Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Philosophy of Education
 4Real Forums : Philosophy of Education
Subject Topic: Norms and Nobility Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 04 2014 at 7:03am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Not sure if this is the best place for this or not. Go ahead and move it if-need-be moderators.

Over at Erin's blog she posted a link to another blog post about a book, Norms and Nobility.
Has anyone read it? In her discussion of the book, the blogger talks about how her children were missing out on some of the great literature mostly because she uses history as her homeschool spine. Her children missed out on a lot of the fairy tales of early childhood.

I've thought of that in the past. While we read picture books here, although not as much as we used to, even though I still have young children   , I worry that these younger kids are missing out on some of the really good literature that doesn't fall under the category of history.

Maybe it is just a matter of prioritizing our literature reading time; making sure I pull out some of the old favorites like Beatrix Potter and books of fairy tales. Maybe I need to make the younger kids a priority instead of the olders (my tea time read alouds are usually pulled from the booklists of the older kids and that means usually based on the period of history that we are studying). It just seems like there isn't enough hours in the day to meet every literature need for every level.

I'm curious if anyone has read Norms and Nobility and I'm interested in your opinions, both on the book and on the philosophy in general. I'm intrigued by what the author has to say but I really don't need to add another book to my "to read" pile just yet.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 04 2014 at 7:47am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Can you link to the blog post you are referencing?

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2014 at 9:29am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

I haven't read the book, but one thought I have is that not all reading has to be part of scheduled school time, especially with younger children. We didn't do fairy tales, Beatrix Potter, etc., all that schematically as part of our school day all the time -- though we have done them in our Morning Basket -- but often enough that was bedtime reading for younger children.

Sally

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 04 2014 at 11:57am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

When doing history lists you might also consider adding in some of those books either as an example of the literature of the time or because they're set in that time period.

But I also pull stuff like that out for reading when we're camping or things.. my mom read Beatrice Potter to the kids while I drove them to a swim meet a couple of hours away. All the kids found it fun.

So it doesn't have to be regular reading either.

And my oldest read the original fairy tales when she was older.. 13 ish I think, on her own.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 08 2014 at 8:32pm | IP Logged Quote JuliaT

I have read the book. I read it about 6 years ago so I can't remember all that he wrote. N&N is a treatise on Classical Education. It is a hard but good read. I have been wanting to re-read it this year as I am hoping my brain has become a bit bigger since my first read-through. AO uses this book (there is a reading list/curriculum at the back) as a jumping off point for the HEO (high school) years. N&N is also looked highly upon on the Circe Institute site.

The book largely discusses the principles that make up Classical Education. It does not come right out and say that literature should be read instead of historical fiction. The blogger that Erin linked to, came up with that thought on her own from reading N&N.

This has been a much discussed issue on another homeschooling forum. The blogger is not saying that historical fiction should not be read, what she is saying is that every family should do what feels right and important for them to bring all that is true, good and beautiful. For the blogger that means that she needed to find more time to bring fairy tales and well-written literature to the table. Historical fiction wss the thing that was taken out.

Personally, I agree with that blogger. We do not read a lot of historical fiction. We do have favourites that we re-read like Adam of the Road and Sign of the Beaver, but I want my children to know the childhood classics and I don't have time to do both.   Many families are able to do both and that is wonderful for them but I just can't so this is what I have figured out that works for our family.

MusingsofaPrairieGirl
Back to Top View JuliaT's Profile Search for other posts by JuliaT

ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 09 2014 at 3:51pm | IP Logged Quote ekbell

For history or geography I tend to focus on stories of the Saints, myths, folk tales, fairy tales and so on when adding read-aloud enrichment for the younger set. Historical fiction is generally presented as optional reading for the children comfortable with independent reading.

Classic children's stories tend to be bedtime reading, I make a point of reading some books every two to three years while others are read upon request. We're currently on our second hardcover copy of the complete Winnie-the-Pooh.

There's no particularly strong reason for this
-I have a big book of Fairy Tales (The Joy of Fairy Tales) which has a useful timeline broken into rough geographic areas from 600 BC onwards,
-my MIL (plus Santa )has given us a fair amount of fairy tales plus classic children's literature while historical fiction tends be at at the bottom of my to buy lists only bought if we still have some room in the budget after buying the rest of our books and other supplies
-last but not least I prefer to read-aloud stories I have fond memories of or that have language suitable for oral storytelling.

I also tend to give priority to books for my children who are not yet reading by themselves when choosing what to read aloud.   There's plenty of good in reading aloud to my older crew but if push comes to shove they can read the books on their own or take turns reading to each other (that's how the Narnia series was read in our house).
Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version