Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Blessed Miguel Pro - Nov. 23 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 1:51am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

No past thread specific for Bl. Miguel Pro (or other Mexican martyrs for that matter) - can't believe it. So starting one so there is more than just passing mention in tangent threads.

I want to do something special for his feast day this year with our group.   I got the Celebrating Blessed Miguel Pro: Crafts, Activities & Games book by Veronica Maria of Paper Dali a year ago in hopes of using it for some ideas. So that is one resource I'll use.

On the Paper Dali site there is also:
Bl. Miguel Pro paper doll
Miguel Pro card
Triptych
Vee had a linky fiesta for the feast day in 2010 on her blog but not finding any links left (am I missing something?)

Ann Ball's former website on Bl. Miguel Pro - now maintained by a Jesuit at Creigton.
Blessed Miguel Pro, S.J.

And Ann Ball's childrens book - Jose Finds the King: A Bl. Miguel Pro Story

Treasure Chest of Fun and Fact - the archived old comic books I've shared before has a Miguel Pro story! It's a 10 part series - excellent!

::Love to see your ideas posted here (Kacky, I found your blog post from the linky fiesta - you should post ideas here!)

::And add ideas for the other Mexican matryrs (Bl. Jose Sanchez del Rio, St. Miguel de la Mora, etc.)

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 2:04am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Was super excited to see that Glory Stories has a brand new Bl. Miguel Pro

This is in addition to the others they already have on the Mexican martyrs - Bl. Jose Sanchez del Rio and St. Miguel de la Mora of the Knights of Columbus - these Glory Story cds are great, if you haven't heard of them I'm giving my thumbs up .

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 5:26am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

Mary, thanks for starting this thread!

I wanted to include that there is a specific Chaplet for Bl. Miguel Pro.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 10:04am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

And don't forget in context is St. Christopher Magallanes and Companions, May 21.

My husband and I recently watched "For Greater Glory" and just loved it. St. Christopher and Blessed Jose are featured throughout. Very inspiring, and quite a movie for our times, considering the events of the past week.

Crisis Magazine by George Weigel "The Cristeros and Us".

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 11:06am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Blessed Miguel Pro is also included in the volume: Modern Saints, Volume 2 by Ann Ball.

OOP, but another book includes Miguel Pro No Strangers to Violence, No Strangers to Love (Twentieth Century Christian Heroes) by Boniface Hanley.

Both of these books include the numerous photographs of Miguel Pro, including the ones of his martyrdom.

The Daughters of St. Paul have a comic/coloring book, Blessed Miguel Pro.

For youth reading, I love the OOP Encounter book by DSP, God's Secret Agent about Miguel Pro.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 1:50pm | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

Thanks so much, Ladies, my son just read a biography of Miguel Pro...wow, he learned a lot! I’ll plan on incorporating some of these activities into our day for his feast.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 3:12pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Since Bl. Miguel Pro's feast always falls near the Feast of the Christ the King - it makes it a really great time to proclaim "Viva Cristo Rey!"

There is not an explicit connection to the two but so many ties. I think this is such a great connection - one we never heard about growing up, but one that I have in recent years heard homilies on the connections. Pope Pius XI established the feast in 1925 - a time of rising secularism and dangerous dictatorships. Bl. Miguel Pro served and died at this same time (1927 martyred). The feast was originally was the last Sunday in October. In 1960 is was moved to last Sunday before Advent so is always end of November - Bl. Miguel Pro was martyred on Nov. 23 so the Feast of Christ the King is always near that date.

Our Domestic Church

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 2:19pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Here is that Link to some ideas I have done with kiddos in a group setting for Bl. Miguel Pro. Thanks MaryM for reminding me I had this post...oh the Swiss cheese brain I have!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 2:48pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Thanks, Kacky - I love the Dress up Relay idea and the Tricycle Races!

Our Domestic Church

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version