Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: Organizing art prints for picture study Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 1:30pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

How do you? Organize your art prints, I mean?

I've undertaken our mid-winter re-organization and purge in the learning room and Montessori closet, and I even tackled my storage closet in the learning room. Ahhhhhhhh!!! It's breathtaking! And so organized and tidy! And I got rid of lots, too, which is always refreshing, isn't it?!

So, I'm down to the last thing - my files. And I'm staring at the bulk of my files and they're art prints for picture study. I'm considering really consolidating the number of hanging files I've got and just doing away with my small filing drawer altogether...but what to do with the art prints I have??

In what type of storage *thing* do you organize your art prints? -- box, file, magazine holder???

How do you organize them? By art period? Artist? Liturgically? Seasonally/Monthly?

I'm thinking of slimming down my files and just planning out my picture study for the year and organizing them into monthly files. What do you think?? Anyone organize like that?? Then I'd only end up with 12 hanging files, and each month would have our picture study in there, along with liturgical year holy cards for display, seasonal items of interest, maybe even a seasonal craft or printable. It would give me monthly files to drop resources into all year long. I do like the idea of that...but....I sort of really wanted to eliminate the file drawer because it takes up space under my desk. So, I might just use a magazine file holder and 12 pretty file folders. That kind of thing can live neatly on one of my shelves, takes up far less space, and then...I'm able to move one.more.thing along! Thoughts?

Do share how you organize picture study prints as well as those seasonal/monthly items that need to land *somewhere*!!

Thanks!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 2:25pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I've been buying the sets from Simply Charlotte Mason, which come in a heavy envelope that would easily store on a shelf with taller books.

If yours are loose, I imagine a binder with plastic sleeves would work well as long as you could trim down the print to 8.5x11 or smaller. This would certainly store well on a shelf.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 2:40pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

CrunchyMom wrote:
I've been buying the sets from Simply Charlotte Mason, which come in a heavy envelope that would easily store on a shelf with taller books.

I have those, too, Lindsay because I do love the quality and the coordinated biography of the artist! But they're too large to fit in my hanging files so I don't even keep them in there.    However, I am grateful for the reminder because I didn't even have my SCM art folios in the same place so I wasn't thinking of them as part of my picture study group!! Thanks for identifying another challenge of mine in keeping everything together! Clearly, that needs to be part of this solution, too!

I do have loose ones, too. Of varying sizes.

Thanks for jogging my memory on the SCM art folios! Keep chatting ladies! I'm going to figure this one out!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 3:39pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Jen, I'm at the tail end of our homeschooling journey and still not been able to tame the abundance of art prints, holy cards and liturgical images we've amassed through the years, despite numerous ill-fated attempts. I still dream and live vicariously through creative, inspired (brave) souls like you! Some items that might interest you: poly vertical pockets in a color you'd like; larger, more versatile presentation binders; tented activity folder (looks like it would also serve well for display purposes); fabric wall pockets; or legal size vinyl pouches. Blessings on your purging and reorganizing efforts!

ETA: This stand-up paper organizer looks better than the tented activity folder. Showed up in amazon history when I returned to the site.

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 3:50pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I'm toying with abandoning the bulk of my very rag tag art print collection and just going with the prints from SCM.   

Why? I just never have figured out a good way to organize them without having them hidden away and forgotten or having various prints in various places and then not remembering what is where.... then not using them at all .

At this moment I know exactly which portfolios I have from SCM and where they are. That seems to say something important to me . There is always the library for art books if I need something in particular.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 4:05pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Servant2theKing wrote:
poly vertical pockets in a color you'd like;

I that you know me so well, Servant! That's friendship - when someone knows to look out for your favorite colors!

Servant2theKing wrote:
larger, more versatile presentation binders;

Took me a bit to figure out how these work, but once I did I really liked them! They're a fantastic idea for collecting various prints by the same artist! And they come in some useful sizes, too. I really like this! Thinking about how I might store and organize these...

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 4:10pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Jen, I had at one time a tallish, but slim basket that held 12 white paper folders with pockets. I labeled each month with pretty letter stickers and put bills and random monthly things in them. I always thought I would do what you mentioned above and put liturgical things like pictures, holy cards, crafts, and recipes, but I am good at organizing but not following through. Sad, but true. It was nice looking, though, and sat on my desk and did not take up much room.

To make more room on my desk and eliminate piles of papers, I recently purchased a pretty wall hanging file with two 'pockets' and a pretty box type thing with four slots for file folders. I purchased several packages of pretty file folders from Target. I am still trying to get things organized and get more school things to this area versus bills and the thousands of other paper items that come through this house.

I'm pretty sure one of your organizing posts was the inspiration for this so thank you. :)

Off to look at the sets from SCM.

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 4:11pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

SeaStar wrote:
I'm toying with abandoning the bulk of my very rag tag art print collection and just going with the prints from SCM.   

I will definitely be purging a lot, too, Melinda! I like the SCM series for its pulled-togetherness, too!

Which is a different, but interesting thought to consider - maybe it would be more worthwhile to collect more artists in the SCM series than to spin my wheels and effort in organizing several different groups.    

Clearly, my next step needs to be dumping this file cabinet out and sorting it to see how much I want to even keep. That may answer my question for me!

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 4:25pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Jen, we have larger 14 x 17 in. Itoya presentation books which we've used for various timeline projects. They fit quite nicely sitting upright on the floor between bookshelves, or laying flat on the floor beneath a cabinet with feet. Their footprint is also slim enough to fit nicely in unexpected places, perhaps between cabinets or shelves creatively placed back to back in the middle of a learning room!

The presentation books(black) we've used have poly sleeves (similar to page protectors) with contruction paper type inserts, which is why they're listed as having 12 pages but able to display 24 pics. I'm not sure the ones I linked are exactly the same, but they seem to be similar. The white ones just looked more your style!   

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 4:49pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

This got me curious to go check out the offerings at SCM again. Currently there are portfolios for 13 different artists, and new ones are added periodically,

I like that all the prints are very high quality and all the same size. I can honestly see myself pulling these out and using them over and over. The folders fit neatly on my bookshelf. The price is very reasonable as well... $14.95 for a portfolio of 6 prints.

You know, SCM should really offer gift cards. Mother's Day is not *that* far off. Maybe I will suggest that!

SCM artist portfolios

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 5:22pm | IP Logged Quote jawgee

SeaStar wrote:
You know, SCM should really offer gift cards. Mother's Day is not *that* far off. Maybe I will suggest that!

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 12:48pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Just thought I'd update....

I'm still brainstorming this, ladies! I went through my art files, purged things that weren't the *cream of the crop*, and saved what was nice. I do have some smaller prints I really want to save (things like small prints and postcards of Cassatt, Homer, Hudson River School, etc.). And I do have the larger 10 1/4" x 13" SCM folios, too. They don't fit in a regular size file, but all my others do.

So...while I'm pleased that I have freshened my files, I'm still torn about keeping everything together...and how.

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2014 at 3:26pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

I think files/envelopes contained in a magazine folder sorted by artist time periods would make a lot of sense. However, my SSC folders don't fit into my magazine folders. (by the way -- don't buy them for that price. I got them at $11 with free shipping. Still expensive but they are very sturdy).

I just have mine on a shelf in various envelopes, etc. in one area. I guess if I put a sticker on the very edge of the envelope, then I wouldn't have to pull it all the way off the shelf to see what it is...

So yeah... no solutions Jen!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 07 2014 at 3:42pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I'm thinking magazine files with the folders that have the tab on the short side and the the SCM on the shelf as Maryan describes. Either that or a small desktop hanging file that can sit on the shelf.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version