Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Accessorizing for Advent & Lit. Year Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 7:14pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

JodieLyn wrote:
OK, so I go into a little shop down town today.. always fun to browse and I wanted to get some prices for my dh for the fire department Christmas party (Santa gives little gifts to the kids).. and just get to chatting with the clerk and another customer and the clerk pulls out a pretty necklace she likes and I smiled because she mentioned it a fall necklace.. (it was stylized grapes in metal tones and a subdued plum) and I mentioned that I was Catholic and we celebrate Advent and the color of Advent is purple and how I'd been talkingn with a friend about adding a touch of the seasons color to our wardrobe. Well it turns out that she is Catholic as well and has an older son with autism but she said she wanted to try and get back to Mass and I was able to give her information like that the Bishop will be here. And also that the daily Masses are very quiet with fewer people. Her son doesn't deal with crowds well. She even wrote down some of the info.

What a great story, Jodie!! A God-incidence, no doubt!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 7:23pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Betsy wrote:
Mary,
Where have I been? I have never heard that before about Peacocks! I love it! Are there other symbolic animals like that? Bees, maybe?

Beautiful and delicate lily earrings would be perfect for St. Joseph's Feast days, as well as for the Annunciation and St. Gabriel's Feast.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Those are lovely, Jen!

Betsy wrote:
Mary,
Where have I been? I have never heard that before about Peacocks! I love it! Are there other symbolic animals like that? Bees, maybe?

Yes, BEES - for St. Ambrose (which just passed Dec. 7), St. Bernard of Clairvaux, St. Benedict, and also related to Easter - especially Easter Vigil for the wax of the Easter candles.

May I suggest twig-and-pearl-bracelet?

Praise of Bees from the Exsultet wrote:
In the grace of this night, then, O Father, receive for an evening sacrifice this burning light, which holy Church renders unto Thee at the hand of her ministers in the solemn offering of this candle of wax, wrought by bees. Now we know the glory of this column which God's bright flame kindles. Though divided into parts, yet it suffers no loss from the light which it imparts. For it is fed from the melted wax which the mother bee wrought for the substance of this precious lamp.

Other symbols:
fish (of course)
dove (of course)
lamb (of course)
pelican (hmmm...that would be interesting)
butterfly
turtledove
scarab
owl
cock
scallop
ladybug

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 7:37pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Oooooh...and just found this:
Quote:
In the Medieval period the beehive was a symbol of the Virgin Mary, who bore within herself "all sweetness," i.e. Jesus)

That with the pearl beads in the bracelet above make it a really lovely bracelet for Our Lady.

Going to go research that symbolism further.

And guess where I am headed right now...?? TARGET!!!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 7:39pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Bursting pomegranate
Phoenix
Butterfly

All Easter/Resurrection symbols.

Unicorn is a symbol of Jesus.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 10:46pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

MaryM wrote:

pelican (hmmm...that would be interesting)

So there is some pretty pelican jewelry - who would have thought...

The design of this piece is even explicitly related to the reason pelicans are associated with Christ - sacrificial love.
Quote:
Pelican: The Pelican is a symbol of the atonement and the Redeemer and is often found in Christian murals, frescos, paintings and stained glass. The pelican was believed to wound itself in order to feed its young with its own blood. In the hymn "Adoro Te," St. Thomas Aquinas addresses the Savior with, "Pelican of Mercy, cleanse me in Thy Precious Blood." Allusion is even made to this belief in "Hamlet" (act iv): "To his good friend thus wide I'll ope my arms And, like the kind, life-rendering pelican, Repast them with my blood."

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 12:48pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

So, I ended up getting the scarf last night...but having second thoughts. It is much wider than the other ones I've been wearing so feels pretty bulky. And the purple and pink are just different enough than the purple and pink I already have that it won't go with any of it. Now granted that would probably be too much purple or pink anyway and it does go with the black, white, or gray.

Now back to the jewelry and symbolism discussion. While looking for more peacocks also looked for cocks. I've always just associated the cock with Peter, Good Friday, etc. but this summary tied it to Oriens/Dawn - since obviously the rooster is the harbinger of the dawn.
Quote:
Cock: the cock is the harbinger of the dawn, and "Oriens" -- "Dawn" -- is one of the titles for Christ (used especially in the O Antiphons during Advent). It is, then, a general symbol for Hope. Further, it is ancient belief that the cock's crow breaks enchantments and evil spells. Prudentius (d. 861), Bishop of Troyes, wrote "They say that the night-wandering demons, who rejoice in dunnest shades, at the crowing of the cock tremble and scatter in sore affright."

SO...that got me thinking it would be nice for the first O antiphon, which got me thinking, how about a bracelet or necklace of the O Antiphons with charms to wear all week?

Brainstorming symbols to use here.

Sapientia/Wisdom – eye
Adonai/Lord – ?
Radix/Root – tree, branch
Clavis/Key – key
Oriens/Dawn – cock/rooster
Rex/King – crown
Emmanuel - crib or chi rho

Having trouble with ideas for Adonai - tablets?

Other symbols for wisdom? I have mixed feelings about the all seeing eye. You do find it in Christian art and it is used in most of the O antiphon symbolism, but it is also considered a big masonic symbol and has different meaning in Egyptian symbolism. Would you use an alternative? Wisdom is often associated with the owl but in Christian art the owl has other meanings so isn't a wisdom symbol there.

Our Domestic Church

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 12:59pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

You and your daughter need an etsy shop.

Wisdom: book, open book, dove, scroll, oil lamp

Adonai/Lord: Burning bush is a symbol, so a bush could be used. One book I have says the word Adonai could be used with either a triangle, double triangle or rays around it. As a stretch a triangle could be used.

Root of Jesse is also pictured as a flower with the root, or a stump.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 1:21pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JennGM wrote:
oil lamp

I like that one.

Our Domestic Church

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 3:53pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

I love the idea of an O Antiphon bracelet (with purple and pink beads)!   

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 08 2014 at 2:24am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Coming back to this thread as I am in a liturgical jewelry making mood. Lots of ideas here and I didn't follow through... but am determined since it is Craft Month to do something for Lent.

A couple purple/Lent colored earring styles I am liking:

Our Domestic Church

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 08 2014 at 7:18am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Ooh, the second and third pairs are my favorites! I neeeeeeeeed some purple earrings!

I've been trying to figure out some subtle purple outfits for Lent, especially for Sundays when I'm teaching Faith Formation -- I do like to wear liturgical colors (though not so much in Ordinary Time!), so I can ask them why I'm wearing purple, or whatever.

On one of our snow days I went through a natural-dyeing mania and dyed a bunch of things with blueberries, including a big white linen shirt, which came out the most beautiful pale shade of purple. I'm planning to get a lot of wear out of that once the weather warms up a little. And I already have a thrift-shop J. Jill purple linen skirt that I wore for Ash Wednesday.

I just gave away my last red dress, so will be up a creek at Pentecost!

And it's a long time away now, but I love that O Antiphon bracelet idea.

Sally

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 13 2014 at 8:50am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

I saw these gorgeous peacock earrings on Pinterest the other day and thought of this thread.

Plus

Lily earrings

Lily brooch

And here's some total fantasy liturgical jewelry!

eta: And then there's this lovely thing. Olive branch? Tree of Jesse?

There's so much flower-themed jewelry out there, too -- given how many flowers have some kind of Marian connection, it would be all too easy to have a Mary Garden thing going on in your jewelry.

I'm kind of a jewelry geek -- I don't have that much, but I know what I like! And I often wear things because they have some kind of liturgical meaning, even if it's kind of a private one, that no one else would necessarily pick up on. I have a dog brooch, for example, modeled on a figure from the tapestries in the Musee de Cluny in Paris -- I think of him as my "fidelity/faith" brooch. So when I wear him, he's a nice little reminder, although all most people would think is, "Oh, she's wearing a dog pin."

Sally

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 13 2014 at 11:40am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Love the jewelry you linked, Sally. I think subtle and understated is lovely. I also like the idea of the private devotion that these symbols we are wearing can inspire. I do think of it more as a reminder to myself than a notice to the world to recognize.   I have been working on ideas for some of those subtle symbols to incorporate into the pieces.

Our Domestic Church

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 13 2014 at 7:10pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

The liturgical colors are great, too, though, and jewelry can be a good way to incorporate colors that maybe we wouldn't look as good wearing all over, or don't want to wear all over every day of a season.

I'll keep my Pinteresting eye out for some more good things. I love antique/historical jewelry, especially of the Art Nouveau/Arts and Crafts variety, and there are lots of beautiful flower shapes, among other things.

Sally

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2015 at 12:59pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

I wanted to bump this thread up in light our 10 year anniversary! This conversation has inspired my entire Pinterest board!!!! I keep finding new inspirational things!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version