Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Advent Calendar Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 01 2012 at 11:57am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Booksnbabes wrote:
I thought this was lovely and a good idea with doing acts of kindness during Advent. It could, of course, be customized with scripture, etc.

Those are beautiful! maybe next year if i get organized sooner...

I wound up making a very simple Advent countdown "bowl". We usually do a chain, but I was ready for something different this year. I am trying to teach my dc that praying for someone by name is a real gift for them. In that spirit, I bought a bag of Kraft caramels, which are square. Then I cut strips of purple paper to make a bow of sorts, and on the reverse side I wrote the name of someone to pray for (family member, poor souls, etc)

Each day in Advent one caramel can be removed from the bowl, but you have to say a prayer for the person on the bow before you can eat it. The bowl will empty as we get closer to Christmas. Our prayers will be a gift to offer to the Baby Jesus.

I also bought the chocolate/scripture verse calendar I linked above from the Catholic Company. That way each kid will have something to do each day calendar-wise. And I have an extra dish of caramels with names on them handy for anyone who would like to do some extra praying. There are so many people who need our prayers.

This craft only took a few minutes to set up- and it could be expanded for
a large family. Here are a couple of pictures:

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 06 2013 at 4:32am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I just found some really cute blank Advent calendars with drawers that reminded me of Mary's. Kaisercraft has a few different options. I'm not sure of the prices, but a quick google search had them come up in the $20-35 range.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 06 2013 at 9:22am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

CrunchyMom wrote:
I just found some really cute blank Advent calendars with drawers that reminded me of Mary's. Kaisercraft has a few different options. I'm not sure of the prices, but a quick google search had them come up in the $20-35 range.

But it's Australia. Did you find any in the US?

I was swooning over this Advent Calendar kit. This is so similar to my friend's Jesse Tree Calendar, with pockets and small felt ornaments. Just lovely. Some other time perhaps!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 06 2013 at 11:00am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

JennGM wrote:
CrunchyMom wrote:

But it's Australia. Did you find any in the US?

When I googled "kaisercraft advent calendar", lots of US options came up like meijer, amazon, staples, etc...

JennGM wrote:
I was swooning over this Advent Calendar kit. This is so similar to my friend's Jesse Tree Calendar, with pockets and small felt ornaments. Just lovely. Some other time perhaps!

That's beautiful! Wow. I think I have almost all I would need to make it except the bigger pieces of felt and beads. St. Nicholas is bringing the boys sewing supplies and the winky cherry 1st book/dvd. I actually have a lot of nice wool felt I bought years ago . Maybe I could have the boys sew ornaments like these (very similar to the patterns in the book), and I can make the calendar and sew on the embellishments for next year. It won't be so perfect, of course, but it would be "ours." I wish they sold it as a pattern and not just a kit.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2013 at 11:47am | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Don't know if anyone else has shared this Advent book set, but it was a favorite when dc were young.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 06 2013 at 2:14pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

CrunchyMom wrote:

JennGM wrote:

That's beautiful! Wow. I think I have almost all I would need to make it except the bigger pieces of felt and beads. St. Nicholas is bringing the boys sewing supplies and the winky cherry 1st book/dvd. I actually have a lot of nice wool felt I bought years ago . Maybe I could have the boys sew ornaments like these (very similar to the patterns in the book), and I can make the calendar and sew on the embellishments for next year. It won't be so perfect, of course, but it would be "ours." I wish they sold it as a pattern and not just a kit.

I wish it was, too. I have always wanted to make a felt calendar like this. The one I have in mind needs to have some pleated pockets, though. I think these might be a little tight.

I think I might have finally given away my book, but Teach Us To Number Our Days: A Liturgical Advent Calendar by Barbara Baumgarten has some really good ideas on how to create an Advent Calendar, with various choices. I can't find mine to get the exact ideas.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 04 2013 at 6:25pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Late to this party but I wanted to share...

For the past few years we've purchased calendars with chocolate from Trader Joes. Well, they no longer carry them. So, John Paul and I went looking to make one. Some of you know I'm craft impaired so it needed to be simple. If you scroll down to the bottom of this page you'll see the one we chose. I used blank white index cards, numbered them with purple colored pencils, and JP added a pink highlighter stripe across the bottom of each card. We tied them with gold ribbon to our tree that is up with only purple lights for Advent. JP loves it!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 21 2014 at 7:00am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Bumping this one up because it's just about that time!

I wish I could find an Advent calendar with dark chocolate

I know my kids would love the Lego Advent Calendars out this year- especially the Star Wars one, but yipes- they are expensive- also, they don't really say "Advent" to me (though they do say "fun").

What are your Advent calendar plans for this year?

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 12 2014 at 5:11pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

This years calendar from The Catholic Company is really pretty.
King of Kings Advent Calendar

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 13 2014 at 8:01am | IP Logged Quote Christine

MaryM wrote:

Thanks for sharing. It is beautiful!

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

Syncletica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 25 2014 at 8:57pm | IP Logged Quote Syncletica

We have just revamped our Advent Activities and made them available as downloads.
And, if I may put in a plug for my dd13, she just did her very first publication called "A Christmas Storybook for the Young and Young at Heart". It's chalk full of old stories and poems to take the family from Advent all the way through to Epiphany.    I'm very proud of her.

"Live as though your judge were to meet you today, and you will not fear Him when He does come." - St. Augustine
Back to Top View Syncletica's Profile Search for other posts by Syncletica Visit Syncletica's Homepage

Booksnbabes
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 26 2014 at 7:46am | IP Logged Quote Booksnbabes

MaryM wrote:

And with code BLACKSHIP, shipping is free (no minimum!) until Nov. 30th.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version