Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Ascension Thursday Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 28 2006 at 6:13pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Sorry for the double posting...but I've been thinking of the foods for Ascension. I know birds of some type are traditional for Pentecost, but it seems they are appropriate for Ascension, too....the ascending/flying aspect? What do you think?

Of course, one could also make light-as-air-fluffy-biscuits. But without use of white flour in this house, it doesn't quite work.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2006 at 6:39pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Well, I thought of "clouds" which either brings to mind meringue or whipped cream and those won't work for you either.

The field trip was fantastic. The weather was beautiful. It was a good experience to watch the balloons ascending "into the clouds" and be reminded of the 7 Gifts of the Spirit with Pentecost coming up next Sunday. I'm so glad Mary thought of this idea and brought it to fruition.

We're talking about more such field trips, about which I think I'll start another thread, to tie in some aspect of a feast or season with a hands-on experience. I'll be working on a visit to the botanical gardens for the Assumption, with a focus on herbs and Marian plants.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 28 2006 at 7:19pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

momwise wrote:
Well, I thought of "clouds" which either brings to mind meringue or whipped cream and those won't work for you either.

Yes, those came to mind. I just served chicken.

momwise wrote:
The field trip was fantastic. The weather was beautiful. It was a good experience to watch the balloons ascending "into the clouds" and be reminded of the 7 Gifts of the Spirit with Pentecost coming up next Sunday. I'm so glad Mary thought of this idea and brought it to fruition.

We're talking about more such field trips, about which I think I'll start another thread, to tie in some aspect of a feast or season with a hands-on experience. I'll be working on a visit to the botanical gardens for the Assumption, with a focus on herbs and Marian plants.

Looking forward to the thoughts....LOVE it already.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 28 2006 at 7:53pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JennGM wrote:
Sorry for the double posting...but I've been thinking of the foods for Ascension. I know birds of some type are traditional for Pentecost, but it seems they are appropriate for Ascension, too....the ascending/flying aspect? What do you think?

From Fr. Weiser's, The Easter Book:
"It was a widespread custom in many parts of Europe during the Middle Ages to eat a bird on Ascension Day, because Christ "flew" to heaven. Pigeons, pheasants, partridges, and even crows, graced the dinner tables. In western Germany bakers and innkeepers gave their customers pieces of pastry made in the shapes of various birds."

Bird foods sound very appropriate for the Ascension feast (in addition to Pentecost).

I'd say chicken was a preferable choice over crow for your dinner, Jenn.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 28 2006 at 8:01pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
From Fr. Weiser's, The Easter Book:
"It was a widespread custom in many parts of Europe during the Middle Ages to eat a bird on Ascension Day, because Christ "flew" to heaven. Pigeons, pheasants, partridges, and even crows, graced the dinner tables. In western Germany bakers and innkeepers gave their customers pieces of pastry made in the shapes of various birds."

Bird foods sound very appropriate for the Ascension feast (in addition to Pentecost).

I'd say chicken was a preferable choice over crow for your dinner, Jenn.

I'm getting a little ditzy this week. I was sure that passage applied to Pentecost. So I was more traditional than I thought!

Someone is shooting off fireworks nearby. That fits quite nicely to the day.

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2006 at 8:20pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

momwise wrote:

Oh, Gwen, this all sounds lovely! I will be eager to hear more!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version