meant to start a new thread on this so it would not get lost under an older one. I really appreciate your feedback as I am considering adding on my younger son to my new homeschool year.

After deciding earlier this year that my rising 6th grader would go to Catholic school, I am back to the drawing board. He visited there a few weeks ago and came back telling me the foul language and sexual jokes all the 5th grade boys were making around the lunch table. So much for a spiritual haven.

Back to considering homeschooling. I have done a ton of research (thanks to this board and others) and I am trying to figure out how to make this good for son and for me as well. My dilemma is that I need to spend so much one on one with my other son, my 15 year old son who has autism and who is learning at at 3rd-5th grade level depending on subject. In order to also homeschool my rising 6th grader, I really need his day and curriculum to be structured and as independent as possible. He already has a tendency to try to be the center of attention of the house with his personality and frequent ideas and interuptions. Its going to be a real change from the quiet my teen son and I are used to, unless I keep younger son happily busy.

I am thinking of the following options and would love any feedback:

Using CLE for LA, Reading, and Math and CHC's 6th grade social studies and science. Maybe Teaching Textbooks too for math for reinforcement.

Using all CHC for everything (maybe Teaching Texbooks for math though)

Using St Thomas Aquinas Academy (STAA). I like that they offer a baseline assessment, and a lot of art emphasis and options. My son is definitely on the creative/artsy side.

He is a good student (B's and an occasional A in a rigorous public elementary school) but not a great student. He needs prompting to get his homework done and not the best in self organization. He does tend to get distracted and needs structure and routine. He also struggles some with abstract concepts. I worry a bit about whether he can handle "classical" education.

I will be enrolling him in a local homeschool outsource science lab class. (so I could technically drop the science course).

He will also do an art class with others somewhere and maybe a half day Catholic Friday fun coop. He is a social bee, loves interaction and creating and other kids really like him too. He is becoming a leader.

I would love a critique of my plans and a vote for one of them so I can get moving here. I will be so happy once I decide.
Back to Top View nightgalaxy's Profile Search for other posts by nightgalaxy

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 22 2014 at 4:56pm | IP Logged  

Hi, nightgalaxy~

Ugh....I'm so sorry about the bad experience at the school That's so frustrating. But, maybe it's a prompting from the Holy Spirit, and this is the beginning of an amazing journey for your family and your 6th grader, as a homeschooler!

The background information and the conversation in your previous thread is so helpful to others who would like to weigh in on your ideas and brainstorm with you. So we'd like to keep talking and adding on to your first thread, and lock or delete this one.

Have fun planning and considering for your new year....

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This topic is closed.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version