Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Mystery books Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 23 2006 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Inspired by Dawn's post (on her blog)about book baskets I thought about creating a mystery basket for my kids. Both my kids (12 and 9) like mysteries. Any good ones you can think of?

Natalia
Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 23 2006 at 3:07pm | IP Logged Quote Christine

The Happy Hollisters and Trixie Belden series are liked, here.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 23 2006 at 8:15pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Trixie Belden - yeah!
Sherlock Holmes, for your older
Encyclopedia Brown, many quick and fun summer reads

And the best mystery book ever - The Eleventh Hour: A Curious Mystery An amazing book, we recommend it to boaters getting ready for a crossing - it'll keep a person occupied for weeks (weeks!) if you don't give in and peek at the intricate answers (don't!) A must read.

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 23 2006 at 10:20pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Christine, Are the Happy Hollisters more suitable for boys or girls? i have forgotten about Trixie Belden. I think my dd would love them.

Jennifer, The Eleventh Hour sounds like something we would love around here. I never heard of it before. Thanks

I was thinking about introducing my eldest (12) to Hercules Poirot...

Natalia

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 24 2006 at 5:35am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

marihalojen wrote:

And the best mystery book ever - The Eleventh Hour: A Curious Mystery An amazing book, we recommend it to boaters getting ready for a crossing - it'll keep a person occupied for weeks (weeks!) if you don't give in and peek at the intricate answers (don't!) A must read.

Graeme Base is great! His illustration of Jabberwocky is a classic! Definitely worth the cost!

====

I don't know if I'd expose your 11 yo to Poirot -- although he's very good, some of the mysteries can be a bit on the seedy side of events. Miss Marple is a bit less risque. How 'bout Father Brown? Nancy Brown has done a study guide of The Blue Cross for Hillside Education -- and I believe she's done some middle-level readers of other Chesterton things that are due out this summer.

You might want to throw in a couple of Nancy Drews and Hardy Boys -- the old ones are better IMHO -- and a classic, that's probably only at the library is Who Rides in the Dark by Stephen Meader (which has a bit of living history to boot!)

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 24 2006 at 8:29am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Natalia wrote:
Inspired by Dawn's post (on her blog)about book baskets I thought about creating a mystery basket for my kids. Both my kids (12 and 9) like mysteries. Any good ones you can think of?

Thanks, Natalia. And I love your idea of a mystery basket!

We haven't read any of these, but I've had my eye on them for a while ~ Eco Mysteries, a series by Jean Craighead George. Anyone familiar with these?

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Cici
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 24 2006 at 8:40pm | IP Logged Quote Cici

One of my all time favorite "mysteries" at the age, was The Westing Game.

I love(d) this book and read it repeatedly. Also, I could never put the pieces together - no matter how many times I read it - and solve it before the book was over. I was just thinking about this book today - I may have to read it again.

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 24 2006 at 10:43pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

How about "Detectives in Togas" and "The Roman Ransom Mystery" by Winter. My kids loved these books and re-read them all the time.

I just bought the "Westing Game" for dc. I may have to read it myself, first!

Happy Hollisters are OK for boys or girls, being about a family---but I suspect they'll be more of a hit with girls. Hardy Boys (ironically written by the same syndicate as the Happy Hollisters AND Nancy Drew...)are big crowd pleasers around here, especially around the ages of your kids. Try to avoid the newer "mod" versions. They're not as good (according to my 11yo ds and his friends), and the Hardy Boys are not as clean cut as they used to be! Same goes for Nancy Drew.

My 13yodd has been reading and enjoying the Jane Austen mysteries by Stephanie Barron. The "Ghost of Nutley Manor" has a Catholic theme to it, too.

Oh, some of the Sherlock Holmes short mysteries are great. Maybe you could include a few taped Sherlock Holmes mysteries in your basket, too. I think Jim Weiss has a Sherlock Holmes tape that is available.

Also, maybe you could work in a little art history, too, by throwing in one of those Art History Mysteries from the series called "Art Fraud Detective". Using the pictures to piece together the clues, the kids discover WhoDunnit. Fun.

Kelly in FL

Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 25 2006 at 11:32am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

As a science tie-in you could do one of those crime labs science kits where you solve the crime looking at blood types, DNA, hair and fiber samples, fingerprints, etc. Or just do a study of fingerprints and make up your own crime. Hmmm...Now I might just have to jump in on this one! It sounds too fun!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

MEBarrett
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2006 at 12:38pm | IP Logged Quote MEBarrett

Good for you! I started reading mysteries at about 8 years old and it remains my favorite genre.

Is your 12 year old ready for Poe? Murders in the Rue Morgue is a short story that is credited with giving birth to modern detective fiction. I think The Gold Bug is his other Auguste Dupin (the detective) story.

John Dickson Carr has some really good locked room mysteries. You may want to preview for an adult theme. As with Agatha Christie the stories are set in the early 1900's and are very innocent but occasionally a husband or wife isn't behaving the way they should. It is always alluded to rather than said outright and I was reading them for years before I caught on (innocent or dumb - I have no idea).

How about Nancy Drew? The Boxcar Children (haven't read them but have heard good things)? The American Girl Series has mysteries for Samantha and Felicity, probably the other characters as well. Hardy Boys?

An easy leap from the mysteries are books like Frankenstein, Mary Shelley and Dracula, Bram Stoker.

Good luck, it sounds like my kind of basket.

Tales from the Bonny Blue House
O Night Divine
Back to Top View MEBarrett's Profile Search for other posts by MEBarrett Visit MEBarrett's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 27 2006 at 7:23am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Don't forget the board game CLUE! It would fit in the basket - right?

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 27 2006 at 7:29pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Kelly wrote:
maybe you could work in a little art history, too, by throwing in one of those Art History Mysteries from the series called "Art Fraud Detective"

We're just starting out with the Art Auction Mystery. We're working on the Annunciation by Fra Angelico and it's taking us forever to find the 8 mistakes (we found 7 in a day but we can't find the 8th).

Thanks for the mystery suggestions. I think we'll get a few of them this summer. My 14 yo ds has enjoyed Alfred Hitchcock Solve them Yourself Mysteries, an old oop book I found at the thrift store.

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 30 2006 at 12:16am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Hey Gwen, I think Alfred Hitchcock wrote the first few books of the "Three Investigator" series (though I'm pretty sure later ones were from a syndicate). You might check 'em out-I really liked those books when I was a kid.

Also, Natalia, your older child might like Josephine Tey's great history mystery, "Daughter of Time" about King Richard. I picked it up in large print edition for my ds when he was about 12, maybe 13, and he liked it. It's about a detective who's laid up with a broken leg, so he puts his investigative energies to solving a really old crime, the alleged murder, by Richard, of the two English princes (that aspect of the book might be too disturbing for your dc, but OTOH your dc might already know that history bit, so just a headzup).

BTW, getting Large Print editions of books is a great way to lure hestitant readers into big chapter books. I find the print font often scares kids away more than the actual words!

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 30 2006 at 9:10am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Kelly wrote:
Hey Gwen, I think Alfred Hitchcock wrote the first few books of the "Three Investigator" series (though I'm pretty sure later ones were from a syndicate). You might check 'em out-I really liked those books when I was a kid.

Oh yes, Kelly! We didn't have too many of these, but one we did own fell into pieces: "Secret of the Crooked Cat."

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 30 2006 at 9:31am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Kelly wrote:

BTW, getting Large Print editions of books is a great way to lure hestitant readers into big chapter books. I find the print font often scares kids away more than the actual words!

Kelly in FL

Kelly, this is a great idea! One of those "duh" moments. Thanks for suggesting.

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 30 2006 at 9:40am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

What about Bobbsey Twins and Boxcar children series? Are those considered twaddle? I have not read the latter. I did enjoy Bobbsey Twins growing up.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 31 2006 at 7:43pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Thanks all of you for the recommendations.

Searching around the internet for some whodunits for kids I came accross this website

mysteries

I has some great lesson plans. Also this one

Carol Hurst

It has some interesting reccomendations but they seem to need some previewing.

Natalia

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 01 2006 at 7:00am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Natalia, I just ordered Freddy, the Detective to read with my boys. I think it might be more humor than mystery, but thought I would mention it.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 01 2006 at 7:46am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Dawn wrote:
Natalia, I just ordered Freddy, the Detective to read with my boys. I think it might be more humor than mystery, but thought I would mention it.

I was just comming to mentioned that book. I went to the used books store yesterday and came accross two of the series! They looked fun!

Natalia

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 01 2006 at 4:21pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

How about Alvin's Secret Code? It was recently republished by Bethlehem Books.

Another is Secret Agents Four by the same author (Sobol) as Encyclopedia Brown, but different tone and format.

I haven't read this one, The Lost Baron but it looks to have distinct possibilites.

Finally, I recommend doing a quick search on the word "mystery" at Bethlehem Books. It brings up several possibilites, including A Long Way From Welcome and Big John's Secret which also look great!

Now you've got me ready to go shopping! (Or at least to request my library get some of these books!)

Hope this helps,

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version