Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: noeo homeschool science Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 16 2006 at 7:41am | IP Logged Quote mary

i wonder if any of you have ever used noeo science? a friend of mine sent me the link. in the past, i have used sonlight's science suggestions but not their worksheets. this 'curriculum' is CM based, involves a science notebook and many of the books are same as those recommended by sonlight. they sell kits with science supplies for the experiments. something they do that i prefer to sonlight's science is that the week's reading actually goes with the weekly experiment!

i wonder if any of you have used this and/or if you'd take a look at it and see what you think. perhaps you know of something even better!?
Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2006 at 7:49am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Mary, I haven't used this but I am eager to hear opinions. A good friend of mine (with whom we coop) has suggested this curriculum as a group project. I've got a pretty full science plate right now, but I always like to hear about good resources.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Anne Marie M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 17 2006 at 7:35am | IP Logged Quote Anne Marie M

I saw it at a recent homeschool convention - it looked really good, and I would have been sorely tempted. . . except that I couldn't justify the expense since my youngest kids are almost out of the age range. (Not to mention the fact that we have lots of other science material waiting to be used!)

The books looked very good, overall - I think the science encyclopedia book had some pages I'd glue together - explicit anatomy drawings (my one frustration with Usborne science books); and I would preread the book on Galileo in the Physics II kit (I read the back cover and wondered at the book's take on his problems with the Church).

The experiments also looked really good!

Anne Marie in NM
Back to Top View Anne Marie M's Profile Search for other posts by Anne Marie M

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 17 2006 at 10:29pm | IP Logged Quote mary

any other opinions?

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2008 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Bumping this for more opinions if available??

Anne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 11 2008 at 9:28pm | IP Logged Quote Anne

We are using the biology now. We love it! With the range in ages of my children it has been perfect. I love the CM style and the living books. The experiment box is worth the $. They give you extra supplies for multiple kids and if you ever have a problem they will correct it quickly. I recieved my set in 2-3 days after ordering!!!! . I have been considering the Apologia science but for next year we will try Noeo Physics. Another HS friend told me it was the best so far. I hope this helps. I could say more just in a rush now. PM me and I can tell you more details.

Back to Top View Anne's Profile Search for other posts by Anne

JeniferS
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 15 2008 at 12:11am | IP Logged Quote JeniferS

We're also using the Biology 1 set from Noeo and I love it! The books that come with the series are great. My son loves reading about the real life scientists. I love how the activities and experiments tie into the all of the books, even the biographies (ie growing microbes & looking at yeast after reading about Louis Pasteur).

I've gone through the curriculum and reordered it to fit our lifestyle here in Arizona. We're going to study the desert now rather than later since it will be too hot to go out and explore the desert later!

I would highly recommend Noeo science...You really do get alot for your money! And the biology set is going to play so well into nature studies.
Back to Top View JeniferS's Profile Search for other posts by JeniferS Visit JeniferS's Homepage

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 15 2008 at 7:40am | IP Logged Quote mary

i used the chemistry I science later that fall (2006.) perhaps it was the fact that the subject was chemistry, or maybe it was because we had a new very colicky baby that year, or the ages of my boys (8 and 6,) but we did not care for it.   

most of the books were quite good. the true science books were very dry and too long for my boys and they were the majority of the books in the program. we quickly fell behind in reading them and that pretty much never happens.

you are supposed to keep a notebook and this was too much for my kids.   perhaps older children would love this. initially, this is what drew me to the program, but it was the worst part of it for my boys.

the experiments were good, but there were too few (5 of them) and they didn't occur until pretty late in the year. by that time, we had had enough of the books and given up on the science notebook.

i just asked my boys what they remember (experiments, books, etc) and they remember the book about plastic. that's it.

dawn, my boys are heavy into nature. we have read all of the burgess books and most every book suggested in pocketful of pinecones (what a fabulous resource!) we are currently doing sonlight's core 3 science and it's much better for us.

sorry to be the wet blanket on this!

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 15 2008 at 7:47am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

We have Chemistry I and Chemistry II - I cannot write now as the baby needs to nurse - in a nutshell I think it is better than Sonlight - the books are great, nice to have the experiments all handy. But with multiple children it was too much to keep the notebook. My boys did not like all the writing. But we are doing bits at a time out of sequence - eg we did the geology bits for our unit study.

It is a great program with great customer service behind it - the problem is me - I do not make science a priority and I feel it is one of the things I spent way too much money on.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

JeniferS
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 15 2008 at 8:20am | IP Logged Quote JeniferS

mary wrote:

sorry to be the wet blanket on this!

Mary, you're not a wet blanket! Every child & family is different. I'm not really doing the notebooking exactly like the Noeo people tell us to do. When we did weather, my son made a lapbook. Now, I am just doing narration for the notebook. I'll type it all up and put it together soon. LOL
Back to Top View JeniferS's Profile Search for other posts by JeniferS Visit JeniferS's Homepage

amarytbc
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 15 2008 at 1:32pm | IP Logged Quote amarytbc

We have Chemistry II. It's listed for 9-12 yo, but I tried it with a 10 yo child who is very good at science, math and logica and it was a struggle. It's a good program, but for chemistry at least, the ages are misleading. It covers material on a deeper level than is found in the Chemistry section of Rainbow Science or in another 8th grade general science textbook that we use as a reference. We'll be using it in 7th.
Back to Top View amarytbc's Profile Search for other posts by amarytbc

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 15 2008 at 1:57pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Thank you all for your insight. I am contemplating the Physics study for next year (my older two will be grades 4 and 8), but meanwhile, a friend and I are organizing a little chemistry coop with our kids this semester ... She had mentioned this resource, but I think we should do well with what we have, which is Christian Kids Explore Chemistry. We plan to do lessons at home and get together for experiments.

JoBeth in OH
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 20 2008 at 6:13pm | IP Logged Quote JoBeth in OH

I'm a Sonlight gal, too, and I use Noeo. We currently use the Physics I program with our 6yo ds. We like the living books chosen, and the notebooking is just right for us. Ds narrates, and I copy down what he says. Most days he asks to draw a picture of what we talked about. His drawing of Einstein's hair is priceless!    

We save the experiments for the evenings with Daddy (a mechanical engineer, so he doesn't want to miss out on the fun!) We usually do several days' worth and make a night of it. Dh especially likes the sheets for the experiments. He is thrilled to introduce and use the scientific formula at this stage; we wish we had been taught this way!
Back to Top View JoBeth in OH's Profile Search for other posts by JoBeth in OH

TracyFD
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 28 2008 at 1:58pm | IP Logged Quote TracyFD

Bringing this topic up again here --

I am looking for a science program for the fall - grades K, 1 and 3. I'm considering Noeo Biology or the WinterPromise The World Around Me.

Anyone able to make a comparison?

Pinewood Castle
Back to Top View TracyFD's Profile Search for other posts by TracyFD Visit TracyFD's Homepage

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2008 at 2:33pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

I can't compare them Tracy, sorry.

Last night I ordered Biology 1 and 2 for next year. I also ordered WP Sea & Sky. I don't know anything about WP World Around Me.

We tried Chemistry the first year Noeo came out and we flaked out on it. I think I will hook them with Biology and try Chem next year.

margot helene
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 12 2008 at 8:23am | IP Logged Quote margot helene

revisiting this . . . .

I'm considering using the Physics II with a co-op group of 10 children ranging in ages 6-8 grade. I know it says it's for 4-6, but do those of you who have tried it think that it would be interesting enough or challenging enough for that age? Anyone preview that Gallileo book. I'd probably read it myself over the summer.

Also, has anyone ever done level 1 and 2 within the same subject at the same time with multiple ages in the family. Does that make sense? You know, the younger kids do level 1 physics, while the older ones do level 2 physics. Does it coincide well? (their website says the topics don't line up week to week, but there must be some similarity in concept)
Thanks
Margot
Back to Top View margot helene's Profile Search for other posts by margot helene Visit margot helene's Homepage

margot helene
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 30 2008 at 8:36am | IP Logged Quote margot helene

bumping this up hoping for input!! Anyone have experience with this?

Rachel, did it work out for you to buy the 4-6 grade unit and the younger kid books?

I am agonizing over this decision
margot
Back to Top View margot helene's Profile Search for other posts by margot helene Visit margot helene's Homepage

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 30 2008 at 11:47am | IP Logged Quote folklaur

I got the Chem 2 set for this year. We haven't started yet, but I like the books and I like the layout. I am looking forward to it.

The reason I went with Chem 2 and not Chem 1 was because I looked at the Young Scientist Experiments and we liked the Chem 2 ones better (what I am trying to say is, I think Chem 1 would have been sufficiently challenging, we just liked components of 2 better.)

I didn't order the whole set from Noeo. I ordered parts from there, some from Amazon, and then I got the young Scientist kits from Rainbow Resource. From Noeo, and most other places, you pay 10.99-11.99 per kit so it is $54.95 off the NOEO site for the six kits you need - but Rainbow sells packs of three kits for $19.95, so I got nine kits $59.85. So, yes, by buying from Rainbow I got a few experiments that are not listed in the Syllabus, but - extra science experiments are never a bad thing around here, the Young Scienctist sets are good, and I think it was a better deal.

My dd6 and ds9 will be doing this. I will have them do the notebooks, but dd6 will not be expected to dictate unless she wants to, I will just have her draw pics. (Chances are, however, that she will want to.)

I am quite pleased with what I see. I really had a hard time deciding between this and SL Sci 4, but we will do that next year, I think.
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 30 2008 at 12:48pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Margot, I haven't started using it yet. Soon...

margot helene wrote:
Anyone preview that Gallileo book. I'd probably read it myself over the summer.

I started it but didn't get all the way into the chuch part. I think it would be an excellent spot to discuss historical bias and the other side of the story. I feel like I don't know the "other side" well enough so I'm glad I have time to prepare.

Quote:
Also, has anyone ever done level 1 and 2 within the same subject at the same time with multiple ages in the family. Does that make sense? You know, the younger kids do level 1 physics, while the older ones do level 2 physics. Does it coincide well? (their website says the topics don't line up week to week, but there must be some similarity in concept)

I thought of doing that, but got overwhelmed. We are currently planning to do the reading as scheduled and then on our "Art and Science" week that we do every 8 weeks do the experiments.

I thought of buying or checking out the little kid books too and I want to try that still. However, I still wanted more and better books, so I plan on hitting MacBeth's Opinion or Theresa's blog for more ideas. I've also been checking out the 15min Way Things Work DVDs from the library.   

margot helene
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 05 2008 at 9:04am | IP Logged Quote margot helene

Rachel May wrote:

I've also been checking out the 15min Way Things Work DVDs from the library.   

Whoa - I never heard of these !!! That sounds great! I'll have to search for them. Can you tell me who puts them out?
Thanks
margot

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version