Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: When you are out of commission Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
3ringcircus
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 20 2013 at 11:06am | IP Logged Quote 3ringcircus

How do you handle schooling when you are not at 100% and it could be a long-term issue? I have a facial pain disorder (Trigeminal Neuralgia). So far it hasn't interfered w/ my teaching, but this week it has. It is very unpredictable so I need to fill in the gaps when I have a bad period. I know He wants me to have my boys at home and will help me, but some strategies would be helpful. What have you all done when a family member is hospitalized (not the student) or there's high-risk pregnancy, or an issue of elder care, etc?

We have some structure in the areas of math, LA, art and religious studies are unschool-y for science, social studies, and everything else. Currently I am working on gentle 2nd grade and K. My older one needs consistency in math and LA because he does not pay attention well enough to drop several days or weeks and catch up (sensory processing issues). TIA

Back to Top View 3ringcircus's Profile Search for other posts by 3ringcircus

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 20 2013 at 12:16pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Hi, Christine!

This may be a helpful thread to read.....some good ideas in there.....keeping little ones busy when mom is down

Also, Mackfam had a post on her blog awhile back that maybe you could glean from: Freshening. With the ever-important-list-of-questions....which she was asking AFTER survival-mode, but they can be adapted to help you brainstorm before/during survival mode to help you develop priorities.

I am in the process of adjusting here....we are finishing up our term (on week 10 of 12 here) and also coming into Advent, and I'm 31 weeks pregnant. I am REALLY slowing down and these last 2 months are horribly miserable for me....so we need to adjust expectations tremendously for about the next 2-3 months. Different from you, though......

You're situation is a bit different, since your survival-modes are unexpected and temporary. So, you'd have a "regular expectations" and "emergency expectations."

This is mostly for YOU, since your oldest is only 7 yo, right? Whereas, in my case, right now, since my girls are OLDER, I can expect more from them in terms of getting along by themselves.

Some random thoughts:

:: Keep in mind that your kids are very, very young. If seat-work needs to disappear for a small amount of time, that's TOTALLY FINE!

:: Focus on those habits/virtues first-of-all! Don't let this training slip to work on math or copywork. ESPECIALLY since this could be a long-term issue. This is SO IMPORTANT....I can't stress this enough. Virtues of sincerity, order and obedience are the primary ones at this stage. LOVE LOVE the book Raise Happy Children, Teach them Virtues

SuzanneG wrote:
   Raise Happy Children....Teach Them Virtues! I love this book a lot! I've read the first chapter many many times! It's so helpful. My husband and I are implementing "our version" of her Virtue Notebook. I just made up the 3-ring-binder and it's contents this weekend.

::Chapter 1: Your Child's Temperament and How to Work with it. Includes an exam-conscience for the different temperaments (she also has a little booklet with this same information). Tips on working with each child's temperament

::Chapter 2: The Stages of Development and how to teach the Virtues of obedience, sincerity and order. Discusses the stages of development b/w ages of 2-7. Study how the theological virtues, cardinal virtues, seven gifts of the holy spirit, and the fruits of the HS impact the souls of your children as well as their growth in the natural virtues. Discover why children in this age group must begin to develop specific virtues and how each virtue builds on the other virtues. Instructions are given as to how you can teach these virtues to children and teens.

::Chapter 3: How to Teach the Virtues of Fortitude, Perseverance, Patience, Industriousness, Responsibility, Justice, Generosity, Freedom and Charity
Development of age 8-12. How to teach each virtue as well as how to continue its growth into the teens.

::Chapter 4: How to Teach the Virtues of Responsibility, Justice, Generosity, Freedom, and Charity. Ages 8-12.
--------------------------------

**Cites lots of examples from the lives of the saints and their parents. I love this!
**Gives good things to "consider" when making family decisions.
**Pulls from other sources......David Isaacs, James Stenson,
**Talks about Children and Suffering, and Sacrifice
**Lots of "Additional Helps" at the end of each chapter.
**Charts, bulleted lists, and bolded text.

And, the last book is Raise Happy Children....Teach Them Joy! I do not have this one either, but I DEFINETELY plan on buying it in a couple years or so! I have a feeling it is another GOLD MINE for the teenage years.

Here is a link to all of Mary Ann Budnik's books, CDs, etc.

And, totally not meaning to overwhelm, but just wanted to emphasize how important this is at this stage, especially with your older kids....you are setting the stage for the next 10 years or more!

I don't have to work on these things nearly as purposefully with my younger ones, because they follow the older ones. So, you're front-loading, essentially, and it WILL pay off.

:: Just from what you said, since your older one tends to need more attention because of various factors, I would focus on that.   Let the K-age child priority slip a bit during survival-mode. Make sure there are things set up for him/her to "have-at-it" when they want to....writing, drawing, books, toys, puzzles....teaching them how to keep it tidy and put things back by themselves.

:: Invest in some educational DVDs and don't be afraid to use them!

:: Find some good audio resources.....library, on-line, etc....and teach your 2nd grader how to set them up, treat the CD's, get them going on the computer, etc.

:: Keep picture books fresh and rotating...this keeps them interested and wanting to browse the selection.

:: Brainstorm a list of things for kids to do AHEAD of time and put it somewhere where you have easy access. On those days, you can scan the list and give them a choice of 3 things, they choose. They do it. It eliminates a lot of brain-searching on your part. I have a list printed on a clipboard, hung on a wall. Big kids use it to think of something to do with the littles and I use it too.

:: Find a way to establish quiet time/ independent time, afternoon-time....whatever you want to call it. And, enforce it. If this isn't established already, this would DEF. be a priority for me. And, in your case, it's not for "mommy-down-time"...although that will probably be nice, since maybe your illness will fatigue you....but it's MAINLY so that your kids get used to being by themselves, being independent and getting along without you.....sometimes being productive, but sometimes not....maybe just being quiet and hanging out....in any case it's GREAT to have this habit in any household, but especially with many kids or during survival-modes.

:: Is your 2nd grade a reader??? If yes, they could have a short list of things to do independently...just a couple....that they can do without you. Even if it's not nec. things, you're getting them in the habit of becoming independent.

:: Think about getting a mother's helper, if possible....a tween or teenager. I did this at several times when my kids were younger and I wish I would have done it MORE! Do you have homeschoolers near you that you could explain the situation to....that have an older daughter....who could come last-minute? Or even on a regular basis to front-load for when you are down? It always seemed like "more work" at the time, but the payoffs were great and sometimes it requires a bit more, to "get the job done."

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

juliana147
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 23 2013 at 3:10pm | IP Logged Quote juliana147

Suzanne's advice is great! I'd only add one thing: don't forget educational games! At that age, games that teach geography or math skills can be very helpful. Keep some tucked away only for use on days when you are not feeling great.

Equate is a great math game, and good for a wide range of ages.

Back to Top View juliana147's Profile Search for other posts by juliana147

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 23 2013 at 3:38pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Christine,

Suzanne has such great advice. I have been operating in a "crisis mode" for some time, and it's going to continue for a bit longer.

The quiet time is crucial. If the child isn't taking naps I have gathered as much quiet materials for rotation so that I can have my much needed nap time.

For my older child, he is very independent, and I can send him with writing and reading in his room to continue school without me.

I snatch the times that I have energy to do the mom intensive work.

I have had to lower expectations, and my K gets less work right now with me, but I'm giving him more outside time and creative play time.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

3ringcircus
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 23 2013 at 7:24pm | IP Logged Quote 3ringcircus

Thank you for the ideas. I do love educational games! And, I think I could do more w/ quiet time when I feel better so that when I can't operate in regular mode, it's automatic for them.

Back to Top View 3ringcircus's Profile Search for other posts by 3ringcircus

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version