Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Just a vent Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
momtomany
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 20 2005 at 9:56am | IP Logged Quote momtomany

I was out yesterday, giving a talk about breastfeeding to a Baby Depot breakfast. I was asked to speak since I'm a La Leche league leader. After I was done, I wandered around the store. I just couldn't believe all the unneccesary "stuff" for babies!! I told my dh that if I had seen all that "stuff" before we had children, we would have thought that we couldn't afford one child, let alone our happy housefull! The $40.00 pillow to nurse your baby lying down with really put me over the edge!! A rolled receiving blanket does such a nice (and cheaper!) job of supporting the newborn's back in a sidelying position.
Just wanted to vent..............

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2005 at 1:04pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

I hear you!! I've always gasped at the elaborate nursuries I've seen in some of my friends's homes - my own room doesn't have that much stuff in it!!!! You're so right in that people get caught up in it all and they feel like they "can't afford" another baby!!!

I hope your breastfeeeding talk was well received!!

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2005 at 1:13pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

With my first two, I bought into the baby room with crib, bumpers, curtains, changing table, all matching and very cute. But what a hassle when the baby wakes in the night and wants to be comforted -- I ended up tripping over things, knocking into the motion senstive noise-makers, etc.   

For the last couple of lovelies, we have stream-lined until the last who was in bed with us, had a pack'n'play for naps and homemade baby blankets that are cozy, cuddly and heirloom quality! What a difference -- both in budget and coziness for baby.

I wish we could start a campaign to convince new parents that sleeping-in or whatever they call in when you have the baby in bed, is such a nurturing experience for all concerned and doesn't adversely impact anyone!

Thanks for allowing ME to vent.

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

momtomany
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2005 at 2:10pm | IP Logged Quote momtomany

I forgot to mention that all the nursery bedding sets were definitely either for a boy or a girl, no sets that would work for either gender. I asked the woman who worked there about that. She said that everyone knew what gender before the birth. I never knew mine. I always liked the happy suprise. Some of those sets were in the $300.00 range! It would be very expensive to have both boys and girls!!

I'm with you, bring the baby to bed with you! All you really need is mom and a loving family. And of course diapers and baby clothes. I found that whole scenerio disturbing and depressing. I would much rather have my gang than a perfect nursery for two children. I have to say that my favorite piece of baby equipment is the baby sling!!

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 23 2005 at 8:07pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

I, too, started with many of those silly baby "trappings" that we could ill-afford, and have since steadily trimmed down to baby in bed, port-o-crib for naps and pots and pans lids for toys (and hand-me-downs)! My sil, a new mother at 40, has a baby nursury that puts FAO Schwartz to shame, and not one, not two, not three, not four, but FIVE various child holding mechanisms in their family room alone(bouncy thing, bassinet, thing baby lies on and bats at things over head, vibrating sling thing and so on...) Meanwhile, I was trying to convince a new father I know that simplicity, and in-bed nursing is the way to go, and he said that when he proposed bring the baby to bed, their (male) pediatrician advised against it!!! (Wonder how many babies that pediatrician has nursed?) And NO wonder so many couples think they can only afford those 2.2 children---both financially and energy-wise.

As for knowing the sex of the baby beforehand, I'm with you. It's so exciting NOT knowing! However, nowdays they even specify the baby's sex on baby shower invitations. Deep sigh.   

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version