Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: The lesser known D'Aulaire titles Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 03 2014 at 2:38pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

We are starting to dive into World War I here and I remembered that we had a story picked up from a thrift store years ago on a little boy who dreams of being a pilot: Wings for Per... sadly now out of print and expensive. But it's a great book, as we should expect from the d'Aulaires. This led me to look at some of their other titles that we don't hear too much about and as it turns out, a couple of them have been republished in the past couple years! I'm eager to request them from the library or even splurge on a couple perhaps:

Ola - a Norwegian boy heads out for a day of adventure.
Children of the Northlights-- a peek into the daily life of a brother and sister of the indigenous Sami people. This has a sequel too.

And there are a few other light-hearted stories in print also.

I'd love to get my hands on Conquest of the Atlantic... the title is intriguing. Looks like a whole overview of exploration, based on these images?

And I'm sure their Lord's Prayer is as lovely as can be expected.

Anyone have or love any d'Aulaire titles other than the biographies/myths they are famous for?

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 03 2014 at 3:45pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I just added Conquest of the Atlantic to my wishlist recently, but I have not seen it. I wish these books were more readily available.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 03 2014 at 4:20pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Oh Ellie, my kindred picture book spirit... You know, I was just thinking the same thing in recent weeks and have intended to try to get my hands on some of their lesser known/not as available titles as well.   A few weeks ago I stumbled on Don't Count Your Chicks - a picture book from 1943 based on the famous proverb "Don't count your chickens before they hatch." It is sweet and adorably illustrated as you would expect. I added it to the Chicken picture book thread.   

Per is one I wanted to see. Our library has it but in the closed stacks, so need to make a trip to the main library just to see it but can't check it out.

They have a version of The Star Spangled Banner. Since it is the 200th birthday of the song later this year, I definitely want to get that one.

So anyway, I will be right there with you trying to discover the treasures of their hard to find titles. Looking forward to what others have to share.

Interesting article on the couple I'm loving the rabbit trail...

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2014 at 9:40am | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

Oh Mary that link isn't working! I'll post some inside views of Per on my blog soon.

I do remember seeing that Star Spangled Banner once, glad to remember it!

And Lindsay, I agree. There are so many treasures fallen out of print… and for what? To make space for inferior twaddle most the time.   

So glad Purple House Press is trying to remedy that to some degree...

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 04 2014 at 10:19am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

knowloveserve wrote:

So glad Purple House Press is trying to remedy that to some degree...

Yes! I even wrote to them asking them to PLEASE consider reprinting the Mousekin books. My boys just love them, but they sre SO pricey! Maybe you should send them a note about D'aulaire.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 04 2014 at 4:54pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I fixed the link, Ellie.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 26 2014 at 1:15am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

The Two Cars - kind of reminds me a bit of Disney's Cars - or rather maybe Cars has elements of this in its personification of the cars . It is a vehicular tortoise and the hare type story. Slow and steady older model takes on sleek and speedy newer model. Cute ending.

MaryM wrote:
They have a version of The Star Spangled Banner. Since it is the 200th birthday of the song later this year, I definitely want to get that one.

Got this one on interlibrary loan. It is really sweet. Has all 4 verses of the song. Illustrations go back and forth between color and b&w; historical & battle scenes and everyday American life.

Our Domestic Church

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version