Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: Grade 8 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 04 2013 at 10:29am | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Give me some midyear inspiration- I have a very bright wool-gathering grade 8 ds.

Anyone have a peak at their past or present grade 8 schedule/routine (I have been so inspired, even after 13 years and close to two graduates, by looking at Sally and Willa's plans for their younger kids!)

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 06 2013 at 10:37pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I'm on my second 8th grader this year, Kristie; a boy. Here are his plans:

8th grade booklist: 2013-12-06_223137_8th_grade_booklist_-_13_14.pdf

Term 1 Lesson Plans: 2013-12-06_223317_Term_1-8th-2014.pdf

Term 2 Lesson Plans: 2013-12-06_223443_Term_2-8th-2014.pdf

Bravewriter Plans for the year broken down by term: 2013-12-06_223612_Mark-Partner--_FaltOwner-Monthly_Writing_P rojects_Plan.pdf

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 07 2013 at 8:38am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

My first child skipped 8th grade to go into a high-school co-op class. Her 7th grade year was kind of a 7th/8th hybrid of Mater Amabilis Levels 3 and 4 -- I don't think I even have a record any more of what we did then!

My second child did this, basically. Here was the daily schedule I proposed, but I essentially just let him get on with it. I had a proposed reading list, but he also did a lot of reading on his own, particularly in science. His interest in biology was really taking off, and he bought and read, or checked out from the library and read, more titles than I have listed. That was also the year he grew a lot of mail-order bacteria in petri dishes stashed all over the house. I'm a little surprised we're not all dead (though he did insist that the e. coli was non-pathogenic).

In the second semester of 8th grade he started his Eagle project, which was to interview WWI veterans in our county for an oral history of their war experiences. A colleague of my husband's in the Belmont Abbey history department heard about it, got interested, and invited our son to sit in on a WWII course he was teaching that semester. So all of that because our history for the spring. It was a writing-intensive course, and Joel wrote all the papers, including a research paper, so I kind of let the One-Year Adventure Novel go by the wayside in favor of that.

I always think of 7th and 8th grades as so betwixt-and-between -- what the heck do you do with them, when they're not elementary students any more, but not really high-schoolers, either? It is a challenge. They're more mature, but not that much more mature . . . and so apt, often, to be scattered and unfocused. It's a real challenge. I find high-school a breeze by comparison.

Our son's 8th grade year was pretty fun, though -- initially we had envisioned it as a year to read about everything he hadn't had a chance to read about yet, especially in history (hence the Stories of China, Russia, and Japan, which he did really enjoy), before starting our whole formal cycle over in high school. He's also always been a current-events junkie -- I think that was the year he started reading the Al Jazeera live blogs of Middle East protests -- so that was an interesting complement to books of history ending in 1904. It was all very open-ended, but in hindsight, a really rich year. By the end of it, he was truly primed for high school work.

For my next two, we'll probably just more or less follow Mater Amabilis in those levels, at least as a template of coursework. I'm not sure I feel like reinventing the wheel again, and it's just hard to beat that program, even though I always end up doing lots of book substitutions.

If it's any consolation, everyone at my house is totally running out of gas right now, including me. I'm looking for a recharge, too!

Sally

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 07 2013 at 8:43am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

I do think the One-Year Adventure novel was the perfect 8th-grade writing program, even though he didn't finish writing the actual novel. Everything it taught him about pre-writing was invaluable, and he did flesh out several chapters, at least, from all the planning he'd done. It taught him a lot about literary analysis as well -- we had fun with Great Expectations as "adventure novel."

Sally

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 07 2013 at 8:53am | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Thanks! I find that too- it is an inbetween year. I don't want him to have the 'stress' of highschool but at the same time want him challenged in some areas. He is already doing highschool work in Latin, Math and Science, not to mention his great literature, but it is tempting to push him into the full highschool work load. Balance, always balance!

I will check out that adventure novel Sally!

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 07 2013 at 8:55am | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Love it Jen- nice and streamlined!

A Walk in the Woods

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version