Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Essay by Teen on Living Books Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 20 2006 at 11:16am | IP Logged Quote Chari

Here is Anne's last essay of the semester. It was her 4th perfect score. She amazes me.

Here is what her professer wrote on the paper:

"Ah, Anne, your writing talent leaves me speechless-you are richly gifted-brilliant, articulate insights throughout. Well, well, well done-I am sure you'll birth a family of living books! I'm eager to read the first!"

This was her professor's first introduction to the words: living books.

I am really proud of her. But, keep in mind, any of you comparing moms    ........this talent was a gift from God..........she is a natural..........and this has nothing to do with our homeschooling around here, except for the freedom she has had to pursue and polish the gift.

Grab a cup of tea and enjoy! My favorite right now is Celtic Breakfast by Choice........mmmmmmmm! Drinking the last drop now!

A Living Book

A library is one of my favorite places. I walk in, and my soul feels at home. From worn leather-bound classics, to glossy best-sellers, narrow books, large books, dull covers, shimmering covers, the shelves are filled. Each book has the potential to become a treasure, a friend, a teacher, a haven. We’ve all heard the expression “you can’t judge a book by its cover,” and the statement is sound. The cover of a book does not display the contents or the quality. However, while one cannot judge a book by its cover, one can – indeed one ought – to judge the pages between the cover. Not all books are created equally. According to Mac McMillan, “You are the same today that you’ll be five years from now except for two things: the people you meet and the books you read.” What manner of book is capable of such a profound effect on a person’s life? It is the best kind of book – a living book.

What is a living book? Though this has become a household phrase in literature-loving and homeschooling circles, many are unfamiliar with the term, and frequently raise their eyebrows when I describe a book as “living.” The expression is not a new one. It was first used in the nineteenth-century by Charlotte Mason, an English educator. Charlotte Mason wrote that the “mind feeds on ideas,” and that students ought to have a generous curriculum. Further, she felt that the desire of knowledge, or curiosity, was the primary instrument of education. How are “ideas” presented to children? How is their desire of knowledge satisfied? In her 1923 An Essay Towards a Philosophy of Education, Charlotte Mason says “The only vital method of educations appears to be that children should read worthy books, many worthy books.” She entitled these worthy manuscripts living books.

Now that we know where the term comes from, let us discover the qualities that make a book a living book. We all have an understanding of life, being alive ourselves, with oxygen-filled lungs and a beating heart. Beyond the technical sense of being alive, there are more philosophical feelings of being spiritually alive, or emotionally alive. Books do not breathe; they are not sentient. A book is an inanimate object. So how can we attribute a book with living characteristics? It is not the actual volume of paper we are speaking of; it is the way the book affects us, opens our minds, and lingers in our memory. I think the first qualification of a living book concerns the author; Faber, a character from Fahrenheit 451, says “The good writers touch life often” (Bradbury 83). A living book is written by someone who loves and takes particular interest in the topic. If the subject of the book comes alive in the mind of the author, that enthusiasm can be shared with the reader, no matter what level of interest the reader possesses. In Cay Gibson’s Literature Alive, she attributes Clay and Sally Clarkson with presenting these additional qualities that a living book might boast of:

Ageless-----story is appealing to both children and adults
               Timeless -----characters and themes transcend time and culture
               Living-----concepts and ideas touch the heart and mind
               Literary-----well-written with a natural flow
               Whole-----tells a complete story that is interesting and satisfying
                     Inspi ring--- --morally uplifting, providing literary models          &nbs p;         &nbs p;          Creative-----stimulates the imagination (2)

With these fabulous qualities, living books can be markedly different from other books, and they hold important positions in both reading for enjoyment and education. Concerning the first, reading material for entertainment, living books are the opposite of twaddle. Catherine Levison, in her book A Charlotte Mason Education says children (though this goes for adults as well) should learn to “deal directly with books.” Charlotte Mason wants them “exposed to the best in literature, poetry, music and art. She most definitely does not want them in what we call ‘dumbed-down’ books. She calls literature written down to the child’s level ‘twaddle’” (14). So if twaddle is material dumbed-down to the reader’s level, to a “pastepudding norm” (Bradbury 54), then living books raise the reader up, in both interest and comprehension skills. C.S. Lewis said, “A book which is enjoyed only by children is a bad children’s story. The good ones last. A book which is not worth reading at age 50 is not worth reading at age 10.” Living books are worth reading at any age.

Similarly, living books also have a contrasting contender in the realm of education – the textbook. “Living books, unlike the compressed compilations of textbooks, are laced with emotion, saturated with ideas, and they convey information as well. Use them in place of the stolidly presented information of the textbook.” Basically, while “books of pure fact and information have a place in education…they cannot be called literature, and therefore would not be considered living books”(97). These are the words of Karen Andreola, author of Charlotte Mason Companion. She further feels that “If we want the mind of a child to come alive, we feed him living ideas. Ideas reside in living books.” And though they are not often found in usual classrooms, living books reach children in ways most “typical” school books cannot (96). I have found this to be true. At the beginning of my homeschooling I used textbooks, and as we changed to living books, I had an ideal opportunity for experiencing the difference between the two. Most noticeable was the way living books aroused my attention and curiosity, while a textbook droning about the same topic, stifled my interest. The study of history is a good way to illustrate this common pattern.

It is amazing how many of my peers claim to hate history. My first reaction when people tell me of their aversion is inner astonishment. While stifling my bewilderment, I remember that between my view of history and their view, we are not talking about the same thing. “Well,” I say next, “what book are you reading right now?” More often than not, they answer with a historical fiction title, and affirm to enjoying the book, but do not associate it with learning history. Studying history, in their minds, concerns a sterile textbook, often watered down through repetition, stating the Who-What-Where-When-Why that is learned to pass the test, then happily forgotten. Historical Living Books, on the other hand, are often primary sources, memoirs, autobiographies, or novels written during the time period they portray. There are also recently written books, fiction and non-fiction, which accurately and interestingly capture the true spirit of the time they represent. Now, textbooks are not all bad, “but they contain facts. Just facts. Living books have lives, emotion…” (Levison 9). Nicole Paradis, a student in my English class, much prefers reading historical fiction to learning history and plain dates from a textbook. She
believes she attains a deeper sense of the time period, because the books entwine her in the story, making it “come alive.” “Dialogue,” she says, “plays a huge part in this.” She pointed out that in real life, we speak to each other and have conversations, as do characters in books, which makes the books something we can identify with more easily than the dry facts presented in a textbook with a paragraph of information. Living books enable readers to identify with characters from the past, and they give an overall feel for the time period. This, while making for a more interesting study, also contributes towards remembering the chronological information, and making it more meaningful. Honestly, which option will be remembered years after it is read, a paragraph in a textbook naming dates and important events of the French Revolution, or a reading of The Scarlet Pimpernel and A Tale of Two Cities? A textbook informs one that in 1620 the pilgrims landed in Plymouth, who died, who survived, and how they celebrated the first Thanksgiving. In a living book, one travels across the sea with them, feels the blessed relief of setting foot on land, starves with them, rejoices with them, and through imagination, lives the experience with the pilgrims in a much more memorable way.

While I used history as an example, it must be understood that there are many kinds of living books. They are not limited to one genre; they are not inseparably linked to one topic. Some parents “assume that only Dickens and Shakespeare are distinguishable enough to be labeled wholesome and living”(Gibson 71). This is quite inaccurate. There is a rich diversity among living books. Once I borrowed a book from the library – dull cover, dingy brown, un-enticing – about hair fashions through the centuries. Though misleading, the cover opened to display one of the most engaging books I’ve ever read. Most classics are living books, and many books written to be read for entertainment. In addition, there is an enormous array of living books available for education. Astronomy, grammar, music, languages, geography, art, the afore-mentioned history, and even my most dreaded topic – math – are represented by living books. Science is another learning field teeming with living books – from Behe’s A Biochemical Challenge to Evolution to Thoreau’s Walden, books with detailed descriptions of cells, to abstract, poetic nature-writing. When I was studying natural history in tenth grade, I had the joy of reading Rachel Carson, a twentieth-century naturalist, whose work certainly has a place among the ranks of living books. Likewise, when my family purchased a pair of hermit crabs, my mom decided to do a unit study on the tiny creatures. She borrowed picture books from the library, which happened to be so well written that all of us, from the rather dubious teenagers, to the toddler sat listening to her read about hermit crabs – facts presented in a truthful, but colorful way. Yes, even picture books can be living books. Finally, as strange as it may sound, there are how-to books growing in the living book garden. From pruning trees to building a gazebo, baking bread to sewing, I have encountered living books of how-to character. My brother, also, with hearty enthusiasm, will testify to the existence of how-to living books, his favorite topic being how to build a catapult!

Because of their wonderful qualities, their ability to outshine twaddle and textbooks, and their marvelous diversity, living books are to be read, treasured, and reread. Now, the term living book is not the name for a new, special kind of book. Rather, it is a name we can use to classify the best sort of books, whether they are already in existence, or books to come. A living book is a book that brings its topic, no matter what that may be, to life. Living books have captured the “aliveness” of the author’s mind, the accurate sense of the time period, and the true spirit of the subject. “They show the pores in the face of life… [These books] can go under the microscope. You’d find life under the glass, streaming past in infinite profusion” (Bradbury 83). Living books contain emotion. This does not necessarily mean they are biased, or have a personalized viewpoint. While stating mere facts, a living book is still a deep well of interest stemming from the author’s interest. Oh! It is nigh impossible to state all the glories of books that favor their subjects as living books do. Gladly will I join Gilbert Highet in saying, “These are not books, lumps of lifeless paper, but minds alive on the shelves….by taking down one of these volumes and opening it, one can call into range the voice of a man far distant in time and space, and hear him speaking to us, mind to mind, heart to heart.”

Works Cited

Andreola, Karen. Charlotte Mason Companion. USA: Charlotte Mason Research and
Supply Company, 1998.

Bradbury, Ray. Fahrenheit 451. New York: Ballentine Books, 1991.

Gibson, Cay. Literature Alive. Sulphur Louisiana: Wise Publications, 2003.

Highet, Gilbert. The Quote Garden. 29 April 2006. <http//
www.quotegarden.com/books.html>

Levison, Catherine. A Charlotte Mason Education. Beverly Hills: Champion Press, 1999.

McMillan, Mac. A Father’s Book of Wisdom. Ed. H. Jackson Brown Jr. Nashville,
Tennessee: Rutledge Hill Press, 1988.

Natal, Aimee. “Charlotte Mason.” Infed. 30 Jan. 2005. 1 May 2006.
<http//www.infed.org/thinkers/et-mason.htm>

Olsen, Terri Ann Berg. Learning for Life: Educational Words of Wisdom. 2005. 26 April
2006 < http://users.safeaccess.com/olsen/learningforlife6.html>
Paradis, Nicole. Personal Interview. 12 April 2006.

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 20 2006 at 11:20am | IP Logged Quote Chari

Oh, I forgot to mention: many of you can take credit for some of this essay............as both she and I have been influenced over the years by all of you!

With sincere gratitude,

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2006 at 3:12pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

Well done, Anne! Beautiful!

One day I'll be proudly saying, "I knew her when..."

jackiemomof7
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 20 2006 at 4:15pm | IP Logged Quote jackiemomof7

Wow!! Wow!!! and Wow!!!

My hat is off to her and her wonderful mom!

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2006 at 7:00pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Fantastic work!

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2006 at 8:36pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Absolutely beautiful.

And I particularly like the inclusion of her professor's comments. Like her teacher, I am eager to see what Anne publishes in the future.

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 21 2006 at 4:42am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Oh, what a nice way to begin my day, reading such a wonderful essay! Great job, Anne!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

ShawnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 21 2006 at 11:47am | IP Logged Quote ShawnaB

The rain is splattering the window, babies have just settled in for a rainy-morning nap, dh and older dc's have gone to church, the tea's brewing, and I'm printing Anne's essay. I can't think of a more lovely way to spend my moring alone !

ShawnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 21 2006 at 12:14pm | IP Logged Quote ShawnaB

What a delight!! Thank you Anne!

And I must add, as a newbie homeschooling mom, and newly introduced to Charlotte Mason and Living Books, despite a degree in Education from a university , this in one of the most inspiring and informative pieces on this subject I have ever read. I have read "Real Learning" and "Educating the Wholehearted Child", and "Literature Alive" and there is no doubt that these works have CHANGED and inspired me. However, your perspective, as a student fed on living books, is truly priceless.

I would love to see this essay posted as a "Sticky" under the "Living Literature" heading. I think is will be so valuable for homeschooling mothers, like myself, who are seeking a paradigm shift from traditional school-at-home to Real Learning with Living Books as the foundation.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 21 2006 at 1:11pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

This is truly a beautiful statement of Anne's writing and Chari's homeschooling! Just wonderful.

Thanks so much for sharing with us!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Cici
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 21 2006 at 2:34pm | IP Logged Quote Cici

Wow. This is beautiful.

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 21 2006 at 7:34pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Chari,
This is just beautiful!!!
Tell Anne I'm so proud of her.

Btw, did everyone see Anne's piece in the last issue of Heart and Mind?

Chari, you did get a copy didn't you?

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version