Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: JennGM & Others: Light Box Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 3:12pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

OK, so in this thread,, JennGM mentioned getting a light box for Christmas.

I'd like to hear more about how people use light boxes. We have one -- it was my dad's, and I have no idea what he used it for, but it came home with us last year in a carload of stuff out of my mother's old house. And . . . here it sits.

So I'd love some ideas here. If you have a light box, what do you do with it? What don't you do with it that you could envision doing?

Enquiring minds, &c. Thanks!

Sally

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I only have the cheaper/simpler craft one. I use it for dry embossing mostly. I have also used it for various tracing projects thought the years, including forgery...

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 4:11pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Well, I first owned this easel set-up and have used it for my calligraphy.

I use it in different ways, but my main approach is setting up my lines and spacing on a grid or paper. Then I put another paper on top of that and have the light through it to do the writing. This means I don't have to redraw my lines every time I write something.

I've used this for addressing envelopes, writing out poems or prayers or psalms.

For my boys who are learning, they can put a paper over the prepared lines and practice their calligraphy, but also do their copywork. I have some plans for that.

I also use this for illumination or illustrations. I sketch it out and then put it on the light box so I can redraw and paint it.

Basically, it takes me a while to get a final draft of my calligraphy, so I like having the light box to save me time of redrawing.

I didn't like the ledge on my easel, so I wanted a smooth edge light box.

My other use, and I tried it out already yesterday, is for tracing sewing patterns. I know there are newer patterns that have several sizes and require tracing to create a usable pattern.

I buy vintage patterns, which are quite delicate, so I trace them with Sewable Swedish Tracing Paper (which is a little thinner than interfacing).

I just traced a 1930s pattern so easily.

Those are my initial uses...I know there are a few other uses that escape me right now, but if I remember I'll come back here.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 4:19pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JennGM wrote:

I buy vintage patterns, which are quite delicate, so I trace them with Sewable Swedish Tracing Paper (which is a little thinner than interfacing).

I just traced a 1930s pattern so easily.

Cool. Would love to hear more about this. Obviously the pattern size is bigger than the surface of the light box, so explain the process. Do you have to just move it around incrementally? You make it sound so easy yet I am not picturing it.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 4:24pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Yes, I did have to move it incrementally. I thought it would be harder, but it wasn't hard at all. I did pin the pattern to the tracing cloth.

If a post-heart surgery patient could do it without getting frustrated, it's not that hard.

The tracing paper comes in a roll, which makes it convenient.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

CSBasile
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 5:20pm | IP Logged Quote CSBasile

In the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd atrium, tracing on the light box is one of the favorite works for many of the children! We had simple hand drawn images of various items found in the church -- the pews, the tabernacle, the paten, etc. The children trace the images, color them and then compile little booklets. The booklets are a great take-along to keep young kids occupied during Mass.
Back to Top View CSBasile's Profile Search for other posts by CSBasile

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 8:48pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Great ideas! Thank you all so much for giving me things to think about.

And of course I'd love to hear more . . .

Sally

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 9:31pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

BTW, you can purchase a light box at Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon. I'm not sure about Michaels or AC Moore. My Dh bought mine at HL.

ETA: if you have the money, Artograph is a better brand because of the LED light because it is cooler.

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 10:31pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Good to know. Better put my inherited one to use, though! (I really would love to know why Dad bought it and what he did with it, but I guess I'll have to wait for heaven . . . :) )

Sally

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 09 2014 at 12:08am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Something else we have used a light box for is making paper doll clothes.

Our Domestic Church

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2014 at 8:37am | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

A light box is also useful for cutting pieces of stained glass for projects.

Aagot
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2014 at 9:43am | IP Logged Quote Aagot

Sally,
My dad used his to look at slides before placing them in the carosel of the projector.
Back to Top View Aagot's Profile Search for other posts by Aagot

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 09 2014 at 10:03am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
Something else we have used a light box for is making paper doll clothes.

Brilliant! I remember doing a Shakespearean project in Freshman year making Elizabethean clothing for Paper dolls. This would have been so useful!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 09 2014 at 10:06am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Servant2theKing wrote:
A light box is also useful for cutting pieces of stained glass for projects.

Do you do stained glass? I'm totally in awe and inspires. I have always wanted to that.

Another use is when we borrow a book from the library that has patterns (like sewing patterns, airplane folding, etc.) that we need to trace because we can't cut it out.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 09 2014 at 10:27am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Aagot wrote:
Sally,
My dad used his to look at slides before placing them in the carosel of the projector.

That is really useful -- my husband has lots of slides from his dad, and it would be helpful to reorganize them. They are in such a state!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 09 2014 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'm also thinking that organizing my negatives the light box would also be helpful!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version