Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: how do you plan your liturgical year... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CelesteMary
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 18 2012 at 7:52pm | IP Logged Quote CelesteMary

Hello everyone. I am a convert to the faith 4 years now. The catholic faith is so rich and beautiful. I have been trying to figure our homeschool around the faith instead of the faith coming second fiddle to the curriculum.

Are there any good books out there that break the feast days down? and ordinary time, advent, easter and so on?

I guess you could simply look at your calendar and do your own research?

Any suggestions on how you do this would be priceless to me.

Thanks

Aagot
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 18 2012 at 9:39pm | IP Logged Quote Aagot

I really like this book
Back to Top View Aagot's Profile Search for other posts by Aagot

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 18 2012 at 11:32pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Oh definately do some searching here.. the ladies here are so knowledgeable about it.. most of my ideas have come from here and they've been soooooo very helpful with figuring out what takes precidence on any given day and why some years some of the Saints' days aren't celebrated because something else is happening and all that sort of thing.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 19 2012 at 8:43am | IP Logged Quote Mimip

If you search at the very top of this forum, you'll see topics that are always at the top. (I think they are called sticky topics????) Anyways one of them has a planning the liturgical year topic with months and seasons.   Start there, there are a TON of resources!!!

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 19 2012 at 9:22am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mimip wrote:
If you search at the very top of this forum, you'll see topics that are always at the top. (I think they are called sticky topics????) Anyways one of them has a planning the liturgical year topic with months and seasons.   Start there, there are a TON of resources!!!

Yes, just what I was going to say.

I would start with a calendar -- your family calendar and the liturgical year calendar. You need a good understanding of the priorities of the Church's calendar: Easter is the highest feast of the year, Solemnities are the highest ranking feast, and Sundays are a little Easter and Solemnity. Feasts are next, then Memorials and Optional Memorials. But then there are the liturgical seasons, Advent, Christmas, Lent, Easter, which take precedence over feast days (even moving St. Joseph and the Annunciation which are Solemnities).

After forming yourself on the Church's priorities, plan your year. Highlight days that would be a MUST for celebrating (all the solemnities, many feasts), and highlight big patron saints for your family (namedays, favorite saints). After honing in on the key dates, then get some ideas on how to celebrate. Mass is first and the best, and nothing has to be overly elaborate to bring the Liturgy home.

Liturgical seasons you could pick a theme or common activity to do throughout the season. When my son was younger I did my schooling themed around Advent and picture books.

My main planning book is the Missal. I look at the readings and the prayers for the day, to see what the Church's theme is for the feast. I add activities, but I try not to overcomplicate or overwhelm.

My favorite book that really gives an overview of the Liturgical Year completely tied with the Liturgy that both children and adults enjoy is Introduction to the Liturgical Year by Inos Biffi.

There are loads of books out there. I haven't really found one that is a "one size fits all and to use for all year". I tend to like to think about WHY celebrate, what are we aiming to live the Liturgy in the home. I do like the angle of cooking with the liturgical year, but I keep that simple. I love finding out historical and cultural traditions. It's something about feeling connected with the whole Mystical Body of Christ, not just present, but the past, too.

The stickies has loads of resources and I know I'm repeating myself somewhat. But I'll give a few suggestions here. My favorite in-print cookbook is A Continual Feast by Evelyn Vitz.

My favorite book of all time, but the original is out of print, Cooking for Christ: the liturgical year in the kitchen by Florence Berger. This was originally printed in 1949 in hardback. There have been plastic comb binding reprints over the decades. The book is in print right now, but drastically revised, so if you can keep looking for an original copy, I think it's worth up to $50 to find a copy.

Two websites that are my main planning tools are Women for Faith and Family. If you want planning resources for Advent/Christmas and Lent/Easter, their sourcebooks are TERRIFIC!

Catholic Culture is the other one. The Liturgical Year section was my creation before I had to stop working when I had my son. It's not organized exactly the way I wanted it...so it's harder to navigate, but I KNOW there is a treasure trove on that site because I put my library on there!

Some my favorite older books that are online or you could find used by Helen Mcloughlin (pamphlets for Advent, Christmas and Easter) and a good thinking overview Beginning at Home by Mary Perkins (Ryan).

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 19 2012 at 9:23am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, I meant to add I incorporate sacred music and chant throughout the year, also.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

CelesteMary
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 19 2012 at 12:14pm | IP Logged Quote CelesteMary

Thanks so much for these great ideas. I can't wait to get into them and slowly incorporate them into our homeschool life. I really don't want the faith and curriculum to be separate, but one and the same and I have been doing a pretty bad job of it.

Thanks again!
Back to Top View CelesteMary's Profile Search for other posts by CelesteMary

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 19 2012 at 1:10pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

CelesteMary, I do think you would find that FAQ thread we compiled to be of assistance. It is the one Mimi suggested. It has links to lots of old threads ad resources summaries. This topic has much to sift through and consider and since it is such a frequently asked question it is one of the reasons we put the FAQ together. It's been awhile since we've updated. Jenn, Lindsay, and I should probably look at doing that.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 19 2012 at 3:54pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

you may also want to check out the thread on The Year of Faith

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

CelesteMary
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 20 2012 at 5:19pm | IP Logged Quote CelesteMary

I've been looking through the threads here and there and am so thankful for the wealth of knowledge you ladies have. I just ordered the book Aagot recommended on Amazon.

I also stumbled upon a free feast day cookbook online by googling Feast Day Cookbook EWTN.

I love the idea of cooking for the feast days!

Celeste
Back to Top View CelesteMary's Profile Search for other posts by CelesteMary

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 20 2012 at 5:24pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Oh!! check out Catholic Cuisine!!!!

And also remember that something iconic and special doesn't have to be a lot of work or fancy.. I've found that I often don't have much free time on Marian Holy Days.. vanilla ice cream with blue sprinkles is well recieved and quite pretty

-Sir Walter Scott

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 21 2012 at 1:49am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

CelesteMary wrote:
I also stumbled upon a free feast day cookbook online by googling Feast Day Cookbook EWTN.

Was it Feast Day Cookbook (Burton & Ripperger)? I realized we didn't have that one linked in our FAQ and just added it.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

CelesteMary
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 21 2012 at 8:04am | IP Logged Quote CelesteMary

Yes, that's the one. Eventually I will pick up a hard copy of a good feast day cookbook, but since this one is free, it's a good start.

CelesteMary
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 21 2012 at 8:07am | IP Logged Quote CelesteMary

Thanks Jodie, I will.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 5:14pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I figured this thread would be a good place to post about a newer resource from Illuminated Ink. I hadn't seen it before. It looks like an awesome way to teach about and plan around the liturgical year in your homeschool.

Sacred Seasons Liturgical Calendar

I LOVE LOVE LOVE their coloring pages, and like Maria in the review below, have wished they would compile them.

Maria Rioux has a very thorough review of the product.
Quote:
Sacred Seasons: A Liturgical Calendar
Illuminated ink @2011
By Maria Rioux

For years I have loved illuminated Ink's coloring contests. That's not because I ever won one. ;) The pictures were so beautiful, full of symbolism, so rich while also a melding of east and west: stained glass art and iconography. I kept thinking it would be terrific if they pulled them together into some sort of cohesive whole. And they have, while also adding to the collection. They have created a liturgical calendar: Sacred Seasons, and it will certainly help you begin to do what JPII recommends we all do: "The best way to enter into the mystery of salvation made present in the sacred 'signs' remains that of following faithfully the unfolding of the liturgical year." Pope John Paul II, Apostolic Letter Mane Nobiscum Domine.

That quote is the first you will encounter when you open this calendar, and is, I think, its reason for being. I am especially grateful because, though I well know that man learns through his senses (Aristotle), I'm not that good at pulling together any kind of artsy/symbolically meaningful project. This time, I don't have to. Illuminated Ink has done it for me.

First of all, everything is provided, and one has the right to copy the pictures for their family/class in doing this project. That ought not to be abused and extended year upon year, but I have to admit it was nice for Sam to be able to take several stabs at the same coloring page, and for Will not to have to live with the lavender eyelids he initially thought might be perfect for Mary. Both not only made better color choices, they improved in all kinds of ways - shading and details, and it was, I think, because each was building upon such a strong foundation. It was so rewarding. We started with a beautiful work of art, and then personalized it. Along the way, as we drew, we reflected upon the symbolism and it was almost a prayer. It was certainly a fulfillment of JPII's hope, and one we look forward to building upon as we live the liturgical year with the help of "Sacred Seasons".

You can jump into the liturgical year at any point, though we do happen to be just a couple weeks into this one: the Year of Faith. It's a wonderful time to tackle such a project, but because Illuminated Ink has made it so easy, so beautiful, so simple, tackle is the wrong word.

This is what you get: a beautiful binder, that will last and be treasured, with everything you need enclosed. It's so well-designed, I think my engineering friends would be very happy. Every season has a corresponding artwork, rich with symbolism beautifully detailed and explained. The theological distinctions of each season are explained as well: why we delineate, what is the significance of liturgical colors, what makes this season stand apart from the others, and how we embrace that day to day through the saints and feasts of the Church. It is not going to take you a third of the year to figure this out. In fact, everything is supplied and the directions so concise and clear, you can hit the ground running. It's universal, too. Differences in solemnities and fast days from diocese to diocese/country to country are allowed for. Everything is linked to the online liturgical calendar, and saint stickers are alphabetized, making it a snap to find whoever you're looking for.

Lastly, the binder is generous. You could easily add to it, writing about favorite saints or adding your own artwork, but it stands strong on its own. You will grow in faith with your children while also making a lifelong memory, a thing of beauty.

The coupon code "LitCal" will give you 15% off your entire order until January 31, 2013.

Our Domestic Church

mamaslearning
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 18 2012 at 6:59am | IP Logged Quote mamaslearning

Thank you Jennifer for your thoughts! Giving a step-by-step is extremely helpful for me! I can peruse all the resources out there, but have a hard time pulling things together. Even thought I'm not the OP, I'm so grateful for this simple look at planning a year.

Back to Top View mamaslearning's Profile Search for other posts by mamaslearning

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 8:59pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
I figured this thread would be a good place to post about a newer resource from Illuminated Ink. I hadn't seen it before. It looks like an awesome way to teach about and plan around the liturgical year in your homeschool.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE their coloring pages, and like Maria in the review below, have wished they would compile them.

I ordered mine! I cannot wait! I saw a preview at IHM and couldn't wait for it to be available.

I also ordered another set of year long coloring pages for the saints of the liturgical year by Mary MacArthur. I really like her artwork. The cost is about the same as Illuminated Ink, $29. Each month she will send a .pdf of the saints of that month. Click around her blog to see some of her work:

St. Andre Bessette
Saints Basil and Gregory
Solemnity of Mary
Immaculate Conception
St. Nicholas
St. John Damascene
St. Francis Xavier

My youngest just loves to color. He'll just grab some crayons and a coloring book even for short car rides. So I know he'll enjoy this, and the Illuminated Ink. My oldest prefers drawing, so coloring was kind of lost on him!

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 20 2012 at 5:29am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

MaryM wrote:

I ordered one too! So excited! A Christmas gift to myself!

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version