Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: Chores and Organized Supplies Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 13 2014 at 4:14pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Okay, I need to revamp things for cleaning and enabling chores. At one point, I was pretty good about having disinfectant wipes in all three bathrooms, but it seemed like such a waste, both ecologically and monetarily, so I tried keeping spray under each sink. More about that later.

I really like the idea of having cleaning buckets for different duties, namely bathrooms and dusting.

There are two big factors that bog us down during chores (besides the insufferable lollygagging!!!):

1) Spray bottles. No matter how many I buy to keep filled and try keeping under the bathroom sinks, there is only ever one bottle of spray in the whole house that anyone can find and everyone needs it at once and/or wastes time tracking it down. This can't be actually true, but they are migratory creatures around here.

2) Brooms. They break. Cheap ones don't sweep well. Expensive ones are expensive to replace. I really dislike using a wooden handled broom. I am not sure how it happens, but I am imagining the following scenario: boy drops broom, broom lands on stairs, boy sees broom suspended on stairs and just. cannot. resist. stepping on it. I haven't seen this happen, but it seems the most likely course of events. I cannot properly express how much finding a mangled angers me. It isn't pretty.

And we are down to two usable inside brooms plus the little one that goes with the dust pan stand.

My oldest is now diligent enough to look for that spray bottle and track down the broom. Working on diligence with my 7 and 5 year olds definitely needs to be addressed, but I would also like to address the supply issue because A) it drives me batty, and B) I want to make sure that I am helping them succeed as much as I am able, covering *my* bases.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 13 2014 at 5:57pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

No advice. That kind of thing happens in my house all the time, even with far fewer boys and an older set altogether.

I think the spray-bottle fairies and the vinegar elves invade and raid when they hear me thinking about housecleaning, because no matter how much I think we have . . .

My house is in dire need of a Lenten deep-clean, and just thinking about it makes me go all limp.

Sally

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 13 2014 at 6:20pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Ok a couple of ideas that may or may not help.

First of all, maybe the brooms don't lay flat so even stepping on a broom that's laying on a flat surface can cause issues. So you might check on that and see if there's an acceptable broom that would lay more flush so that if it's stepped on it doesn't bend and break. Also, if you have the chance to catch said stepper on-ers, let them use the little hand brooms since they can't care for the longer handled brooms

Second idea.. do you label your spray bottles for the rooms they belong in? I'm actually thinking large bands of color from sharpie marker.. you know a band of red for the bathroom, blue for the kitchen, etc. Then everyone can know at a glance where the spray bottle goes so it gets put back in the correct location.

Also consider that water (a cloth that's gotten wet) may do most of the job without needing spray bottles or special cleaners.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 13 2014 at 6:22pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Oh one other help.. could you get a cheap broom to use the handle to replace a broken handle?

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 13 2014 at 11:26pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

Just want to say: we use a stick vacuum instead of a broom on all our hard floors and it works wonderfully for my 7yos and 5yo. I love this one: Dirt Devil Simpli-Stik. They only last about a year, but that's with children operating it 2-3 times daily, so I don't consider that too bad.    (Admittedly, my kids are pretty careful with it.) It's so much easier and faster than sweeping.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 13 2014 at 11:38pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Re: spray bottles disappearing

This won't totally eliminate the problem, but it may help decrease it a bit.

Anything that is a "MOVING-MULTIPLE" in the house gets LABELED with its HOME/LOCATION. I use the label maker, but you can just write with a sharpie on most things.

Scissors, nail clippers, spray bottles, calculators, hole punch, paper trimmer, prayer books, card decks, white erase markers, etc.....

So, when the person MOVES it and then LEAVES IT somewhere, which of course happens all the time, the "finder" picks it up and can put it back where it belongs instead of just putting it in the closest-possible-location. OR.....just leaving it sit there b/c they aren't sure where it goes.

So, each nail clipper is labeled with it's HOME....kid-bathrm, mom-bathrm, mom-dresser, mom-desk, van, mom-purse, voilin-1, violin-2, kitchen.

Same thing with a spray bottle that belongs under different sinks....so if they moved, at least you know where they belong and can put it back without going to various locations.

The other solution would be to have three times as many spray bottles as you really need.....

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 13 2014 at 11:40pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

SallyT wrote:
My house is in dire need of a Lenten deep-clean, and just thinking about it makes me go all limp.

Ugh. Me too. totally limp.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 13 2014 at 11:46pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

The other thing I think we've done about the spray bottle thing is to just STASH a whole bunch of those bottles out in the garage (or wherever). When we're REALLY IN THE ZONE and getting things done and then all of a sudden NO ONE CAN FIND THE STUPID SPRAY BOTTLE, I can just scream at the top of my lungs,

JUST GO GET A NEW ONE!"

The oldest is the only one who knows where they are stashed and problem solved momentarily....and cleaning can resume. Because really THAT's the important thing, right???   

So, I vote for labeling them all, putting a couples extras in each location and then having a stash tucked away somewhere. Paul will think you've abssolutely lost your marbles, but then remind him of the time he wondereed when was the last time the windows got cleaned (as he looked out the back door at the completely smudged full-of-food-and-fingerprints-window) and you said, "Are you kidding???? I just actually CLEANED that window this morning!!!@#$%^$#@"    

I still think of that story and laugh my tushie off, Lindsay! Do you even REMEMBER that?    Hilarious!

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 14 2014 at 8:54am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Ha! I usually just don't even bother with windows in my cleaning scheme, for that precise reason. And again, I don't even have little kids. And the dog can't reach that many windows. Still. Five minutes, and it's like the fingerprints just grow there.

We've had this epidemic of people falling down the stairs lately, which always makes my heart stop, but so far no real injuries. The major culprit/victim is my 16-year-old son, who is always carrying a mug of hot tea. Twice now in recent days he's done this thing where he trips over his own feet, starts to fall, and flings the tea mug up in the air, so that the tea drenches him, the wall, and the stairs, then the mug shatters into a million pieces even as he goes crashing down.

The first time he did it, he and my husband were already running late (it was an on-campus day for him), so he went off with tea and milk in his hair, and I cleaned everything up. Only later did I notice the big streaks of tea all down the stairwell wall -- which was when I went on a rampage looking for a spray bottle, which I never found, just poured vinegar on a rag. And now he's done it again, and I just haven't even looked at the wall (see "limp," above).

Sally

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 17 2014 at 11:33am | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Such a timely thread! I just came home from out of state travels to help Pilgrim during baby's birth and cleaning is top priority!

While we were away I visited Aldi stores a couple times (we don't have any close by) and was once again impressed by the genius of their cart system, which could be modified for use with household cleaning products! For those unfamiliar with Aldi, customers put a quarter into a slot to release a grocery cart for use; when they return the cart after shopping, the quarter is returned to them. Why not have a system where family members deposit a token, card or coin for use of a cleaning product, which can then be returned after use for redemption of some sort of reward when finished with a cleaning job! A win for Mom who keeps cleaning supplies in check and a win for the family member who happily receives whatever benefit is attached to returning the cleaning supply!

Pilgrim has a cabinet and overflow shelf in their laundry room for all cleaning supplies, high out of reach of little ones. I notice that having their cleaning supplies centralized really keeps them from floating all about the house. We aren't blessed with a large enough space to keep all our cleaning supplies corralled in one space and continually struggle with the ongoing dilemma of who put which cleaner where when it comes time for cleaning....which needs to be soon, and very soon, if I could just muster the energy and motivation!!!!

Happy Lenten and Spring cleaning everyone!

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 17 2014 at 2:43pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Those are good ideas, Servant. I wish I had space enough to do this Cleaning Station that I came across. I did declutter my kitchen and was able to get some direction for under the sink there. Need to label the spray bottle still!

Good ideas to ponder all! I hope that as I work my way through the house decluttering I will be further inspired.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 17 2014 at 3:05pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Lindsay, that cleaning station is really inspiring! Our broom closet and cleaning supplies need an overhaul ~ while I won't have room for all the ideas she implemented, several of her might be possible there! Thank you for giving me a kickstart with this great thread! Back to unpacking and cleaning (in between recuperating from a veryyyyyy long drive)!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version