Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: Freaking out-just a little Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mommy4ever
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 04 2014 at 1:15pm | IP Logged Quote mommy4ever

Sorry to hear that, I have had experience with abusive administration and teachers.

My dd14 went to school this year. She is doing well, but doesn't like the school. DD16 went back to school 3 years ago.

Both have asked if they can change. DD16 was going to homeschool. DD14 told me she was going to as well. I asked what was going on. DD16 finds all the people in the school, don't care about being there, she struggles some and can't get the help she needs, doesn't get the instruction. DD14 loves the kids, but has problems with some teachers, and faces having her the next 3 years. So she doesn't want to deal with that.

We are looking at all options. DD16 was done with homeschooling, but now sees the benefit of it. DD14 was on the lonely side with homeschooling, but now has more options with what she can do, and sees the benefit of it. We did explore a Self-Directed-Learning school. And they loved it. Some of the perks of homeschooling, but with the benefits of help desks to get the help as they need it. We are considering it.

Exploring options, is always a good thing. If some one had stripped down my child in such a way, the benefit of that is we know where they are coming from, and that it is likely not a good place to be.

I hope you can find a the solution that is needed, whatever that might be.

2 homeschooled(one considering art school!)
ardently praying for a new addition to our family.
Back to Top View mommy4ever's Profile Search for other posts by mommy4ever

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 04 2014 at 1:16pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Janette has such good questions, and it sounds like you are being very thorough investigating all the possibilities.

Would a program like DuoLingo help salvage the Spanish situation?
It's free, on line, and you can track your progress. Your ds may enjoy the format... very low stress but I find it fun and effective. With the tracking, it might be able to count as credit if you choose to homeschool for the remainder of the year.

My heart really breaks for you and your ds. It is so hard to be a boy, especially a teenage boy, these days. I will keep you all in my prayers

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 04 2014 at 1:31pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

If the teacher's feel like he won't do the work and treat him as if he can't do the work.. then changing schools and perhaps getting teacher's that will help him and treat him like he is capable.. changing mid-year could be a real benefit.

I changed schools mid-year often.. and usually there was very little problem with it. Sure I missed some sections of history.. but you could say that about any class anyway.. no one can cover EVERYTHING.

Spring break should be coming up so he could switch and it's unlikely that too much will be "in the middle" of a unit or whatever.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: March 04 2014 at 2:18pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

roomintheheart wrote:
My biggest concern is his Spanish class. He's been struggling through Spanish I this year, and the other school doesn't have Spanish, just French. So he'd lose that one credit he's worked so hard for, and have to start over if he were to take the 2 years of foreign language they recommend for a 4-year college. He says he doesn't care if he goes to a 4-year college and doesn't care if he loses the credit. I'd care, though.

As for sports--he'd have to stay on the JV for all his team sports for a full year, but if he switched now, he'd be eligible for Varsity track next year--which could be a big deal for him. He went to State last year, and would have a good chance again this year with his current school (which he'd miss if he transferred). I suppose next year is always a possibility, but the other school's sports programs are not nearly as competitive (not that I care that much--but sports are important to him).

If sports are not a big deal to you and he's willing to miss out on the possibility of State, then I'd say let him. Maybe he's so unhappy that State doesn't matter or maybe he's looking forward to the chance at varsity.

Here students are able to take "credit by exam" tests to place out of K-12 courses. We order the tests through Texas Tech but take the test at a local school. Students can also take correspondence courses through Texas Tech in the same way if they don't know the material well enough to place out right away. Could your son finish Spanish in a similar way and maybe take Spanish 2 independently instead of through the public school? My kids graduated high school with 3 years of Latin and so don't have to take foreign language in college, but if they hadn't had any foreign language the university would still have accepted them. They would just have had to take 2 years of foreign language in college. Maybe that would be a possibility for you all? Or maybe your son could dual enroll in PSEO for language? Or maybe he loses Spanish and starts over with French. Both are romance languages so the Spanish that he's learned will help him with French -- sentence structure, some root word similarities.

roomintheheart
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 07 2014 at 7:02pm | IP Logged Quote roomintheheart

Well, we went and registered him for the other school this morning, and I've been crying all day. The family went to soup supper & stations of the cross without me tonight, because I just cannot seem to pull myself together.
Back to Top View roomintheheart's Profile Search for other posts by roomintheheart

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 07 2014 at 7:10pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

roomintheheart
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 09 2014 at 12:04pm | IP Logged Quote roomintheheart

Just an update, in case anyone is wondering :). He switched schools on March 17, and on March 31 (his birthday) he had about 20 kids show up for a casual birthday party (movies & pizza at our house). That would never have happened at his old school--he couldn't get one person to come last year.

He is going to the weight room two morning a week, track after school every day (though he isn't eligible to compete) and open gym basketball two nights a week. All this physical activity plus the social contact has vastly improved his attitude and general demeanor at home.

He still doesn't put the effort into schoolwork that I would like, but I have given up trying to change that. I remind him every day to do homework and study, and he doesn't. I have to keep telling myself that it is his life, not mine.

Anyway, it is a huge pain for me to have kids in two different schools, especially since he just got his license and now is in the wrong place to help with any driving , but he is much happier. I still feel (foolishly) slightly embarrassed when I go to school #1 for my daughter's events--as if I don't have a right to be there anymore or something. I'm sure that will pass.

I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your prayers. I hope this turns out to be a good decision in the long run.
Back to Top View roomintheheart's Profile Search for other posts by roomintheheart

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 09 2014 at 12:36pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

That is good news.. And even if he's not helping with driving at least his move doesn't mean that you're driving MORE

-Sir Walter Scott

roomintheheart
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 09 2014 at 12:50pm | IP Logged Quote roomintheheart

Actually, it does mean more driving , but we're dealing with it. Because of the logistics of 2 vehicles, 3 drivers, and family members in 4 different locations every day, some days I end up driving dh to & from work, or driving to pick up kids from both schools after sports, etc. But it's only two more years (I've been counting down to his graduation since 6th grade). We are making it work.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version