Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
St. Anne's Tearoom: Growing in Wisdom over 40
 4Real Forums : St. Anne's Tearoom: Growing in Wisdom over 40
Subject Topic: Can we talk weight gain and clothes? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 03 2014 at 1:51pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Hm, striking out on the skirt at J.Jill. I do kind of covet this dress, though.

Sally

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 03 2014 at 2:33pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I think a shirt dress can be a good foundational piece that is more flattering to curves and bunches than a sheath dress. I can also nurse in it, which makes it one of the few dresses I can practicably wear. It wasn't until seeing this wardrobe on Pinterest that I realized I was underutilizing the dress I have. I, too, am pear shaped, so I have a couple of higher waisted dresses that still fit. The whole slide show I linked is a good example of a capsule wardrobe.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 03 2014 at 2:56pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I like a princess cut dress with a full skirt, it can be fitted to skim down the torso and flare over the hips which is also a very flattering look, and gives you a similiar shape to an a-line and in a simple design is just as versatile as the sheath dress.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

mommy4ever
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 03 2014 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote mommy4ever

I just don't do dresses as a rule.

Yes, we need to work with the shape we're given. I have some challenges, but I 'clean-up' real nice according to many people when I make the effort. Not only shape, but coloring too.

Picking out an outfit for the sake that it looks nice on a mannequin or some one else, can be very discouraging. What can look gorgeous one a friend, may be horrible on me. EEK. But I have my own curves, and my own complexion etc to work with.

It's really a matter of taking time to get to the stores, and keep trying things on until you find something that works.

I don't like light weight fabrics, I feel that every lump and bump shows. I love mid weight denims. I feel that my lines are smoother.

I am planning to make a denim skirt. I have the pattern, even have the fabric. I just need to find the time..lol.

I found out I had been picking the wrong colors for my coloring for a long time. I had no idea.

I had a friend, she was a big lady. Her jacket was a 2xL. But she is by far the best dresser I've ever known. The reason was she knew her colors, and found cuts that brought out her features. She has gorgeous hair and skin. And fun sparkly eyes, so she wore things that made you look more to her face. The size was not really a factor. She looked nice, always. She has lost the weight now, in her 50's and she's beautiful, still dresses really classy :) Wish i had her knack. If you take the time to notice, she really doesn't have an extensive wardrobe, she had a capsule of 15-16 items, tops bottoms and cardigans/blazer and everything went together in one way or the other. As she lost weight, she only replaced the things she couldn't make work. Pants she took in waists. T-shirts are cheaper so when they got too baggy, she replaced those. Cardigans were good for a range of sizes, and can work for quite a range of sizes. Scarves and necklaces.

That is my goal. Build a versatile wardrobe that can get me threw my weight loss journey with a minimum cost as the weight goes down.

2 homeschooled(one considering art school!)
ardently praying for a new addition to our family.
Back to Top View mommy4ever's Profile Search for other posts by mommy4ever

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 03 2014 at 3:02pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

If you have a Cato near you, that would be another good place to try,
The store has a good size range and stylish options that are affordable.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

mamaslearning
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 03 2014 at 7:23pm | IP Logged Quote mamaslearning

Oh my! Thank you all so much for the ideas, inspirations, and support! I can't wait to dig into each of these posts. I was getting so frustrated about clothes, but I'm beginning to realize that I have to think about my clothing differently. What has worked in the past will not work on this new shape, so it is something that I need to relearn. While I'm not excited about the prospect of one more thing to do, I am excited to think that I can feel better with just a few pieces. I especially like the idea of the core wardrobe and will be hitting those websites tonight.

Thanks again!

Back to Top View mamaslearning's Profile Search for other posts by mamaslearning

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 04 2014 at 1:21pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

If you have time this is a very interesting post about body image and weight and size and such.

Female bodies, a Weighty Issue

I loved it because I've been fighting with medical professionals all my life with what weight I "should" be. Not to mention growing up with a curvy body when boy slim is the ideal

As an adult I've been as thin as I could be and still be healthy, and I still wore a jr. 11 pants (in 1991) and weighed 155lbs.. no way I could be healthy and get down to even the top of the weight range "they think" I should be in (120-135).

Of course I'm overweight now.. and want to lose it but it's not working right now and I'm not one that will go to an extreme to make it happen so I'm slowly trying to figure out what might be going on and what will work in a healthy way.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

mamaslearning
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2014 at 8:20am | IP Logged Quote mamaslearning

Part of my problem is not completely admitting that my body has changed. I mean, I know it has, I can't deny it, but I still live in the world where I am young, healthy, and a different size. When I go shopping, I still pick out items based on what used to work and not what works now. I guess this is more about changing my mindset than anything else.

With all these new ideas, I have been collecting things to try the next time I'm out in a store. I am also realizing that I might have to invest in some good quality pieces to get the right drape and fit. Those cheap shirts from Kohls last about three washings before looking out of shape and ragged.

I was also looking at the Diet Cure suggested above (thanks!) and I know from past visits to a doctor that I have serotonin issues and I'm susceptible to adrenal fatigue. It seems that the healing I have achieved in the past couple of years is crumbling due to this weight gain and new stress. Time to get back into taking care of myself mode!   

Back to Top View mamaslearning's Profile Search for other posts by mamaslearning

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 05 2014 at 8:49am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Ack- quality is such a relative term in clothing, isn't it?
I've had lemons all over the board from all different brands. I've had Walmart items stand the test of time, and Lands End shirts that get holes in them after a couple of washings.

Some of my Kohls t-shirts are going strong, but I had to abandon two I bought last summer after wearing them only a couple of times. One came out of the wash looking like a rag- no ironing or line drying could help it, and one developed a series of holes.

It can be so frustrating, can't it?

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 05 2014 at 9:13am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

mamaslearning wrote:

Time to get back into taking care of myself mode!   

Amen, sista! I'm having a great surge of energy and hope in feeling better since joining myfitnesspal so once you get your clothes project where you want it, check it out! It is proving to be a big project up front (like your clothes project) so I personally wouldn't want to do both at once...I'm doing MFP and spring baseball all at once and am pretty sure I'm NUTS

Keep up the awesome work and keep us posted

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version