Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Fun-Looking Old Free Science Books Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 29 2014 at 10:19am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

There was a post on the Common Room blog yesterday or the day before about a 1923-vintage book in a World Book science series of that era. I pulled it up here, and it does look like fun.

Then I went looking for an earlier, more nature-themed book in the same series, Trees, Stars, and Birds, and found it here.

Both can be downloaded for free in .pdf and other e-reader formats. I spent some time reading through them last night and really liked them. (I love the photos of 20s-era kids doing science experiments in the Common Science book!)

So if anyone's looking for a budget-friendly spine for a middle-school general science, or a nature spine for older elementary, I think these could work. You could read TSB aloud to younger kids, but it doesn't have the narrative sweetness of some classic nature reads -- which my kids actually appreciate. I hate to say it, but we have a real Arabella Buckley allergy going in my house, which is too bad, because I love her. So I was actually looking for something slightly drier, weird as that sounds.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my finds!

Sally

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version