Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: "New" Narrative American History! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 29 2013 at 1:31pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I just took a look at the Beautiful Feet website, and it looks like they will be releasing a new title, A Child's First Book of American History. I searched for it on Amazon and found the original title The Rainbow Book of American History.

Forgive me if this title has been discussed before (though it is good news that it should be making its way back into print!), but I was tickled. I've been doing some planning, and all the "classic" history books written in narrative style (like This Country of Ours or American History Stories, which we've used) that are frequently used by homeschool advocates of living history books seem to have been written at the turn of the century, meaning, they stop there. This book goes through the dropping of the atomic bomb at the end of WWII!

I went ahead and ordered the used copy I found of the original since it was a bit cheaper and it looks promising.

Just thought I would share!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 29 2013 at 1:50pm | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

That sounds great! I will have to keep it in mind. What grades would you say it would work best for? The 3rd grade and under crowd? 4-6? Middle or high school?

Wife to a great guy, mom to two boys ('04, '06) and three girls ('08, '10, '12!)

I blog at http://kristacecilia.wordpress.com/
Back to Top View kristacecilia's Profile Search for other posts by kristacecilia

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 29 2013 at 2:09pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I haven't seen it yet. After looking around at reviews and discussions of the original, though, it doesn't look to be quite as comprehensive as a stand alone book as TCOO, etc... But, I think I might still use it for post Civil War studies down the road. There just isn't much out there for elementary age to cover the Industrial Revolution, Immigration, WWI and WWII, Great Depression, etc... in a linear way.

I changed my mind about ordering it right away though. I think I will hold off until I can at least view a preview of the Table of Contents and style.

Waterlily
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 08 2014 at 5:04pm | IP Logged Quote Waterlily

Lindsay,
I'd be interested in knowing if you ended up buying this book and what you thought of it. Thanks!
Back to Top View Waterlily's Profile Search for other posts by Waterlily

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 08 2014 at 5:25pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I have not. It is on the table for this year or next, but I still hagen't seen it. It really looks like a book my boys would enjoy on their own, but it is spendy for that!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version