Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Spore Prints Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 21 2006 at 10:10pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Our spore prints didn't come out.
I'm totally bummed.

Hopefully tomorrow we'll get a whole new set of mushrooms on the lawn and I'll have a fresh brain to read through Dawn's blog and see what she did differently.

I really thought we'd get lucky the first go round. Beginner's luck, ya know.    I should have known better. Science experiments never work for me...even the simplest idea.

Thanks for the great link, Leonie. That I can do.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 22 2006 at 3:11am | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

I am scared to try this. We have such a wide variety of mushrooms up here, but from what I understand, many of them are deadly. Aren't any of you worried about poisonous mushrooms? Am I just being paranoid?

Michelle
Back to Top View MichelleW's Profile Search for other posts by MichelleW

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 22 2006 at 4:32am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Leonie wrote:
I found these activities for a fungi theme here...

Leonie this is a great site! Thanks for the tip.

Cay Gibson wrote:
Hopefully tomorrow we'll get a whole new set of mushrooms on the lawn and I'll have a fresh brain to read through Dawn's blog and see what she did differently.

Cay, you can't imagine how many tries it took us to get these few prints!! And these were all from *one* cap! For us, the difference was finding mushrooms that had a true umbrella shaped cap. All the other kinds didn't come out - the spores just didn't "drop" the way these did, directly beneath the cap. I placed the cap on plain white copy paper and placed a small glass bowl over it and within an hour we had our first print! I just kept moving the cap around to make more.

For more instructions on spore prints (and where I got my inspiration!) check out Rebecca's post , Leonie's post, and Theresa's post.

I hope you get it to work, Cay! Let us know how it goes.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 22 2006 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

MichelleW wrote:
I am scared to try this. We have such a wide variety of mushrooms up here, but from what I understand, many of them are deadly. Aren't any of you worried about poisonous mushrooms? Am I just being paranoid?

Michelle

Michelle,
Every good mother is paranoid. You're in good company.

The key safety element here is to do the activity with your children.

I prefer to think of this activity as a good lesson in health and hygiene and safety. I cautioned the girls not to put their fingers near their mouth. We plucked the samples and placed them on a paper plate then went into the house and washed our hands.

I wouldn't send small children outside to do this on their own but, even when they're outside playing, we have the concern of them eating berries, petting a stray dog, and picking up stuff they shouldn't. So this really is a necessary lesson.

My youngest is 4 and she understood my caution. I'd probably allow a 3 yr old to do the activity too but any younger than that I'm afraid the hands-in-mouth is too common a temptation to avoid.

After putting the mushrooms on the paper, we washed our hands again. The children did check their samples during the day (only nothing happened ) and I just had to caution them to wash their hands each time...since I'm clueless about which (if any) are poisonious. I prefer to bend towards the side of caution anyway.

I don't want my dc to grow up with a fear of trying out new things so we venture out of our comfort zone.

Dawn,
Thanks for the info. We don't have any big, umbrella-style mushroom so our activity might have to wait awhile longer. We just had lots of little ones and fuzzy ones.   

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 22 2006 at 3:29pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Cay Gibson wrote:
Dawn,
Thanks for the info. We don't have any big, umbrella-style mushroom so our activity might have to wait awhile longer. We just had lots of little ones and fuzzy ones.   

Cay, ours were *tiny* - like the size of the tip of my thumb. I only had a few, and today they are gone. I think they sprout up with the rainy weather. Good luck!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version