Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: Getting Things Done Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 08 2012 at 1:19pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I looked into the Getting Things Done system a few years ago but never really took the time to wrap my head around it all as a homemaker. Through the years, as I've decided to try to be more organized, I've kept it in the back of my mind. Then a few weeks ago, I bought the summary of the book for kindle thinking that I would be more likely to read it than the whole thing. I've spent some vacation time reading through it and taking notes, and then I started looking for ways that others may have applied it specifically to homemaking.

It must be fate that I was working on it this week since a Charlotte Mason blogger has started a "31 Days" series on Getting Things Done for Homemakers.

Stef, I know that you've utilized this system for years, and I would love to hear your insights!!

I've also found this system that is based on it but gives Moms detailed instructions and materials for implementing it. I'm intrigued, but I find that most "Mom" systems are geared towards lifestyles very different from my own, so I'm skeptical given the cost.

I do find that with age, aging children, and longer years spent sleep deprived, I really am starting to feel overwhelmed by everything rattling around in my brain incessantly. The idea of having a trusted system for keeping my brain free is more appealing than ever! I have so many ideas, projects, and goals for organizing, I think perhaps having a system in place will be the key in getting any of it done.

Some of the principles that have stood out at me are
  • Defining the end of a given project at outset. You can always do more and thus never feel the project is finished and off your plate even though you won't be doing more realistically.
  • A weekly overview of your system to stay on top of things (I've found this helps a lot, and now that my boys have started German school again, I'm eager to have my Sunday afternoons for this time).

Gotta run. I look forward to sharing some of my notes later, and I'd love to here if anyone has implemented this and how.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Amber-v
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Oct 08 2012 at 2:36pm | IP Logged Quote Amber-v

I really like the ideas in GTD and I use the Things app on my iPad to dump stuff, keep my todo list, and keeping tabs on what needs to be done today. I am not good at planning projects in it though. I usually will just put a todo item in for a project, work on that one and what ever comes next (as there is time) then add another todo item for whatever comes next once I run out of time. Not quite as formal but it works pretty well ( so long as I remember to log that todo item for what comes next!!)

I am looking forward to reading the links you shared - I am always eager to improve in this area because it brings so much peace of mind!

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 08 2012 at 4:19pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

My husband is a huge fan of this system though he often fails (by his own admission) to actually use it i.e. actually making the time for that weekly review. I read the book when he got into it and thought, "This needs to be tweaked quite a bit for homemakers." But I was not, apparently the one to do that :) But I have definitely been consistent about a few key details over the years. One is that I use a three-ring binder (a half-size one) for keeping all my lists. Then I can move pages around for projects or tear out a too-cluttered list and start one fresh. I keep things separated by just using a 3M post-it tabon the preceding notebook page and then writing on it.

I also have gotten better about writing down everything and labeling everything. I could be better. But I used to not bother posting meal plans or daily routines or writing down school plans. I've slowly realized that my brain isn't what it used to be. Or, more likely, I hope, my life is that much more full.

I also just recently gained a regular "office" time three mornings a week for 45 minutes so I really need to revisit this and reconquer my desk. I have a theoretically awesome filing system that has been buried for over a year.

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 08 2012 at 9:44pm | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

Looks great! Hoping to have a chance to look into the blog a little.

wife since 6/03, Mom to son 7/04, daughter 2/06, twin sons 6/08 and son 7/11, son 1/2014
Back to Top View AmandaV's Profile Search for other posts by AmandaV

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 08 2012 at 10:27pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Hi Lindsay! Yes, I've been a GTD fan for a while now. It works when I work it :)

I've tried Toodledo online, on paper, and on my iPod touch to help me out, and they've all been helpful to a point. These days I have a Nexus 7 that's my constant companion so I'm using an Android App called "Astrid". I like it but I'm not using it to its full potential yet, with subtasks, etc.

Actually I should clarify. My current system is a dual-system == Astrid + index cards. The index cards are grouped into "this week", "this month", "this quarter" and "sometime in the future". The ones for "this week" are entered into Astrid, and Astrid reminds me every single day of what I haven't done yet. The messages are funny (and sometimes annoying ) but they do help. Sometimes I do things just so I don't get the reminder anymore!!

It's the weekly overview that ALWAYS gets me, I guess I'm still not disciplined enough that it's a habit, though I am getting better and I'm definitely better than a few years ago.

My biggest frustration with the system is still my own expectations. Somehow when I first got started I thought it would almost magically make it possible for me to REALLY get EVERYTHING done, and obviously, years later, "everything" still isn't done. I've also been frustrated with how SLOW projects are. BUT I've also seen some triumphs -- so I pat myself on the back for those, and just go back to my hubby's favorite advice with regards to task management: ONE THING AT A TIME. He is such a wise man.   

I've also tried to teach the system to my kids, but only one has really paid attention and even there she doesn't yet work the system on her own; I have to sit by her and guide her. I have seen improvements though.

Here's a GTD post I did in July. hth!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 17 2012 at 4:06pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Thank you, Stef! The links in your post were helpful. I think that Mystie, doing the series I referenced above, is linked on your post. She blogged about GTD on an older blog, and now, she has it organized and broken down a bit better, though much is the same.

I was visiting my family while reading, and I did get a lot of the brainstorming done there, which was nice.

Today, I got a little sidetracked emptying my Inbox. It took FOREVER--there were THOUSANDS of emails there! But, once I started, I wanted to finish!

I'm working on organizing some of my lists onto clipboards. I know from past experience that binders don't work well for me for things I'm supposed to actually USE. I'm very out of sight, out of mind, so I at least need my Next Action lists easily accessible.

I'm also planning to continue using Cozi for my grocery and errand lists, especially since DH does so much of our shopping. I'm also using my Family-Centered calendar.

In her posts, Mystie says

Quote:
The principle is that your calendar should show you the “hard lines” of your day, around which you can fit in items from your task list and handle things as they arise.

and

Quote:
Teal is my menu plan; after all, these people insist on eating three times a day — I’d call that a hard line!

It reminded me of how JenMack shared in a post that I cannot for the life of me find how she keeps her menu plan in her Catholic Day Planner.

SusanMc
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 17 2012 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote SusanMc

I've been following along with the 31 days and it has made me see why I've been so nuts since our move in June. All my routines have shifted! Added to that the fact that I've been keeping a list of things to be done in each room in the new house...well that master list was quite long. I think I'm going to check out the CDs from the library tomorrow as going through this piecemeal is a little maddening. At this point just organizing the lists seems HUGE!

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 17 2012 at 7:55pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Well, you can go to the post Stef linked, and one of the links is actually the same woman doing the 31 days. It is basically the same, so you can move along through her summary instead of waiting.

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 18 2012 at 7:02am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

I need this! Where do I start? Do you think the 31 Days... series is enough or should I read the book?

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 18 2012 at 7:24am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I think that you are probably fine with the summary. I had bought the summary of the book from Amazon. It is a thick book, and I really didn't think I would get through it, and much of it relates anecdotally to business.

I read the kindle summary, but I took the bulk of my notes reading HER original summary here after that. I don't have a good sense for whether her summary made more sense in light of the original or not, but I THINK her summary is sufficient. I can't think of anything about the system she doesn't address.

It isn't quite as choppy because there was no need to put it in a 31 day format. I'm enjoying the 31 days format as a review, but it isn't necessarily broken out into steps that you could do those days, if that makes sense. It is good for me, though, since I have already done a lot of the initial "brain dumping" and am trying set up my system logistically.

I really wish I could SEE that Power of Moms set. It is just so pricey. They do have a money back guarantee if it doesn't meet your expectations. It seems oriented towards the traditional school scene "mom paper" management, so I really think that Mystie's thoughts are going to match more intuitively to my own. However, they go into more specifics, like a shopping list, etc... That appeals on one level, but realistically, when have I ever followed a "curriculum" to the letter, yk?

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 18 2012 at 8:09am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I just found a You Tube Series where the author talks about and walks you through the Mind Organization for Moms (from Power of Mom) program.

Sometimes it is nice to SEE what she's talking about. I only watched the first video so far, but just the fact that she is sitting at her desk, pointing to things as she describes her system is a help to me.

monica4patience
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Nov 09 2012 at 7:46am | IP Logged Quote monica4patience

I absolutely love the Power of Moms "Mind Organization for Moms". They have done a thorough job of translating "Getting Things Done" in a way that makes sense for moms. I have my system built, although I must say I'm not as good about following through. But as Flylady says, "Jump in where you are," and that's just what I do!

We just brought DS12 home to school the end of October, so these last 2 weeks have been intense learning about homeschooling. Little else time for anything, let alone planning other things!

I'm sure that the Power of Moms system will work for homeschooling families. There's really no reason it shouldn't. As I get into a routine with homeschooling and adapt my Rule of Life and my M.O.M. (Mind Organization for Moms) system, I'll let you know how it works for me.
Back to Top View monica4patience's Profile Search for other posts by monica4patience

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 09 2012 at 8:05am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I look forward to your sharing your insights! Thanks!

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 21 2013 at 8:43am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Misti Winckler's E-Book Getting Things Done for Homemakers is free for the month of October!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version