Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: Pinterest for planning! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
herdingkittens
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 25 2014 at 10:06am | IP Logged Quote herdingkittens

Well, it took me a while to check out Pinterest and what surprised me was what a GREAT planning tool it is for lessons! Thought I would share this in case anyone would find this helpful.... please forgive me if you get addicted to it!   

What I have been doing is making a board for each subject and then "pinning" project instructions, videos, websites, etc. that we plan on doing for a particular unit. You can put a date or week number in the comment box to organize them into time, or if it is something you want to do but don't have a date set for it, or want to do it in the future, you can just save that idea on your board for later use.

The beauty of this is the visual layout - it makes so much more sense to my brain to view things this way, and is WAY easier to navigate than putting links in "bookmarks"    which I rarely get back to and end up never getting used.

Another thing I really like is that my children can get on there and go to the links I have pinned if I am sick or unable to help. Since I am selecting the links, I know what they would be viewing and they don't need to be searching around. It would be cool to set up a board for websites or activities that they could access, too. I know my 11 year old would love a project board to keep all of her ideas in one place.   

Oh, and there are a lot of HSers on here who have posted ideas. You can search for subjects/lessons/ideas/plans/topics and some mother's may even have a board all set up for your particular curriculum that you can "follow" and use their links. Pretty cool stuff.

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 25 2014 at 1:58pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

It's a great planning tool, isn't it?

I like that all the ideas I like can be pinned on line so that I am not constantly writing them down on paper and then losing them!

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 15 2014 at 3:06pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

I resisted Pinterest for years. Now I'm hooked. I love this planning idea . . . more fodder for my addiction, and it might actually benefit us in some concrete way (what? my pinning two thousand pictures of handkerchief-hem tunics doesn't benefit my family in some concrete way? say it isn't so!).

Sally

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 17 2014 at 8:07am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

OK, this is great. I've started boards for all three of mine still at home. I love the visual -- that I can go in and SEE the book covers and other images, which jogs my memory . . . and there it all is, together. How many booklists have I written out and forgotten about over the years? Too many. I like that a board isn't a hard-and-fast booklist, just a collection of ideas. From there it's pretty easy to shuffle things into a schedule.

I've done year levels rather than discrete subjects -- I like the idea of a given child's being able to access his/her whole program, as needed, via his/her own board. Mostly I'd be the one doing the accessing, but if I need to point someone to a particular video or other resource, that's an easy way in.

And yes, I too have whole libraries of bookmarks that I've compiled and forgotten about. What this prompts me to do is to visit some of those bookmarks and see if I can pin them! I am very much an "out of sight, out of mind" person, so if I can keep them in my sightline, I'll be that much more likely to use them.

Sally

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 17 2014 at 9:42am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

I'm a Pinterest addict.   

here are my boards, wanna see yours :)

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

herdingkittens
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 17 2014 at 9:54am | IP Logged Quote herdingkittens

SallyT wrote:
OK, this is great. I've started boards for all three of mine still at home. I love the visual -- that I can go in and SEE the book covers and other images, which jogs my memory . . . and there it all is, together.

YES! I totally agree. I feel like I have been looking for something like this for a long time, and so glad someone created this format. I remember looking at Evernote for this purpose, and even though it may be a great program, still wasn't doing the trick - seemed clunky to me.

I like your idea for booklists, too... that would be a great thing for the kids to look through to explore the books and see if they are interested in them (book cover, description, etc.)

SallyT wrote:

And yes, I too have whole libraries of bookmarks that I've compiled and forgotten about. What this prompts me to do is to visit some of those bookmarks and see if I can pin them! I am very much an "out of sight, out of mind" person, so if I can keep them in my sightline, I'll be that much more likely to use them.

Hmm.... looks like I have more work to do.      

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 17 2014 at 10:41am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I love the visual for Pinterest, too. Much more intuitive for methan bookmarks.

I also love finding those things I neverknew I needed to plan for, like this.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

millermom1110
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 17 2014 at 1:20pm | IP Logged Quote millermom1110

CrunchyMom wrote:
I love the visual for Pinterest, too. Much more intuitive for methan bookmarks.

I also love finding those things I neverknew I needed to plan for, like this.

Back to Top View millermom1110's Profile Search for other posts by millermom1110

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 17 2014 at 1:29pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

I knew all those old binders were good for something. What nifty craft ideas don't you pick up on Pinterest?

Sally

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 15 2014 at 11:18am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

It's been spring break this week, and everyone in my house but the 16-year-old and me has been sick, so I've had LOTS of time to waste on Pinterest (instead of building my raised beds . . . sigh . . . is this really what God wanted me to do this week?? I tell myself it is . . . )

SO, I've done some subject boards: history, geography, science, art/picture study, German, Latin, math. Now I'm pondering how best to use the resources I've gathered. Obviously they're there for me to pull from when I need them, but I've also thought about scheduling in "Pin Time" for the various subjects, as a kind of rabbit-trail activity.

For example: my kids have always totally resisted timelines, books of centuries, and the like -- every year we start them, and every year it very quickly comes to seem not worth the continual negativity. But I'm wondering about the idea of letting a child romp through my history board, find something to focus on and explore, and printing out the image for a notebook. I've done period art, fashion, photographs (from the photography era, anyway), architecture, famous sites . . . currently working on arms and armor for a boy who would be attracted to *that* kind of history.

I thought a similar approach to geography would be fun as well. Both kids will have assigned CM reading, but one day a week, doing a "where in the world would you like to go" Pinterest game could be fun.

Anyway, here are my boards:

Art/Picture Study

German

History

Science/Nature

Latin

Math

Geography

Faith/Liturgical Year (a mix of stuff for homeschool, my FHC class, and my personal delectation)

I've also done boards for each of my kids, pinning ideas for next year:

Grade 5

Grade 6

Grade 11

Aaaaaaaand I have a buncha other boards, but those are the homeschool-related ones!

I'd love to hear more about what the rest of your are doing with your boards and your plans for/with them.

Sally

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 15 2014 at 11:24am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

Can I ask a stupid Pinterest questions? I don't have an account but I am thinking of opening a business one. Anyway, can you pin articles that are only "words" that aren't pictures? If so, how does it show up on a pin?

I hope that makes sense...and sorry of the OT questions.

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 15 2014 at 11:55am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

No, there has to be some kind of image attached. I'm thinking of converting my school schedules to .jpeg files so I can upload them -- you can't do just text.

Sally

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 15 2014 at 11:55am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

A look-book for your business would be a fantastic thing, Betsy!

Sally

eta: I see a lot of Etsy things pinned on Pinterest. It's a great way to do free advertising.

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 15 2014 at 8:48pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Thank you for sharing, Sally. I like this idea very much and just liked some of your stuff. Pinterest is addicting, though! Oh my.

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 17 2014 at 12:24am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Awesome boards, Sally.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 17 2014 at 5:37am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

SallyT wrote:
No, there has to be some kind of image attached. I'm thinking of converting my school schedules to .jpeg files so I can upload them -- you can't do just text.

Sally

Thanks for the quick reply this weekend Sally. Can I ask a a follow up question, then.   In your Latin grouping (what do you call this grouping, is it your board, no that the whole right?--remember I am still taking narcotics so that is my excuse for total ignorance )

You have a pin (right?) that is 50 Common Latin Phrases That Every College Student Should Know

When you click on the picture it takes you to an article with no picture. How did you pin that article???

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 17 2014 at 7:06am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Hm, no idea how the original pinner pinned it, or why. It was just there when I searched for "Latin."

That's where most of my pins came from: just searches I did. On my kids' planning boards, I did pin, for example, books from Amazon and other sources that I'm considering for next year. Many sites like that will have a button, so you can pin directly without having to copy and paste an address. There's some kind of button thing that you can get that will let you pin more quickly and easily, but I haven't figured it out. It's just as easy to me to copy and paste into the little "add pin" form.

Sally

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 17 2014 at 7:13am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

And yes, it is addicting. Can you tell I spent last week in total Pinterest overdrive? On my confessor's advice, I am now setting a timer for myself and willing myself to drop what I'm doing when the timer goes off, in obedience to and for the love of Christ. Seriously, I have to make myself pretend I'm a nun and the bell is ringing for some prayer office, even if formal prayer isn't what I'm going to do next. I also make judicious use of my "Self Control" app, although more than once I've locked myself out for 24 hours, then realized I'd planned on being able to access some recipe.

I plan to start using my subject boards immediately -- we're in those spring doldrums, and a lot of things have fallen through the cracks, so it seems an ideal time to do something refreshing and different. It's that rabbit-traily time of year . . . And I've pinned things from, for example, The Happy Scientist, to which I subscribed last month and which I then forgot all about. Maybe I'll remember to go there now!

Meanwhile, my 16-year-old likes to come look over my shoulder, and say in an ironic tone of voice, "My, how . . . *Pinteresting* . . . "

Yeah, yeah, Mr. Smarty. Remind me to make fun of your obsessions sometime.

:)

Sally

DianaC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 17 2014 at 8:06am | IP Logged Quote DianaC

Thank you all for the encouragement to try pinterest! I've signed in and have made some boards and pinned some fun and interesting ideas for school planning. This does seem to be a fun way to glean new iseas.
Back to Top View DianaC's Profile Search for other posts by DianaC

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 17 2014 at 12:46pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Betsy wrote:
Can I ask a a follow up question, then.   In your Latin grouping (what do you call this grouping, is it your board, no that the whole right?--remember I am still taking narcotics so that is my excuse for total ignorance )

You have a pin (right?) that is 50 Common Latin Phrases That Every College Student Should Know

When you click on the picture it takes you to an article with no picture. How did you pin that article???

I don't know for sure what is going on here, but the question piqued my curiosity and I'll take a stab at it. One possibility is that the OEBd blog where this article is posted had a picture associated with it at one time which they have deleted. If it is "captured" in the pin it would remain there even if the picture was deleted from original site, as long as the article was still there. But my other thought is that someone who pinned it from the OEBd site (or repinned it from Pinterest) did not like the image that was associated with it. (There is an image on the OEBd page - it is the logo for OEBd - and this is what would be associated with that article when originally pinned.)

This statue image looks like it is something someone created on their own in a photo program. You can upload pictures from your computer to Pinterest. So I think someone must have created an image they thought went better with the pinned article. They uploaded that image and then edited so that the link then went to the "50 Latin Phrases" article. I just played with a pin and was able to easily do something like that. By their (Pinterest's) copyright quidelines, I don't think you are supposed to do that - images and original links should match and correspond to each other, but that doesn't change the fact people can alter them. I can see the point for a really visual person having that Latin link pinned.

Visually:

is more appealing and visually descriptive than:

Then as Sally said - she just repinned what was already on Pinterest and that is what a lot of people are doing, but you can also find that same article pinned but the visual for it is the website logo not the ancient statue.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version