Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: Organizing My Kitchen Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 9:15am | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

Oh Ladies...I did it!! I am so excited to share my kitchen organizational blast!

I said my word for this year is ORGANIZING. What a victory for me, organizing is a big chore for me. What's funny is that the kids were actually sick while I did this...but just with colds. HA! This is one of the first times in YEARS that my kids had “just colds” and not it turn into something scary like two aerosol machines running at once two weeks straight. I post this more than anything to say to those mamas who are feeling down and so overwhelmed, “Hang in there!!" Your time is coming!!

More importantly, organizing is my way of trying to be a much better steward of our family’s money. I am appalled at how much I had to throw out from the pantry. It is a very deep shelved one that so much got shoved into the back, out of sight. No more! I have a much better handle on our food with menu planning now that it is all organized and labeled.

I’m in my mid forties and I finally get the label maker craze. I get it, Girls!! I want one!! I want yarn more....but I do want a label maker.

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 9:21am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

You Rock!

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 9:25am | IP Logged Quote Willa

How inspiring!

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 9:33am | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Inspirational! Great job!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 10:04am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I had a great time reading your post!! I just LOVE that you used EXACTLY what you had on hand and just got rolling!! Like your Mason jars - aren't those terribly thrilling to use in the pantry to organize flours and sugars and other things?? And your washi/sharpie combination is PERFECT!

This is such a large part of home-making! I used to observe how in older picture books, or in descriptions of older kitchens, the home-makers didn't have nearly the amount of "stuff" that we have today, but they kept things neat and tidy so they could use it when needed! And that was always such a cheery thought to me!! It's such an inspiring thing - to pare down to what's useful and make it as accessible and pretty as possible!

And, I think, too, that this goes such a long way toward choosing contentment, don't you? I'd love to hear your thoughts on that! I mean, my spaces aren't ideal at all. But, I can choose contentment with ease when I brainstorm, organize, and find ways to work and be purposeful in my space! It gives me a sense of satisfaction to claim frugality in that way, and it's cheery when I've worked so hard to make a space practical and pretty, too.

I'm your biggest fan and can't wait to be inspired by your enthusiasm as you tackle other areas!! Do share where you're headed next!!

WAY--TO--GO!!!!!         

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 10:59am | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

Mackfam wrote:
I had a great time reading your post!! I just LOVE that you used EXACTLY what you had on hand and just got rolling!! Like your Mason jars - aren't those terribly thrilling to use in the pantry to organize flours and sugars and other things?? And your washi/sharpie combination is PERFECT!

This is such a large part of home-making! I used to observe how in older picture books, or in descriptions of older kitchens, the home-makers didn't have nearly the amount of "stuff" that we have today, but they kept things neat and tidy so they could use it when needed! And that was always such a cheery thought to me!! It's such an inspiring thing - to pare down to what's useful and make it as accessible and pretty as possible!

And, I think, too, that this goes such a long way toward choosing contentment, don't you? I'd love to hear your thoughts on that! I mean, my spaces aren't ideal at all. But, I can choose contentment with ease when I brainstorm, organize, and find ways to work and be purposeful in my space! It gives me a sense of satisfaction to claim frugality in that way, and it's cheery when I've worked so hard to make a space practical and pretty, too.

I'm your biggest fan and can't wait to be inspired by your enthusiasm as you tackle other areas!! Do share where you're headed next!!

WAY--TO--GO!!!!!         

Thanks so much, Friends!!! Jen, you have hit the nail on the head....I had everything there but a few more clear bins that I bought on sale for $1. So, this cost so little to do, but has huge returns.

I thought of you, Jen, the entire time I did my spice area. Don’t you feel loved?? Seriously, though, I remember you talking and posting about your baking area, and something was planted way back in my brain, grouping spices and such by how you use them? What an Epiphany!! So...as I grouped and labeled my spices and pantry, I smiled, knowing I had done ya proud as one of my organizing mentors. Now about those label makers....

The kids have all been so excited and genuinely supportive. They have chosen my next area...the MUDROOM. I’ve heard from a few....”Mom, when are you going to organize the mudroom??” Sheesh, nothing like a little pressure. I have organized it actually several times, so I’m pulling out the stops, and gutting it again with my new organizer eyes wide open.

roomintheheart
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 11:13am | IP Logged Quote roomintheheart

That is awesome.

I need to organize our entry, but I've been trying and failing for years. We don't have a mud room or even a closet- you just walk right into the room. I have hooks on the wall and a nine-cube storage bin for shoes, but we still have everything strewn all over.
Back to Top View roomintheheart's Profile Search for other posts by roomintheheart

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 12:10pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

It looks great! I use canning jars for bulk spices (and then fill the small containers for use in the house).

Did you know that you can write with sharpie on glass.. and it can be scrubbed off later at need.

The other thing I find a sharpie marker is great for.. mark the canned goods.. sometimes it's really easy if you have older cans, even if you pull those forward for them to get mixed back up. I do builk buying once a year or so.. so I would mark the cans I bought the previous year (in the fall) with that year when I buy new stuff in the fall. It's not the use by date (though you can use that too) but it let's me know which to use first. Even just an X so that you know which are the older ones.

It helps so much instead of having to search for and read the tiny print for use by dates.. you can tell at a glance from across the room which to use first.. evenif newer ones get mixed in.. and you can tell a fairly young child which to get for you and have them be successful.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 1:11pm | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

roomintheheart wrote:
That is awesome.

I need to organize our entry, but I've been trying and failing for years. We don't have a mud room or even a closet- you just walk right into the room. I have hooks on the wall and a nine-cube storage bin for shoes, but we still have everything strewn all over.

Could you post a few pics and maybe we can brainstorm with you? The ladies on here are amazing with their ideas and help! You have probably already looked on Pinterest? I know how frustrating it is to have a high use area that isn’t working for you.

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 1:13pm | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

Jodie, I did NOT know that about sharpies!!! Well....Lily is six years old....I potentially have 12 years or more to get this “organizational stuff” together, eh?? I need to pace myself!

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 3:39pm | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

Roomintheheart....I was reading Farmer Boy to Lily today, and I was just wondering, how did they organize? Jen touched on this earlier, but for old farm houses with lots of kids coming in and out of a barn constantly, I wonder how they kept track of the coats, boots, shoes, etc? I bet they were constantly sweeping and training kids to hang up their coats, etc and surely shared your frustration at the unending parade of shoes and things needing tidying

Jen...wouldn’t it be fun to have a festival of blogs about “Organizing Your Nest?” We’ve done something like that in the past, yes?

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 4:33pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

Good job!! Organizing is good for the soul!    At least I think so. I literally could spend all my time organizing but me thinks not everyone around here feels the same way.   

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 4:38pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Oh I can organize all day... if I could just find someone interested in keeping it that way day in and day out.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 4:39pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

I so need to do this but we are planning a remodel so I'm waiting until it's time then I'm going to overhaul! I can't wait.

I'm a big fan of canning jars too! Just found the 1/2 gallon ones recently and they work great for flour, sugar, etc.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 4:39pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

JodieLyn wrote:
Oh I can organize all day... if I could just find someone interested in keeping it that way day in and day out.

I hear you Jodie!!!!!

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 5:16pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

So exciting! I am so happy for you!

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

3ringcircus
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 1:04am | IP Logged Quote 3ringcircus

Thanks for showing us your new system!

My label maker is cool, but I'd have a hard time prioritizing it over yarn too.

Back to Top View 3ringcircus's Profile Search for other posts by 3ringcircus

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 9:32am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

4 lads mom wrote:
They have chosen my next area...the MUDROOM. I’ve heard from a few....”Mom, when are you going to organize the mudroom??” Sheesh, nothing like a little pressure.

Another GREAT spot to work with! We don't have a mudroom....yet...we're seriously considering a massive addition to our home, and if we go forward, I'll end up with a GLORIOUSLY large mudroom!! BUT...until then, I'm content getting creative and working with what I've got to make spaces function as I would envision in a mudroom. So...I'd really love to see yours in action!

4ladsmom wrote:
I have organized it actually several times, so I’m pulling out the stops, and gutting it again with my new organizer eyes wide open.

Honestly, that's the KEY to organizing any space! It isn't coordinated bins, or wall-lined-shelving...or even that luscious label maker! Even though those things ARE nice...and can be super helpful! The KEY, in my opinion, is just looking at a space and the things in it with FRESH EYES! It's all about seeing spaces that have gotten sort of stale, that you've looked past, and that just don't work for the family any more. And then...envisioning how a space SHOULD work...how it COULD work. And getting creative with what you've got to make it happen! Thrilling...and satisfying!

Do keep us posted on your mudroom progress! I'd really love to see it!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 12:15pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

We have no mudroom- just a back door straight into our little kitchen, and the front door into the hallway. We have a hundred year home, and closets were not a priority    It is such a balance between hooks and hooks full of coats, backpacks etc. and some space for beauty. I am hoping as we finish our basement reno. to have some good coat and boot storage down there!

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 6:55pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version