Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Eric Carle ideas Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 17 2005 at 2:46pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Hello,
I want to plan to do something with Eric Carle books for maybe two weeks after Easter and I'm looking for ideas of what has worked for you. I thought we'd study butterflies a bit the first week. The second week my husband is on vacation and we're going to visit a butterfly conservatory one day and the Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art another day. I'd like to use the Klutz collage idea that I got from Real Learning. Any other suggestions?
Thanks.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: March 17 2005 at 8:35pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Dear Cheryl,
You're in luck! Under the thread "Lapbook Ideas" on this board, I promised to plan a unit on insects/Eric Carle, from begining to end, after Easter. I'll post a few things here (since you've already got the subject line begun), probably this weekend. It will be fun to brainstorm together!

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 17 2005 at 10:08pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Dear Elizabeth,
I just read the "Lapbook Ideas" posts and I'm so excited. I wasn't planning on trying lapbooking until my kids get older, but now the Eric Carle/insects unit seems like a good place to start. I look forward to seeing everyone's ideas.
Thanks,

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

Victoria in AZ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2005 at 2:58pm | IP Logged Quote Victoria in AZ

There's a video about Eric Carle that usually makes kids want to dig in and do their own tissue paper collages. The video is named: Eric Carle, Picture writer. Summary: Eric invites you into his own studio where he reads from three of his most popular books and shows how, step by step, he prepares his colorful tisue papers and creates brilliant collage pictures.

Enjoy!

Back to Top View Victoria in AZ's Profile Search for other posts by Victoria in AZ

Beth in MD
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 04 2005 at 11:24pm | IP Logged Quote Beth in MD

We started a term on Eric Carle / insects and animals today. I looked around for the after-Easter posts, but haven't seen any. Am I looking in the wrong place? I'd love to be included with all of you! We've never done lapbooks before. We began the Holy Week ones, but they kind of fizzled out.

Today, we read the Very Hungry Caterpillar, talked about the life cycle of the butterfly (I've bookmarked several websites for the kids to view), and they made caterpillars out of modeling clay. (Well, one made a Very Busy Spider but it's pretty awesome!) They also made pictures with the Klutz Collage book. We read a chapter of Flora and Tiger, Eric Carle's autobiography.

My younger ones are also reading Waiting for Wings by Lois Ehlert this week. She also uses collage, so it's nice to compare.

I also have recipes for caterpillar snacks and a caterpillar cake, as well as other craft ideas I found online. I'm also thinking of having them fix a "Saturday" meal like the caterpillar ate. Don't want any stomachaches though!

We'll be listening to Madame Butterfly this week.

We're reading Cricket in Times Square.

For Science, we're going to design a butterfly garden.

We're also studying World War II -- just by coincidence, I didn't realize there was a connection with Eric Carle, but as usual, things just seem to fall into place...

Anyhow, that's most of our ideas for this week. I think we'll be moving on to the Grouchy Ladybug next week. Anyone else?

Beth in MD

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2005 at 9:36am | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Hi,
I just noticed your post Beth. Thanks for sharing your ideas. We did The Very Hungry Caterpillar two weeks ago. My kids especially liked acting it out (their idea) with blankets for cocoons and wings. Then my husband was on vacation, so the only bug-related thing we did was visit a butterfly conservatory near us. That was very cool. Some butterflies landed on us. Everyone enjoyed it.
This week we're reading about ladybugs and beetles. (The Grouchy Ladybug and Very Clumsy Click Beetle) We watched the Eric Carle Picture Writer video thanks to Victoria's suggestion. I think I enjoyed it more than the kids. I want to paint some tissue paper and make a collage. Does anyone know how he adheres the tissue paper to a page? Today my kids (six and under) had fun with the Discovery Toys Busy Bugs Learning Set I borrowed from a friend. I also found a video at the library that my dd 2 loves. It's called Five Little Ladybugs and the author of the Beginner's Bible is in it-Karyn Henley? (I'm nursing right now) I thought it was about ladybugs but it's about God. We've been doing activities from a Bug-Themed Teacher's guide, but I don't know if I like them. I think I rather simpler ideas such as in the FIAR books. We made some ladybug clocks yesterday that probably took us an hour total. We went outside while the paint was drying and finished them after dinner. The kids said they liked making them, but I had to do a lot of the work.
One last idea -I enjoyed doing this with my ds 6- we looked through the Usborne Big Bug Search (using the index) for caterpillars and butterflies. This week we'll look for beetles.
I plan on doing crickets and fireflies next week, bees and ants the following week and spiders the last week. We've also been reading other Eric Carle books (my sister-in-law let me borrow a pile of them.) I hope that my kids will really enjoy his art when we go to the museum here in MA.

Katie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 12 2005 at 12:02pm | IP Logged Quote Katie

I would love to tag along with this unit, too. I already own Carle's Hungry Caterpillar and Grouchy Ladybug. What other books and resources will make up the spine of the unit? I have homeschooling dollars available...Amazon, here I come but an order takes about 3 weeks to get to me, so I have to plan in advance. Thanks for the ideas.

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 12 2005 at 1:00pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Dear Beth and all,
We're a little slow getting started--we've been sidelined by illness and our school time has been given over to studying the Pope. But we haven't forgotten! Kim and I talked this weekend and we'll start getting some things on paper for you in the very near future. Then we can all brainstorm together.

Cheryl, we have used liquid starch mixed with water to get tissue paper to stick.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

TradCathMom
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 12 2005 at 1:25pm | IP Logged Quote TradCathMom

Elizabeth wrote:
Dear Beth and all,
We're a little slow getting started--we've been sidelined by illness and our school time has been given over to studying the Pope. But we haven't forgotten! Kim and I talked this weekend and we'll start getting some things on paper for you in the very near future. Then we can all brainstorm together.

Cheryl, we have used liquid starch mixed with water to get tissue paper to stick.

No rush we'll greatly appreciate whatever you come up with at any time! We too have been side-tracked with some sickies and of course the Holy Father.

Julie's stuff
Trinity Acres
JMJ * AMDG
Back to Top View TradCathMom's Profile Search for other posts by TradCathMom Visit TradCathMom's Homepage

Beth in MD
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 17 2005 at 2:32pm | IP Logged Quote Beth in MD

Dear Insect Lovers:

Thanks for all the great ideas, ladies. We've continued our study of Eric Carle, and will begin week three tomorrow -- last week we also focused on The Grouchy Ladybug and The Very Clumsy Click-Beetle. We also made clocks -- ours were very simple though. I found a site online, printed them on cardstock. The kids cut, colored and assembled them while I read aloud. I had tons of craft ideas for the ladybugs, but that's the only one we got to.

We made lots of ladybug snacks this week: using crackers, cookies, and apples. Oh, aphid pops (frozen green koolaid), too. We had planned a picnic for Friday, but it was a bit too cold and windy, so we did it inside instead. We spread a blanket on the FR floor, and ate our lady-bug snacks while we watched the Eric Carle Picture Writer video.

We will eventually make our own tissue paper too. So far we've just used the Klutz book. In the book: The Art of Eric Carle, he says he uses wallpaper paste: a thin layer. He says you can use "a thin layer of glue or paste."

We did buy ladybug and butterfly larvae from Insect Lore (www.insectlore.com) --they arrived very quickly, and now the kids are monitoring them in their nature journals.

This week, we're focusing on fireflies (The Very Lonely Firefly) We'll also read Sam & The Firefly and some other firefly stories. We are using that Usborne Bug Search book, too! I forget who posted that idea.

The Enchanted Learning website has lots of print-outs; I give them to my kids on Monday for the particular insect, and by the end of the week they are supposed to have them filled in.

For poetry we've been using the Joyful Noise book, and also Favorite Poems Old and New.

Elizabeth, I'd be happy to send you our weekly lesson plans since we're now on our third week. You'd have to delete a bunch (as EVERYTHING is in there!) Just let me know.

God bless you all,
Beth

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2005 at 7:54am | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

Mr. Rogers did an episode where he met Carle...

But that aside, this is a terrific idea... maybe somthing for our summer term... .

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2005 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Beth, thanks for sharing your ideas. I somehow missed your post again. I like how you've been making bug snacks. My kids love that. We're on our 4th week of Eric Carle now. The Honeybee and the Robber. We're reading about bees, eating Honeycomb cereal, yeah, yeah, yeah....(that jingle is stuck in my head today)making bees out of paper, watching Magic Schoolbus videos. Reading Eric Carle books that aren't about insects. We'll also study ants this week. We're making little books and I'm going to attempt a lapbook at the end. I have The Ultimate Lapbook Handbook, which has some ideas for an insect lapbook in it. Friday we're going to a local science museum. They have a giant (moving robotic)insect exhibit there. The kids say they want to go, but I hope they don't get scared. They were afraid of the dinosaur exhibit last year. Next week - The Very Busy Spider - will be our last. I hope to paint tissue paper and make a collage. We'll have a tea party like Miss Spider. My 2 and 4 yr olds love that book. We'll end with a trip to the museum which is having a Goodnight Moon Exhibit, so we'll read that again too. Then, we've got great plans for the Rainforest.

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2005 at 8:41am | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

oooooooooh.... do tell about the rainforest. DS watched a show about it last night and is very interested...

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2005 at 10:16am | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Rachel,
The Rainforest Plans are in the Rabbit Trails section of this forum. I think that it was Kim and Elizabeth who created them. I'm going to follow their plans but skip the books and ideas that are for older children. I already took 6 books out of the library, I have 2 rainforest books of my own that I might use and I'm going to purchase The Umbrella by Jan Brett.

Beth in MD
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 28 2005 at 7:24pm | IP Logged Quote Beth in MD

Hi Cheryl,
WOW! Your ideas sound great. I'm going to steal some of them for next week, when WE'LL be doing bees and ants! Thanks so much! I love the honeycomb cereal idea. Would never have thought of that one! My kids keep begging me to let them eat that cereal, guess it's time to give in.

We're doing crickets and grasshoppers this week. My son found a recipe for grasshopper pie, so now I guess it's next on the menu!

We made little cricket instruments, also cricket cages out of popsickle sticks and the like... not sure if they'll keep a real cricket in, but they look cute! Girls made crickets out of those little "woodsies" from the craft store and glued them on top (well, one's actually a firefly, but what are you going to do?)

They also made crickets out of clothespins, crickets out of a paper pattern I found... hopped like a cricket... watched Bill Nye, calculated the temperature of the crickets singing on a cricket CD. Wow, this actually spans the spectrum. We read the Cricket in Times Square a few weeks ago; we'll begin the sequel soon (there are many books in this series). There's also a movie, which we picked up today from the library.

Our caterpillars have built their chrysalises, and one adult ladybug emerged today from his/her pupa. We also caught a woollybear caterpillar, which has built its cocoon. WHOA we feel like real entymologists!

Don't know about a local science exhibit for us, except perhaps for the Orkin museum at the Smithsonian. I think we'll go there in a few weeks, once school's "out" (we have just 2 weeks left, officially). There's also a neat butterfly garden we'll check out soon.

Keep sharing!
Beth in MD

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2005 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Beth,
Where did you get your caterpillars and ladybug larvae? Where do you keep them? I might want to get some caterpillars in the summer. I think it's too cold to let butterflies go out here now. Today we placed 5 caps of food around a tiny ant hole at the end of our driveway, then we watched the ants for about 45 minutes. It was a Magic Schoolbus experiment using salt, flour, honey and syrup. We added sugar. After it rained, the ants were very busy. This is my first year of homeschooling and I haven't done much nature study. My ds 6 really seemed to enjoy watching the ants. I want to try to have days like this more often.

Beth in MD
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 28 2005 at 9:48pm | IP Logged Quote Beth in MD

Hi Cheryl,
The ant experiment sounds great! We will definitely try that one this week. You're right, it's a perfect time of year for ant study (we have some that have invaded our home). I think I picked up the magic school bus book on ants today. I hope so, anyway! I had also thought about an ant farm. I know my ds (age9 and a real lover of science) would love that. Not sure if I could handle it though!

They do carry them at www.insectlore.com-- that's where I got the caterpillars and ladybug larvae. You don't have to worry about releasing them too soon -- they come in their own pop-up mesh habitat, and can live in there throughout the life-cycle, if necessary. The ladybugs have a cute little habitat as well -- lots of places to climb and crawl around.

Here are the item numbers:
LK LL 2102 Ladybug Land with live larvae $16.95
LK BG 223? Butterfly Garden with live larvae (pop-up style) $23.95 -- sorry, the item# didn't completely print out. I'll check and see if I kept the catalog.

God bless,
Beth in MD
p.s. we're doing spiders last, too! And other non-insect Eric Carle books, like the chameleon one. That would be a great week to start Charlotte's Web. We just read it last year, but maybe my dd (age 8) will want to read it herself. I LOVE your tea party idea. We'll definitely do that. I think a picnic with the ants sounds good for next week. Need a red-checkered tablecloth! I wanted to do a campout when we studied fireflies (there were some cute activities I found relating to flashlights and fireflies), but we never did. More activities for summer, to review what we learned I guess!

Beth in MD
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 28 2005 at 10:14pm | IP Logged Quote Beth in MD

Cheryl,

Me again. I found the catalog for insect lore, and here are the correct item numbers:

#221 for the butterfly garden (with 5 painted lady butterfly larvae)
#2102 for the ladybug land with 15-20 pink spotted ladybug larvae.

The anthill is item #551 (comes with a certificate which you must send in to get live ants.) There's a smaller version, #605

What next, a beehive?? LOL

Have a blessed day,
Beth in MD

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: April 29 2005 at 7:03am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Beth in MD wrote:
What next, a beehive?? LOL

We had one removed from our backyard just this week after a swarm decided to call our owl box 'home.' Some homeschoolers (who hope to raise the bees) took them, and we're hoping to take a field trip to see them after studying bees. Are there any beekeepers in your area that you could visit?

Beth in MD
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 29 2005 at 10:26pm | IP Logged Quote Beth in MD

Hi Janette,

That sounds really cool. Well, maybe not so great for the owl-watching though!

Yes, actually there's a nursery with a petting zoo nearby where they keep bees. It's perfect timing for picking up some transplants for our garden, too!

Thanks for the input!
Beth in MD

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version