Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: Living by the timer Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 27 2014 at 5:56am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Some people love their spreadsheets, planners and to do lists, but I have to admit: I love my timer.

I use my kitchen timer every day for so many things: kid's practicing instruments, school, even as a heads-up when it's time to get ready to go somewhere. If I know we need to leave in 30 minutes, I will set the timer to go off ten minutes before so we can be ready on time.

I find my timer to be so helpful and freeing. Once I set it, I don't have to keep looking at the clock or my watch. When it goes off, we all know it's time to move on to the next thing. The timer is really contributing to a more peaceful/less rushed atmosphere at my house, plus it keeps us accountable: when the timer goes off, you do have to put down your legos and get your coats and shoes.

There is also the added benefit of my not being so much the drill master, barking orders and deciding what to do when. The kids know that when they hear the timer, it means a switch is coming. They have done XYZ for the allotted time, and now it's time for something else.

So- I'm wondering if I'm alone in this or if any of you out there are timer fans as well. I would say it is my most important tool for staying organized.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 27 2014 at 6:38am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

SeaStar wrote:
There is also the added benefit of my not being so much the drill master, barking orders and deciding what to do when. The kids know that when they hear the timer, it means a switch is coming. They have done XYZ for the allotted time, and now it's time for something else.

So- I'm wondering if I'm alone in this or if any of you out there are timer fans as well. I would say it is my most important tool for staying organized.

Agreed! Except I wear a sports watch with a timer because it's not just at home that I need it!!

Math drills, chores, "just five minutes of handwriting" for my first grader, leaving for things, etc.

I have two kinds: a timer that counts up (we use that for math drills) and a timer that counts down (we use that for chores, etc.).

I often tell people my Timex Expedition watch is one of my most important tools!

The only BAD thing is if I time someone close enough to noon, I *might* forget to switch back to clock mode... and then the time ends up being close enough to the real time for me to be thrown off by fifteen minutes or more!!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 27 2014 at 6:43am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

I use the timer on my microwave pretty much daily, for math and reading and other schoolwork times, as well as for "take a ten-minute break and let's see how your mood is at the end of it."

Sally

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 27 2014 at 7:46am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

My timer on my stove doesn't work, my children broke my microwave (cooking a fork), and same children broke the magnet off of the kitchen timer I bought, etc... I've bought egg timers from Ikea, but they play with those constantly and lose them. My mom used the stove timer for *everything*, and she didn't even home school. It is hard to get into a time habit when you have to go looking for the timer. Maybe I need a watch like Maryan's???

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 27 2014 at 8:23am | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

This lanyard timer and this magnetic easel timer have been very helpful for tracking and timing day to day activities. I bought them when we were having problems with the control panel on our stove (which dh has since replaced ~ yeah!). The lanyard version is nice when you're traveling about the house, or even away from home. The easel version tends to be chosen more frequently (probably for ease of use and visibility) and has already survived several mishaps in the year we've had it. A watch would probably be easier for individual use, but these timers are used often by everyone in our household for various and sundry tasks. for using timers to manage your day!

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 27 2014 at 9:06am | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Our stove timer is broken as well. :( This is a good reminder to get it fixed or find something else. I find the timer works especially well for my boys. Thanks, Melinda, for the reminder.

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

mommy4ever
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 27 2014 at 9:58am | IP Logged Quote mommy4ever

I use the time and alarms on my cell phone, extensively.

I have alarms for online classes, picking up dayhome kids, getting ready for out of the house routine activities. Karate, swimming, piano.

Timer on phone for timed items. Need to do more of it with dd10, so she quits dawdling so much.

Learned the timer thing with Flylady years ago. It works. Just 15 minutes can do accomplish lots. Even 5 minutes is all it takes to empty and load a dishwasher ;) But sometimes we think too much and don't get it done. Timer makes many things do-able.

2 homeschooled(one considering art school!)
ardently praying for a new addition to our family.
Back to Top View mommy4ever's Profile Search for other posts by mommy4ever

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 27 2014 at 11:21am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Yep-

Flylady was my big intro to the world of timers. I love setting the timer, doing whatever needs to be done, and then being able to stop because the timer went off.

I know that Angie Mc has mentioned that she uses a computer timer for her on line time. I have not yet tried that, but I think it's a very good idea for me.
I wonder if my computer has a built in timer or if there is software that will close down your session when your time is done?

Something to investigate...

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 27 2014 at 11:53am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

mommy4ever wrote:
Learned the timer thing with Flylady years ago. It works. Just 15 minutes can do accomplish lots. Even 5 minutes is all it takes to empty and load a dishwasher ;) But sometimes we think too much and don't get it done. Timer makes many things do-able.

SeaStar wrote:
Flylady was my big intro to the world of timers. I love setting the timer, doing whatever needs to be done, and then being able to stop because the timer went off.

Ditto! And Lindsay, I have to have a watch that is attached with timer and glowlight! Watch for Nursing babies (just to know how many times I'm waking up?!?! I'm too blind to see the clock), Timer for running and studying boys... at any time and place. It's always right there attached to me! Otherwise I would NEVER know where I put a timer.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

motherheart
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 27 2014 at 7:11pm | IP Logged Quote motherheart

Me, too! I started using timers after Flylady.

I set the timer for our school sessions, school breaks, time outs, time until something will happen, etc. My kids use our timers, too! We have two, plus the one on the stove. I love it when I hear, "where's the timer??"

Mom to ds 16, dd 14, dd 13, ds 9, ds 6, and 4 in Heaven
Back to Top View motherheart's Profile Search for other posts by motherheart

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 28 2014 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Love, love, love timers! I'm on Focus Booster right now

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

3ringcircus
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 28 2014 at 11:04pm | IP Logged Quote 3ringcircus

Well, I am feeling so inspired by this talk of timers! I love being relaxed about schooling, but hate being the big taskmaster when it's time to transition to activities the DSs don't like.

Back to Top View 3ringcircus's Profile Search for other posts by 3ringcircus

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 29 2014 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Yes, love all of our timers too. We have two digital ones on the fridge, 2 in the kid-bathroom, our stove timer, my phone and my watch.

Use them ALL THE TIME!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

3ringcircus
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 31 2014 at 5:32pm | IP Logged Quote 3ringcircus

Just used a timer today! I had my dawdler go in 20 min. sprints on his work. When he got belligerent with me (as usual), I simply said he had to sit there until the timer went off. If he chose not to work, then that was his choice. The 20 (or 10 min) break would be coming up no matter what he got accomplished.

After some whining, he got down to work. If he wasted my time, I got up and started cleaning the kitchen while he sat there bored until the timer beeped. Usually though, he started working by himself after I walked away! He said he liked the new process and wanted to do it again tomorrow. Since he has legitimate focus issues, I think the sprint mentality followed by a free-range break for us both might do the trick. It still was a long work day, but I have hope that things will tighten up and get more efficient.

Back to Top View 3ringcircus's Profile Search for other posts by 3ringcircus

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version