Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Language Arts Come Alive
 4Real Forums : Language Arts Come Alive
Subject Topic: Books for reluctant reader Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
*Lindsey*
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 21 2013 at 9:08pm | IP Logged Quote *Lindsey*

DD is 7.5 and is finishing up second grade. She is pretty lukewarm when it comes to reading. She likes to read to me (Little Bear, Frog and Toad, Fancy Nancy, Henry and Mudge...)

We also have the Seton readers and she likes those.

She says she wants to read chapter books like DS, but everytime I give her one to try she melts down, crying, saying she hates reading and it's too hard. I think the amount of words on the page overwhelm her and she just shuts down.

I would like to find some books she can read over the summer, preferably on her own, but will continue to have her read to me for the extra help with words she doesn't know.

Booksnbabes
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 21 2013 at 10:01pm | IP Logged Quote Booksnbabes

We like Kate DiCamillo's Mercy Watson books here. They are short chapters and my early readers have enjoyed them.

Magic Treehouse books have also been popular here, though I can't stand them.   

Charlotte's Web?

Billy and Blaze?

Little House chapter books (may inspire her to try the full versions)

The Magic School Bus chapter books?

Ds age 6 is into the Childhood of Famous Americans books, they have been surprisingly popular here.

Does she have a particular interest? Ds was lukewarm about reading until he decided about a month ago, completely on his own, that he wanted to read The Tale of Despereaux because the main character is a mouse and he loves mice. We went from reading being an assignment to having to pull him away from the book! And he has become a regular bookworm since then. I would never have thought he would be reading at that level, especially since the less difficult chapter books I had been strewing for him were largely ignored.

The James Herriot Treasury for Children is not a true chapter book, but might be of interest and might inspire confidence in being able to tackle a big book.

The Boxcar Children books are favorites here, and easy reads.

Dd is a fan of the American Girl books--Kirsten is her favorite, and we have steered away from the newer ones.

I like it when they get hooked on a series, it generally means they will want to continue reading!   

Sorry for the disjointed response. I did not get to write it in one sitting.   

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 22 2013 at 1:21am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

For my youngest, it was always helpful to find an edition of a book with larger print and many, many pictures. It was not so much the text itself that was/is overwhelming, but the amount and size of text on one page. As if she didn't have the confidence in herself and the endurance to tackle a whole page of "tiny" printed text.

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 22 2013 at 5:21am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

I agree with Ann about the larger print.
Since we are talking about your daughter, how about the Betsy Tacy series? My dd fell in love with these and really took off on her reading as a result. I read the first one to her but then told her she would have to read the rest on her own.

I know some people don't like series but the same stragegy has worked with my sons. I find a series and get them hooked. I'm always willing to help them, of course, but I think when they want to read the next book in the series that's half the battle.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

greengables
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 23 2013 at 8:31am | IP Logged Quote greengables

I thought of a favorite here for the young reader, "A Lion to Guard Us" by Clyde Robert Bulla is a wonderful short chapter book!

Emmanuel Books lists this as a 1st grade book. MODG lists this in 4th grade. I personally think all ages will enjoy it, but I would put it into the 1st grade category.

God bless,

Jill

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 23 2013 at 3:14pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

I love Clyde Robert Bulla for reluctant readers, small enough to not be too intimidating but meaty, not twaddle

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 23 2013 at 8:09pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

Nate the Great series (might be considered "twaddle" but should be easy enough to read and considered a chapter book series)

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 24 2013 at 7:04am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Adding to Lindsey's request. My reluctant reader is also a girl but older, 9. Oh when oh when will she catch the reading bug. Unlike Lindsey's girl I can't even say my dd wants to read, mama is pushing this train.

St Ann wrote:
For my youngest, it was always helpful to find an edition of a book with larger print and many, many pictures. It was not so much the text itself that was/is overwhelming, but the amount and size of text on one page. As if she didn't have the confidence in herself and the endurance to tackle a whole page of "tiny" printed text.

I know my dd can read, but she doesn't believe she can, she can read Milly Molly Mandy but would prefer to read far easier books (her choice, she'd prefer to read nothing)
Today she read an old Ladybird Reader Level 2, Hansel and Gretel, I think she likes stories with people, not animals. She also read another early reader that was very humorous, Henry's Awful Mistake.

So I'm searching for early readers that don't look intimidating, ones with big print, and preferably people stories or humorous books.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

StephanieA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 24 2013 at 7:50am | IP Logged Quote StephanieA

I have a dyslexic, terribly reluctant reader, but she loves Mr. Putters by Cynthia Rylant. The books are intelligently written but are SO funny! I couldn't get her interested much in anything else, but "Mr. Putter and his fine cat, Tabby" are super readers. Funny, large print, and well, I have enjoyed the stories again and again. Now that's saying a lot for an early reader series!

Blessings,
Stephanie
Back to Top View StephanieA's Profile Search for other posts by StephanieA

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 6:07pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Booksnbabes wrote:
We like Kate DiCamillo's Mercy Watson books here. They are short chapters and my early readers have enjoyed them.

Booksnbabes
Just wanted to say a huge thank you to you Thanks for recommending these books. Our library had a couple and I can see I might buy a few for Christmas.

The text is large and spaced out, not intimidating at all and the pics are bright and funny. And the story plot is so ludicrous it is humorous. Dd is loving them

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 25 2014 at 2:08pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Wanting to add to this list a few we've recently found for this stage. All have large print on the page and most large pictures too, encouraging your new reader to keep reading and slowly make that transition to chapter books.

Bink & Gollie and Bink & Gollie: Two for One both by Kate Di Camillo and humorous.
Frog and Toad are Friends and all it's sequels
The Kid Cowboy series
Billie B Brown (more for girls)
Hey Jack to appeal to the boys too by the same author
Ella & Olivia by Yvette Poshgolian (more for the girls) Twaddle but keeps em reading

ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2014 at 3:27pm | IP Logged Quote ekbell

Artie and the Princess by Marjorie Torrey is a sweet book with short chapters and lots of pictures.   CHC sells it as one of their second grade readers but the book itself is just a storybook.

My younger children like using the Art-Literature readers for their primary reading (basically I assign a selection from the reader if they don't have something else they want to read).   The mix of biography, stories and poetry seems to suit them.
Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version